Sigma - M-4/3 news: No new Sigma lenses in M-4/3. What does that mean for Sony?

Brownie

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Well, to my mind it puts Sony squarely at the top of the list for lens ecosystems, at least for now. I think this will last a very long time since Canon doesn't seem interested in third party lenses, and Nikon will be playing catch up for some time.

Brutal honest statement from Sigma manager Yamaki: We ain’t going to develop new MFT lenses as the MFT system is in sharp decline​

I have not had a chance to use a MFT camera, but I've always been impressed with the platform. Pity Sigma is pulling back. OM-system fans are not going to be happy.
I also don't like the sound of this warning: But currently, the trend is clearly in favor of full frame, alongside APS-C (which is also in decline, by the way)... I also find this hard to believe because Sigma basically re-engineers their E-mount lenses for X-mount (and I think Nikon too) so they have economies of scale on their side.

I have not had a chance to use a MFT camera, but I've always been impressed with the platform. Pity Sigma is pulling back. OM-system fans are not going to be happy.
I also don't like the sound of this warning: But currently, the trend is clearly in favor of full frame, alongside APS-C (which is also in decline, by the way)... I also find this hard to believe because Sigma basically re-engineers their E-mount lenses for X-mount (and I think Nikon too) so they have economies of scale on their side.
It's all about demand. There's no point in making them if no one wants to buy them. R&D money down the toilet. The issue is that FF cameras have become less expensive over time, to the extent that more people are willing to step into that format (even though they get caught by the cost of all new and more expensive lenses). But with camera bodies being less costly, it's alluring. Back during the holidays you could purchase a A7II for under $1k. You can still get one with a kit lens for $1600.

I don't think there's a risk of APS-C going anywhere, the format is supported by too many manufacturers. It may be on decline, but clearly Sigma isn't giving up on it. M-4/3, on the other hand, has exactly two if you don't count the Hasselblad drone cameras and what little Black Magic contributes. On this one Sigma has drawn the line.

I still think about getting another one from time to time. An EM5 with a couple of their more compact lenses is a fantastic travel kit.

Yes, I also thought about an Olympus (sorry OM-Systems) camera due to the weather/water proof nature and really good IBIS. Then again, like Sigma, I also didn't want to commit to a dying brand/platform. So yeah, I 100% understand the business decision.

Oh this is interesting, Yamaki San said something very similar 9 years ago:

Basically, back then they made the business decision that they would only adapt APSC lenses to MFT, not develop specifically for MFT. So the recent announcement really does make sense as a consistent corporate principle [of not supporting MFT].
Yes, it's been a chicken-little thing for years. The difference this time is here:

2014:
Sigma CEO Kazuto Yamaki said they will not make independently designed MFT lenses. They will keep making lenses for APS-C mirrorless system and then offer them with MFT mount too.

2023:
I hope that with the arrival of the new OM System cameras demand will stabilize, but it is clearly tending to decrease for Sigma Micro 4/3 lenses.

So before they were happy taking APS-C lenses and swapping to M-4/3 mounts, but now they see an actual decrease. Part of this may be that OM is offering a wider selection than they used to. And as you said, their weather sealing is top drawer, and is in fact better than any other manufacturer. But the only way they can offer that is if you use OM lenses. In fact, even using a Panasonic M-4/3 lens will (reportedly) decrease the weatherproofing. Since OM is marketing the system as excellent for Bird/Wildlife/Sports, it follows that people want to maintain the best level of weatherproofing for outdoors.

In any event, this will still help move Sony up the list in lens selection over time. That's good because it's a major selling point for many people, and more people in the system means a stable, solid platform for the future.

Well, to my mind it puts Sony squarely at the top of the list for lens ecosystems, at least for now. I think this will last a very long time since Canon doesn't seem interested in third party lenses, and Nikon will be playing catch up for some time.

Brutal honest statement from Sigma manager Yamaki: We ain’t going to develop new MFT lenses as the MFT system is in sharp decline​

This is somewhat disheartening.

