Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Geese from Sunday same shot 3 crops at long range on 24megapixel a9
goose 2023 14.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • Sony FE 200–600mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS (SEL200600G)
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 2000
goose 2023 13.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 2000
goose 2023 15.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/3200 sec
  • ISO 2000

It would be the second one for me as it gives a good view of Goose in its environment.

I like shot number 1 the best. The natural look of the background feels like being there.

It would be interesting to compare the same or similar shot with a higher resolution camera (A1/A7Riv) and same settings/crop levels...
The result will obviously be better but it would be interesting to compare how much better.
well crops are 3.4 mb to 1.4 mb and its about more than the camera

well crops are 3.4 mb to 1.4 mb and its about more than the camera
Unless you're viewing this on a television, I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference unless someone is specifically trying to find one...or pixel peeping. Since the vast majority of people view images on a tiny little phone screen, I think you're safe!

I like #2 as well. Subject is well framed and composed, enough of the environment to not feel detached.

Depends what the image is viewed on. Decent sized screen then 2 is fine, on phone or tablet then 3 might be better.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to compare the same or similar shot with a higher resolution camera (A1/A7Riv) and same settings/crop levels...
The result will obviously be better but it would be interesting to compare how much better.
Higher resolution? My A7iv would capture a goose sticking his tongue out on the way. 👅

I like the initial shot as I can zoom in on the frame anyway. I cropped some black swans from neck up. They look like sock puppets. I could have the same fun with these geese. They’re cartoon like from neck to head, especially while flying!

Geese from Sunday same shot 3 crops at long range on 24megapixel a9View attachment 35689View attachment 35690View attachment 35691
Hi, Gary,
I like the second crop best.
It's more open than the first because there's nothing above the bird (in the background).
I like the negative space in front of the bird - it's got someplace to go.
By comparison, the third crop feels cramped.

I'm still trying to figure out composition, and seeing these three (thank you) has given me some ideas.

Had I not seen the second crop, the third might have been fine.

I'm out numbered here but I like #3. Not surprisingly, I am a pixel peeper. I love to see lots of detail.

Back