Name
David Lewis
Country
United States
City/State
Delaware
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Since we have a thread for many animals but not snakes I thought I would start one.

From my trip to Costa Rica an Eyelash Palm Pit Viper. A local guide had said one of these had been around the biding blind the last couple weeks but hadn't been seen in a few days so we lucked out on this.
A7R09285.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS (SEL100400GM)
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 1600

I'll go out looking for some Eastern Browns or Tiger Snakes when I'm down the coast next week.

December 2020 my wife was working in the garden at a friends property. Shortly after working on one garden bed, this Tiger snake emerged.:oops:
66D00155.jpg
  • E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS
  • 193.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.5999999046326
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100
66D00156.jpg
  • E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS
  • 134.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.5999999046326
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 100

Did you hear about the Melbourne snake catcher who suffered a deep bite from a Tiger snake a few days ago? He’s lucky to be alive but will probably suffer permanent nerve & muscle damage.

Hadn't heard, but several friends have had dogs bitten this season, and my sister had a small brown in her driveway. My nephew is in northern Victoria on a small farm. He's told us that he sees both Tigers, and Browns almost daily.

There was a young French backpacker working as a farm hand in The Mallee who died from an Eastern Brown bight before Christmas. He was dead when they found him. Also, a lot of dogs have been bitten in SE South Australia apparently.

It's quite surprising, as we have a world wide reputation for having a range of deadly animals here (which we do have) but 2/3 of the animal caused deaths in Australia every year are caused by horses.

Anyway, we have sort of hijacked @iamdlewis' thread here...

Last edited:
I visit zoos a fair bit, and summer before last I was surprised to see a young tiger snake crossing the path - probably barely over a foot long (which means it's MORE dangerous, not less - the young ones tend to empty their venom glands into you). I took a couple of (shaky!) shots of it and showed them to a keeper. They are apparently a common sight at Werribee Open Range zoo in summer, and the keepers are really only concerned if they look to be hanging around on a path (this one crossed the path and headed into bush) - they have a snake catcher on-call pretty much all of daylight savings time.

I mentioned it to a keeper at Healesville Sanctuary (way over the other side of town, in the foothills), and asked if they saw many tiger snakes - "no, mostly copper heads" was the uncomforting reply :rolleyes: Melbourne Zoo keepers said they'd seen the occasional Eastern Brown snake, but not often.

Yeah, there are a lot of species of venomous snakes around Australia. But most people rarely see one - I've seen just two in the wild in several decades.

Yeah, there are a lot of species of venomous snakes around Australia. But most people rarely see one - I've seen just two in the wild in several decades.
I actually stood on a Death Adder many years ago, when I was in high school. It was at a place called Wondabyne on the north side of Broken Bay where the train line crosses. I was wearing rock climbing boots & they are short, stubby snakes so it couldn't have bitten me. One of my mates nonchalantly picked it up. We all did know how to handle snakes. It's a pity we didn't have mobile phone cameras back in 1977!

Well if 2/3 of deaths caused animals are from horses I would think your country would be pretty similar... ;)

Well if 2/3 of deaths caused animals are from horses I would think your country would be pretty similar... ;)
Yeah, but horses don’t hang out in trees nor under piles of junk. They don’t scurry across the floor or run up your wall. Horses are pretty easy to avoid. Ultimately, if you’re near a horse it’s by choice.

In any event, the number one killer of humans is mosquitoes, by millions. Then humans, and #3 is snakes.

Yeah, but horses don’t hang out in trees nor under piles of junk. They don’t scurry across the floor or run up your wall

Have you met Australian horses?

Welcome to Australia, where everything wants to kill you. :p

Have you met Australian horses?
In defence of Aussie animals, the vast majority are non-lethal. We also do not have, bears, tigers, pumas, etc. and yes, Thad, I've met many Australian horses. 😃, however, may I suggest that we let thread get back to being a photo thread about snakes.

In defence of Aussie animals, the vast majority are non-lethal. We also do not have, bears, tigers, pumas, etc. and yes, Thad, I've met many Australian horses. 😃, however, may I suggest that we let thread get back to being a photo thread about snakes.
Yes, snakes. The #3 killer of humans.

Since we have a thread for many animals but not snakes I thought I would start one.

From my trip to Costa Rica an Eyelash Palm Pit Viper. A local guide had said one of these had been around the biding blind the last couple weeks but hadn't been seen in a few days so we lucked out on this.
View attachment 57386
Great image ,Laguna Del Lagarto by any chance ?

Great image ,Laguna Del Lagarto by any chance ?
The guide put the checklist for that time as "Donde Cope- La Unión de Guápiles". It was at a private bird blind area.

Back