Following rehab from my stroke, my remaining deficits had me wondering if photography would be forever gone from my life as it was physically impossible for me hold, much less operate, my A900 and A99v cameras and their weighty lenses. I could only shoot with the aid of a tripod. So if I was going to continue enjoying photography, I was going to have to invest in an entire new compact lightweight system.

The Sony E-mount was my first choice, but the cost of new bodies and replicating my lens lineup was prohibitive. Instead I decided to go with MFT. 2 OM bodies and 5 lenses came to less than half of the cost their Sony equivalents. The MFT system served me very well.

Time and circumstances have since allowed me to re-enter the Sony ecosystem with the purchase of the a7R iv and the LA-EA5 adapter, which instantly returned usability to my beloved A-mount optics. So I live happily in two worlds. Not at all unlike the old days when I shot 35mm and medium format.

OM and Panasonic make outstanding lenses in support of MFT. In fact, their lenses on my OM bodies are my choice for macro photography. I do not own any Sigma MFT lenses as I never found any of their offerings to be more compelling than those of OM and Panasonic. Nevertheless, it’s kinda sad to see them leave the market. The reduced competition cannot be good for MFT’s future.

This is somewhat disheartening.

Following rehab from my stroke, my remaining deficits had me wondering if photography would be forever gone from my life as it was physically impossible for me hold, much less operate, my A900 and A99v cameras and their weighty lenses. I could only shoot with the aid of a tripod. So if I was going to continue enjoying photography, I was going to have to invest in an entire new compact lightweight system.

The Sony E-mount was my first choice, but the cost of new bodies and replicating my lens lineup was prohibitive. Instead I decided to go with MFT. 2 OM bodies and 5 lenses came to less than half of the cost their Sony equivalents. The MFT system served me very well.

Time and circumstances have since allowed me to re-enter the Sony ecosystem with the purchase of the a7R iv and the LA-EA5 adapter, which instantly returned usability to my beloved A-mount optics. So I live happily in two worlds. Not at all unlike the old days when I shot 35mm and medium format.

OM and Panasonic make outstanding lenses in support of MFT. In fact, their lenses on my OM bodies are my choice for macro photography. I do not own any Sigma MFT lenses as I never found any of their offerings to be more compelling than those of OM and Panasonic. Nevertheless, it’s kinda sad to see them leave the market. The reduced competition cannot be good for MFT’s future.
We've been seeing the steady decline of M-4/3 for a few years. Panasonic has all but bowed out of the stills market and are moving quickly towards video-centric with still photography as an afterthought, with the main thrust in pro-video cameras. While it wasn't the main reason I divested myself of Panny gear and moved to Sony, it certainly made the decision easier. if I were to go back it would be OM. When I was using Panasonic (G7, GX9, G9), all of my lenses were Panny with the exception of a cheap Samyang 7.5mm to play around with. I'd do the same with OM, Olympus (OM) only lenses.

This certainly means that OM systems are going to have to invest in supplying a good range of lenses, though obviously there are loads of Olympus that work. That said, they do have some crackers.

I left my OM M4/3 many years ago for the Fuji system of APS-C system of cameras, liked them more than the M4/3 but have now moved completely to Sony full frame. I no longer want two different camera systems unless we are talking something like my Ricoh GRIII as a point and shoot street camera. In my opinion even though they are an interesting system, M4//3 is going away.

I left my OM M4/3 many years ago for the Fuji system of APS-C system of cameras, liked them more than the M4/3 but have now moved completely to Sony full frame. I no longer want two different camera systems unless we are talking something like my Ricoh GRIII as a point and shoot street camera. In my opinion even though they are an interesting system, M4//3 is going away.
I don't think it's going away, but it will be very minimal at some point. Panasonic is huge in M-4/3 sensors and video, and they've coaxed excellent performance out of them. Hasselblad is using an M-4/3 sensor in drones, where it's perfect due to lens size. But for advanced enthusiast and hobbyist gear, I agree.

This certainly means that OM systems are going to have to invest in supplying a good range of lenses, though obviously there are loads of Olympus that work. That said, they do have some crackers.
Like the soon to be released 90mm 2:1 macro lens that can also be used with the teleconverters. Being able to do in-camera focus bracketing and stacking handheld is amazing.

