Save focus point / setting (sony a1)

gordonhatusupy

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gordon
Hey, looking for some help. How does one focus on something, then save that focus point so I can recall it through a button on my lens or another button?

I'm assuming that you are not a person that uses Back Button Focusing. I know that this is easy if you do use it.

I don't but even I did would that solve this problem?

How do you save your focus point with back button focus and recall it after you focussed on something else?

thanks!

.... How do you save your focus point with back button focus and recall it after you focused on something else?
Hi Gordon,

I doubt you can use a cam or lens AF-lock button, since the lock will prevent the re-focus on a diff target as you mentioned, (I think). And I’m not aware you can store a focal point in memory that can be recalled with a preset button. A seasoned shooter may better know this for sure.

But you’ve piqued my curiosity w this question. So I’m replying here mainly because I’m curious about your reason/situation when you want to save the FP, then refocus elsewhere, then later recall the original stored FP. If you’re shooting two perched birds and want to switch back and forth, then why not just use AF? With late-model cams you could likely re-target birds and use AF in nearly the same time to back-but any FP stored (if that was possible). So I’m curious about your use for this. Also, what cam are you using?

I don't but even I did would that solve this problem?

How do you save your focus point with back button focus and recall it after you focussed on something else?

thanks!
In that scenario, you cannot. I can focus, using the Back Button, and do anything except focusing again, and when I pick up the camera it will still be focused on the original spot. Sorry for the confusion.

So, I was out photographing hummingbirds yesterday and this very slim branch was often a perch for one of them every 10 minutes or so. In between that perching I was shooting different stuff from the same position. So I would love to be able save the focus on that specific branch and then be able to recall it whenever I need it because sometimes it was just difficult for the AF to pick up. I used to be able to do this with my Nikon D5 and 500 pf. I'm using the Sony A1.

If you have an a1, I'm assuming you likely have a good lens also, so with decent ambient and w/o a busy background, I would think the AF should handle it. If not, I would tend to review my settings to ensure they are optimal for the situation.

Last edited:
I have the A1 + 600mm GM. I think sometimes people see the A1 as some kind of magical camera. From my experience Sony does most things better than other camera's but if you have an isolated perching humming bird on a tiny branch with various layers of stuff at different distances it just doesn't do as well. Basing this on my experience with the D5, D500, D850 and A9 / a9 ii / A1 I'd have to give this one to the D5.

When it's not catching the target I have to autofocus on something closer to me, then reframe on the bird and often it still misses.

I'm editing some photos now and will add some examples where the AF works perfectly and where it struggles.

Last edited:
Some really quick edits!

Images A + B were pretty tough for the AF, I'm shooting in a forested area btw and there is foliage everywhere behind the bird + perch. Often it catches the focus behind the bird.

Image C the AF had zero trouble because I'm shooting slightly upwards and there is foliage but it's maybe 25 meters behind the bird.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 50
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 56
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 60
Hey, looking for some help. How does one focus on something, then save that focus point so I can recall it through a button on my lens or another button?
Is this what you are referring to ?
AF-RegArea-7M3_54750-Web.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55 mm F1.8 ZA (SEL55F18Z)
  • 55.0 mm
  • ƒ/1.8
  • 1/10 sec
  • ISO 100

I get that screen when I turn AF Area Reg ON
AF-RegArea-7M3_54752-Web.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • Zeiss Sonnar T* FE 55 mm F1.8 ZA (SEL55F18Z)
  • 55.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 8/10 sec
  • ISO 100

I look at those images, see ILCE-7M3 under them and say to myself “hey, has the A7 III suddenly got the new menus???”
Then my brain starts working again, and I realise it’s the A1 photographed by the A7 III. I must be tired!

Circling back to this, I finally found it. This article describes how it works with Nikon https://www.tombolphoto.com/memory-...4vt0c_NKO98wuLbDbV46P1ysqdv_6n2l0HSSm5wKO3Qsk

But only with certain lenses and the 500PF had this functionality. I just stumbled upon a facebook post with the same question and the 600mm GM actually has the functionality but it's the built in ring that does this. So it works like this: A: Focus on something B: Push the "SET" button on the lens now the focus point is saved so if I want to focus on something else for a bit and the bird lands back on the perch I just move the ring and it snaps back into focus!

Back