Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Some advice - wildlife logging

Andrew C

Followers
Following
Hi all,

Sorry for not posting for a long time, but I was not inspired to take photos for a long time, and with other commitments my camera was just not being used.
Now however I have moved and all the wonderful nature around me is inspiring me again to go out and take photographs.

My interest is not in becoming a great nature photographer**, but using the camera to capture what I see when I go walking. And I then post these pictures up to to a Naturalist recording site. You can see my pictures here: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&user_id=happybird44&verifiable=any

Currently I have the Sony a7iv with a Tamron 28-200 F2.8-5.6 Di III RXD lens. It's not a macro lens, but as you can see from the link I photograph everything from bugs to birds. However I often often find myself at the full 200mm (and wishing for more) which is why I crop heavily.

I'm not really after birds in flight, but is there a good lens that 'does it all' and might be better than what I have currently? I would prefer not having to carry a selection or keep swapping between lenses. Can I get better pictures of small things without a dedicated macro lens? and still being able to capture small birds and mammals?

I have been thinking about the sony 100-400. double the focal length I have now - but could I still capture small things? and how good is the x1.4 or x2.0 converters with it?
I previously read the x2.0 was harder to get good results with - but that was when used with the 200-600 lens I recall. I did want the 200-600 but I think it may be too limiting for smaller, close-up items? (as well as a lot heaver).
Am I asking the impossible? Should I get a small pocket camera for close-ups instead (om TG-7?) or a new phone (my current iPhoneXS doesn't do macro and is too pixilated when I crop).

I'd be very appreciative of any advice or suggestions.

I also have some questions about suitable settings - but I think I'd better ask in another thread.

Andrew.

** but I would like to be a Better photographer
ps. I should note that I'm only looking to photograph in the UK - so no safari animals :)

Last edited:
The 100-400GM is a fantastic all-around lens. The reach is good for most birds and the short minimum focal distance allows for near macro type photos. Though I use the 200-600G more often the 100-400GM is my favorite lens. If you go this path I would suggest taking several walks before deciding on getting a 1.4x or 2x TC. I have the 1.4x and it has been a while since I last used it.

You might also want to consider the Sigma 100-400 as it is a good lens, you can't use a TC with it but it does cost less than half the price of the 100-400GM.

Settings for birds in tree a general starting point is 1/focal-length, wide open and whatever the auto-ISO happens to be.

I changed over systems to Sony just before last Christmas and which lenses to get, other than the 24-70 GMII, was a big decision. I ended up going for the Tamron 50-400 after recommendations from users on DP Review and it has very good reviews. I haven't used it a huge amount yet but so far I am very happy with it. It is a bit of an allrounder. At 50mm it focuses down to 1:2. There are some photos taken with it in my gallery.

Thank you both for your replies. I wasn't aware of the Tamron 50-400mm but after reading a lot of reviews and videos it seems to be a better option for my use case than even the Sony 100-400mm (cheaper, lighter, smaller, and greater focal range) whilst still being very sharp. And good for close-up, almost macro shots. In fact I wouldn't even need my current 28-200mm lens (I almost never use the 28mm focal length). It would be something I could leave on the camera, and carry easily while walking.

I'll keep doing more research on this but this looks like a good choice. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

New in Marketplace

Back