Settings for Moon

Tinopener

Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Hi all
Off up to Norfolk for a couple of days next week and you get some cracking clear nights up there so was thinking about trying to shoot the moon and was wondering if any body has any advice on the settings I should be using.. I have a tri-pod and a shutter release cable will be using Sony A9ii with Sony 200-600 lens ...Any advice would be appreciated Thank you Gary ....

Hi all
Off up to Norfolk for a couple of days next week and you get some cracking clear nights up there so was thinking about trying to shoot the moon and was wondering if any body has any advice on the settings I should be using.. I have a tri-pod and a shutter release cable will be using Sony A9ii with Sony 200-600 lens ...Any advice would be appreciated Thank you Gary ....
Meter on the moon itself, it's much brighter than you think and focus manually.

The moon is a sunlit landscape so you can set the exposure accordingly if the moon is more than half full. For crescent phases give one or two more stops. If you shoot in RAW then it doesn't matter if you underexpose by a few stops as you can easily correct it afterwards with minimal loss of quality. The histogram will also help, there will be a spike for the moon, which should be on the right but not the extreme right.

The best way to start is with an aperture of f/11 and the shutter speed the reciprocal of ISO. Take some shots review, and adjust settings for the look you want.

Gary,
Check out the Looney 11 rule

Thank you for all your replies the looney 11 rule seems straight forward I shall post pictures when I get back fingers crossed ...... (y) Gary

Back