I just poked around and found no less than 40 M-4/3 lenses by Olympus since 2009. The 150-400/4 pro with the built-in 1.25 TC would please any birder or wildlife photographer. A FF equivalence of 1000mm and constant f/4 in a package slightly smaller than Sony's 200-600.

Screenshot 2023-02-27 191609.jpg

interesting in that image the OM does not look very much smaller

interesting in that image the OM does not look very much smaller
Well it is f/4, which would make it a largish lens in any format. It'd be larger yet in FF.

Then try to find a 1000/5.6 in FF.

Setting cost a side, would not a full frame 800 f5.6 produce a better image, just curious, since I really have no real need for any lens that long other than on rare times

If/when organic sensors and global shutters become a thing a m4/3 kit might be the sweet spot. If that 150-400 Pro were priced better I might have tempted to give it a try with the OM1 but not at the current prices.

Setting cost a side, would not a full frame 800 f5.6 produce a better image, just curious, since I really have no real need for any lens that long other than on rare times
Maybe, maybe not. In capable hands I doubt anyone would know the difference. I've seen amazing images from M-4/3.

You'd gain cropping for sure, depending on the camera possibly quite a bit. A camera like the RV would give you APS-C mode and still have more MP than the M-4/3. But then consider size. Look at the Nikon 800/6.3 and compare size and weight. If you were going on a long trek there'd be an advantage of a smaller, lighter kit. The Nikon lens alone weighs over a pound more.

It all comes down to horses for courses. I know guys who have become physically challenged with age or affliction who treasure a small setup.

Here's another comparison, a different way to look at it. Instead of looking at how much more the M-4/3 can reach, these lenses have similar FL. Nikon Z9 with 800/6.3 and OM-1 with 100-400/5-6.3.

Screenshot 2023-02-27 214530.jpg

Last edited:
I just poked around and found no less than 40 M-4/3 lenses by Olympus since 2009. The 150-400/4 pro with the built-in 1.25 TC would please any birder or wildlife photographer. A FF equivalence of 1000mm and constant f/4 in a package slightly smaller than Sony's 200-600.

View attachment 33239
A friend of mine has that lens and the OM1. His pictures are fabulous, partly because he's an exceptional photographer, who happens to be the luckiest photographer I know of, he gets so many hard to find birds pose for him it's freaky. I will say though, that if I zoom in on them, they don't retain the detail of cropping on the A1/A7RIV

A friend of mine has that lens and the OM1. His pictures are fabulous, partly because he's an exceptional photographer, who happens to be the luckiest photographer I know of, he gets so many hard to find birds pose for him it's freaky. I will say though, that if I zoom in on them, they don't retain the detail of cropping on the A1/A7RIV
Yes, they'll peter out sooner than a higher MP camera. This is another good reason to depend on skills and in-camera composition rather than megapixels. I think that's a very foreign concept to many people, especially those who weren't around during film or the early days of digital when lower resolution cameras like my Maxxum 5D were all there was.

I have a photo from my G9, cropped ever so slightly to remove some unwanted background clutter. Started at 20MP, probably ended up around 18. It's printed in 24 x 30 and hanging on a wall. It's beautiful, even up close. Not sure why anyone would need more than that unless their main viewing is pixel peeping.

Yes, they'll peter out sooner than a higher MP camera. This is another good reason to depend on skills and in-camera composition rather than megapixels. I think that's a very foreign concept to many people, especially those who weren't around during film or the early days of digital when lower resolution cameras like my Maxxum 5D were all there was.

I have a photo from my G9, cropped ever so slightly to remove some unwanted background clutter. Started at 20MP, probably ended up around 18. It's printed in 24 x 30 and hanging on a wall. It's beautiful, even up close. Not sure why anyone would need more than that unless their main viewing is pixel peeping.
Agree completely about composition and technique. Modern technology has made everything easier and, with no disrespect to new guys, some of whom are getting great results, it has made the need to learn good technique superfluous.