Settings , in particular AF mode for stationary birds

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful, I’m finding more consistent results now, using centre medium instead of small, I think the focus Was shifting ever so slightly .... I’m still monitoring, action I.e. birds in flight are fairly consistent thankfully

Cliff, if still experiencing inconsistency, you may want to try experimenting w Memu: Cam#1 AF2 page 6 of 15 - "AF Tracking Sens".

5 is responsive, which may tend hunt slightly even if area set Sm or Med or Zone. Then when you pull trigger and burst, there may be a subtle hunting due to hi sensitivity.

I usually use #1 (Locked On) which to my understanding locks focus on specific target regardless if other birds/objects pass in front/behind target. So we might assume sony programmed it not to hunt at this locked setting (#1). You may want to experiment w these two settings.

But Ziggy (or others) may know more about the intricacies of algorithm that functions at these two settings.

Peeps don't usually use tracking for static shots since they're SAF.
You can and I do use CAF without tracking in single shot drive since I want the AF to keep trying. I now also use short bursts on static subjects for the usual reasons.

I recall Cliff earlier saying he uses CAF & burst-10, since Single even for stationary doesn't guarantee sharpness. So I thought maybe his AF drift during bursts might be subtle P or C hunting due to hi sensitivity in af/track.

In Cliff's situation, I usually stay in afc-track since small birds hop & turn their heads or even take wing. Even toggling drives takes too long, I use only BBs: AF-On & toggling Areas. before pulling trigger. I burst stationary also, unless person has no eyelids.

Last edited:
What aperture are you using? I found out with my 200-600 that f/8 is much better than wide open at f/6.3, not just because the lens is sharper, but because it gives me a bit more depth of field and that helps compensate for possible AF lack of accuracy.

f8 is good for BIF for that reason and because spread wings will likely need it.

Static birds generally get wide open from me if possible so as to isolate them.

Back