Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Sigma has just announced their first mirrorless zoom lens for crop sensor cameras like the Sony a6400.

The Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 DC DN Contemporary Lens weighs in at only 290g, which makes it quite a bit lighter than the Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G lens that weighs 494g.

The lens is already available to pre-order for $549 US or £429.99 in the UK. Shipping will start at the end of October 2021.

Further details and a collection of early reviews can be found in the blog post:

I just saw Arthur R's video on this lens:

Oh wow, It is really making me question keeping the Tamron 17-70 f2.8. I love the Tamron, but its weight makes it very unbalanced in the hands on a compact body like the a6400. I just don't know if I would miss the lens stability or extra 20mm reach offered by the Tamron.

Watched another review:

I think I'm coming to the realization that since I already have the Tamron 17-70, there's no reason to get this lens. To me, the 18-135 is my everyday lens and the Tamron is a "specialty" lens for events etc. However, I think this Sigma lens is more aimed at the person who wants to ditch their kit lens forever and just have a compact f2.8 lens for everyday use. Its lightweight construction is commendable and is worth the tradeoffs mentioned in the video.

Back