Rookie with a "new" a7R and a problem.

dsearls

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Doc Searls
Hey. Rookie here.

I've been a Canon DSLR shooter since the 5D in '05, but got turned on to Sony this past summer after a friend loaned me their a7R IV during a trip we took together. I fell in love, and they gave me their long-unused 2013-vintage a7R, which I've been shooting with for a couple months. Only lens so far is the 24-105 f4, which is amazingly sharp. Aside from awful battery life, I'm happy with it.

But a problem has appeared, which I hope is due to a setting I'm not seeing: everything is underexposed by about two stops, in both Auto and P modes, and with the exposure compensation dial set to 0. I can overcome it in P mode by dialing exposure compensation to +2, but I'd rather not have to. Any ideas? Thanks!

Try shooting in Aperture Priority, where you set the aperture you want rather than letting the camera do it. The camera will set the shutter speed.

Are you setting ISO or using Auto?

I'm not sure since I've never used either one, but isn't ISO Automatic in those modes, which are automatic and leave little to the user in the way of being able to adjust settings.....

I'm not sure since I've never used either one, but isn't ISO Automatic in those modes, which are automatic and leave little to the user in the way of being able to adjust settings.....
I've used aperture priority recently, you can use manual or auto ISO

I know that. I guess I should have specified "Auto mode" and "Program mode," as those are the two that the OP mentions using. I've never used either but I am assuming that ISO is automatic in those auto-programmed modes anyway. That is why I suggested trying Aperture Priority, so that, yes, there are more options for control over things, including the aperture setting and the ISO setting. Ah, I see that I forgot to mention ISO in my initial post..... Most of the time I use Manual mode, but occasionally go into Aperture Priority. In both cases I keep ISO in Auto ISO.

I think it's an internal camera problem, rather than a setting. It only shows up in Auto and P modes, and not always. It will want to underexpose until I turn it off and on again, and then it usually works fine. But sometimes it doesn't. :-(

Back