Ivanturas

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Iván Fuentes Hagar
Hey guys! Just tried out some shooting using S-Log3. Manual aperture, manual shutter... but then BLAM! Couldn't set manual ISO! Am I doing something wrong, or is it just the way it is on the A6400?

Hi Ivan, did you ever figure this out?
I've been getting curious about filming with picture profiles so I wanted to know what your experience has been like with the a6400 so far?

Haven't had the same situation again, and never figured why TBH... re. the A6400, I can't complain at all. I really miss having a headphone output though... but definitely not worth the price of an A6600, and I do have headphone jacks on my wireless lav receiver & my Zoom recorder. Everything else is just great... very portable, good sensitivity and even when in truly high ISOs with noticeable gain, it actually looks alright, like film grain. Battery, small as it is, lasts quite a while, but I do carry a USB powebank that I plug when there's a chance, and makes the camera last the full day.

Vibration & shake is more noticeable than expected, despite my 18-105 being stabilized (love this lens btw). Don't know if IBIS would work at the same time as the lens' OSS, but if it did, maybe that'd be worth the difference towards an A6600

I think if the vibration is that big a deal, gimbal is the only answer, might even be cheaper than switching to an a6600.

So, in your opinion, if I wanted to try color grading, which picture profile would you recommend I start with?

Yeah, even before getting my A6400, I've used a Ronin SC whenever it's convenient. While filming wildfires from within though, I still haven't found a way of comfortable carrying it.

I wouldn't dare to tell you what's best for your uses... but maybe I could tell you what I do:

- Shoot on PP8: Slog3, S-Gamut3.Cine

- Import on Resolve and color manage:
- Color space transform all A6400 footage from Slog2 to ACES. Yeap, Slog2. I've found using the Slog3 input profile to be too contrasted. While using monitor gamma assist, I noticed Slog2 was far nicer, so I decided to use that in post as well, and has worked really good to me so far. Do note, this is a matter of personal taste, and the actual, proper way to go is going from an Slog3 color profile.
- Set a color space transform for my whole timeline, from ACES to rec.709.

- Have fun grading.

- Profit.

When using Premiere, you can also set input color spaces, but for the kind of jobs I do when using Premiere, I'm not really meticulous on color grading (usually more corporate vids on Premiere, and more cinematic stuff on Resolve). Lumetri is OK, but still needs maturing.

Which software are you planning to work on, btw?

Thanks for the workflow example Ivan. I use Premiere pro but I have a long way to go before I understand all of these terms and techniques. Honestly the more I research, the more I get intimidated by the color grading process. Perhaps I'll just try different "creative style" settings for now and leave the real color grading to the professionals lol

Nah... I'm sorry, should've been more considerate regarding your current goals. Let's just skip color management for now... it'll be a bit more work if you have other video sources or different kinds of exported videos, but you'll be fine to start with.

My advice (feel free to take or reject according to your own judgement):

Stage 1:
- Shoot Slog3, using S-Gamut3.Cine (if you haven't modified your picture profiles, just choose PP8, which contains both these settings)
- In premiere Skip color preferences, and once you start grading, skip input LUT.
- Start using Lumetri's "Basic Correction" panel only. I'd avoid using contrast, trying to achieve it through exposure and whites/highlights v/s blacks/shadows.

Stage 1 1/2:
- Once you feel really comfortable with all Basic Correction sliders, you could try curves, but only RGB Curves. I'd leave the rest for a later stage.

Back