Snacks are available, so where are the birds?

Gaz

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Gary Finn
Country
Australia
City/State
Coogee Beach
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
In this instance, what is best to focus on?

IMG_6028.jpeg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • Sony FE 90mm F2.8 OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/8 sec
  • ISO 12800

This is the dilemma with Macro. Even f32 isn't enough to get everything in focus sometimes (hence the development of stacking), so it really depends on subject. angle etc. I like this though, you've got most of it in the focus plane/DOF.

This is the dilemma with Macro. Even f32 isn't enough to get everything in focus sometimes (hence the development of stacking), so it really depends on subject. angle etc. I like this though, you've got most of it in the focus plane/DOF.
Thanks, I should have experimented more. The first couple of shots were too shallow, the next lot were underexposed at Iso 12k, so this was my compromise. They’re probably still there tomorrow so I’ll take another look if the lighting is better.

These guys terrify me. Some of them release their hairs which stick into your fingers and sting.

Thanks, I should have experimented more. The first couple of shots were too shallow, the next lot were underexposed at Iso 12k, so this was my compromise. They’re probably still there tomorrow so I’ll take another look if the lighting is better.

These guys terrify me. Some of them release their hairs which stick into your fingers and sting.
Yeah most hairy caterpillars have similar defences and some are quite nasty. We are told not to touch the,=m. Love them though.

In this instance, what is best to focus on?
I think it might be best to be somewhere between the short spikes and the skin, though either might work (as you show with the spikes). I just got the 50mm macro mainly because I want a deeper DoF for my still indoor macro stuff.

Good luck. Wear gloves?

If you ask me, you should focus on not touching that thing!

Back