Name
Roy Priest
Country
Canada
City/State
White Rock, B.C.
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Recently spent almost 4 weeks in Waikoloa on the big island of Hawaii. We go back regularly and these birds have recently appeared , well since the pandemic. There is a flock of about 20 birds locally, many colour mutations. I have photographed this species in Namibia, where they belong, as well as Arizona when we had a place there. These are probably all escaped birds. A majority of
Rosy-faced Lovebird_RP25344.jpg
Rosy-faced Lovebird_RP25887.jpg
the birds you see at the lower elevations in Hawaii are introduced species.

I hope, they want become a problem like the parakeet on Kauai. They are cute but Hawai‘i battles so many unwelcome visitors already.

Hawaii is on my list for 2024, but I can't find much about wildlife on the island. Is there much to be seen?

I can only speak of the Big Island, Hawai’i, itself. The island has multiple climates, from sunny beaches to jungles and snow covered mountain tops in winter.
We stayed in privat places with lush gardens and I will post some bird pictures later. I don’t think it is a birders paradise, since the islands are not visited by migrating birds, except for Kīlauea Point NWR on Maui. They have many ‘one in a kind‘ birds but except for the Nene, the are almost hard to spot or take a picture. The more friendly ones are the birds that were brought to the island by people. Which brings us back to this topic.
99% of all the pictures I took, were of plants, culture, landscape and whales.

Thanks for that, kind of confirms what I've been finding.

Guess, I'll have to make do with a lot of shirt shopping.

I hope, they want become a problem like the parakeet on Kauai. They are cute but Hawai‘i battles so many unwelcome visitors already.
As beautiful as they are I was disappointed in seeing them there.

Hawaii is on my list for 2024, but I can't find much about wildlife on the island. Is there much to be seen?
Hi Dave, if you are talking about the big Island of Hawaii and by wildlife you mean other than birds there is not much to be seen. There are different kinds of goats in the mountains and around the resorts. There are mongoose , feral cats and pigs. The only native animals are the monk seal and a species of bat. If you are talking about birds there is a great diversity from endemics at elevations above the reach of mosquitos and introduced species in the low areas. The best place to see and photograph endemics is the Hakalau Forest National Wildlife Refuge. You need a guide as the public is not allowed entry without a registered guide. I use Jack Jeffry https://jackjeffreyphoto.com/ but if you do a search there are other guides available. Jack is a retired biologist who has worked in the Hakalau forest for years before retiring. There is also a chance to see Palila at another location but you will need a vehicle with high clearance. I've photographed short-eared owls (Pueo) there as well. Pelagic birds are best seen by going on a cruise specifically for these birds. See lance.tanino@gmail.com.
At the lower elevations you see mainly introduced species but like me I doubt you have seen a lot of these birds before so they are worth photographing, at least to me. As far as native birds in the lowlands you have a couple of species like the Pacific Golden Plover ( Kolea) that winters in the Hawaiian Islands. When I was there a week or so ago they were changing into their breeding plumage and will soon vacate the island. Bristle-thighed Curlews are rare but present in a couple of spots. There are several ponds and wetlands that have migrant water birds and shorebirds.
I've only touched a few of the possibilities available. If you need any other info just let me know.
I can advise you on Maui if you are going there.

Beautiful images

Back