Resources for Editing Astrophotography

genesiusj

Followers
Following
Name
Genesius Jaromsky
I use DarkTable as my raw editor. There are many LR and PS resources that answer my question, but not having worked with either, translating the steps from LR/PS to DT is impossible.

When editing single exposure images of The Milky Way what DT modules/settings do you use; or what online DT resources did you use to learn/practice your techniques?
Also, with the below image, I know there is lens flare on the lower right from the building’s light, as well as on the upper left. Is the cloudy cluster inbetween The Milky Way, or more of the lens flare? I’ve included a second pic (screenshot) from Stellarium for the date/time of my image, and I believe this cloudy cluster in my image should be The Milky Way.

Members have my permission to edit my image, in DT only, as long as you provide the list of detailed editing steps you took AND the sidecar file in your response.
License: Night Skies - Sodus Bay © 2024 by Genesius Jaromsky is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/

DSC07666.ARW (23.7 MB)

Stellarium - Sodus Point NY - 04.27.2024 - 0312am
Stellarium - Sodus Point NY - 04.27.2024 - 0312am3148×1050 174 KB

Thanks and God bless.
🙏
📷

Last edited:
Resources... I see you've already discovered pixls.us :D

Resources... I see you've already discovered pixls.us :D
:D The one source I just learned was using Creative Commons to license my work before Pixls.Us would touch it. ;)
Thanks and God bless. 🙏📸

using Creative Commons to license my work
I never posted a picture there, but I have noticed that they want uniform rights.

In fact, I've never followed one of the "Play Raw" threads. I probably should.

I'd think that Pixls.us is the best source for both darktable and Rawtherapee discussion. Even developers are there.

Oh, yes... I use darktable too. I have a totally-Linux system so can't run any of the Windows processing software, even if I want to. Which I do, occasionally, but not yet to the extent of overcoming my disinclination towards Windows! I started out with RawTherapee. I like the way it does some things, but, after trying dt, I preferred it. Also the documentation is easier to read. With dt 4.6/Sigmoid, the starting point is close to the camera jpeg. I like that.

(But for fast[er] "production line" editing, I still resort to jpeg+GIMP)

Back