Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
The latest firmware for the Sony a1 is now v1.30.

Benefits and Improvements:

1. Allows you to select M and S sizes in addition to L when using the RAW recording lossless compression method
  2. Adds the 4:2:2 10bit selection when shooting XAVC HS 8K
  3. Allows proxy recording during a remote computer connection
  4. Improves the accuracy of the Eye AF feature
  5. Fixes an issue where the remote shooting may not work with Imaging Edge Desktop (Remote)
  6. Improves the stability of the custom white balance
  7. Improves the operational stability of the camera

You can download the latest firmware from your local Sony support website. The below links will take you to the correct page to download the firmware. Make sure that you download the correct firmware for your computer (Windows or Mac).
Important note: Make sure that you read the install instructions, especially for Mac. You will need the latest Sony Camera Driver as well for a successful install on MacOS 10.15, 11, 12.
On Mac computers with an Apple silicon (Apple M1) processor, you need to change the security policy. Refer to the How to change the security policy on Mac computers with Apple silicon article. For Mac computers with an Intel processor, this step is not necessary.

Just a thing to watch regarding the update if you have smartphone connection switched on it greys out the Mass Storage so switch it to off

I've downloaded this, but I'm waiting to hear that it doesn't cause other problems - some software from Osobo/Microsoft has given me a few headaches lately, so I'm a bit wary at the moment. Any comments, I'm particularly interested in the improved eye focus that is mentioned in the notes.

To be fair, Sony software has never caused me any problems.

• Admin
I've downloaded this, but I'm waiting to hear that it doesn't cause other problems - some software from Osobo/Microsoft has given me a few headaches lately, so I'm a bit wary at the moment. Any comments, I'm particularly interested in the improved eye focus that is mentioned in the notes.

To be fair, Sony software has never caused me any problems.
Updated fine on mine but not had chance to use it properly since installing. But it's not a brick so that's always a relief :)

Downloaded and installed with no problems using an old windows notebook rather than my Mac's find it's quicker and easier still to use it.Have friends who have installed and used it with no issues

Haven't noticed any problems after updating the firmware. Capture One update and this firmware came out on the same day and finally I can effortlessly tether the A1 to Capture One. :)

Good news to read these comments. I'll install the update after my morning coffee. Thanks everyone.

Never tried a firmware update before. I bit nervous that I might stuff it up!

I do not have the mass storage option, I do have the smartphone off.

I do not have the mass storage option, I do have the smartphone off.
Valz have you checked out the PC Remote Function is on USB just a thought

when do you think sony will give a proper update with useful features for the A1 canon and nikon are getting real nice ones at the moment ,with z9 and r3 ,i am feeling jelous of some features that these cameras have 120fps z9 with pro capture ,the r3 now has raw near 200fps for 50 shots not sure if full size ,i am sure the sony A1 is capable of something similar even if it uses 120 frames from the 4k video ,anyway there is still the a74 specs that could be implemented ai tracking for video and focus breathing compensation and mf assist tools i would expect these soon ,also ,the af is superb out of box so no more of these ,would be great to get focus bracketing in camera sony knows how to do this also ,the video tracking for video is pita try touching your back screen to enable tracking a bird in flight then back up to your eye near on impossible.

when do you think sony will give a proper update with useful features for the A1 canon and nikon are getting real nice ones at the moment ,with z9 and r3 ,i am feeling jelous of some features that these cameras have 120fps z9 with pro capture ,the r3 now has raw near 200fps for 50 shots not sure if full size ,i am sure the sony A1 is capable of something similar even if it uses 120 frames from the 4k video ,anyway there is still the a74 specs that could be implemented ai tracking for video and focus breathing compensation and mf assist tools i would expect these soon ,also ,the af is superb out of box so no more of these ,would be great to get focus bracketing in camera sony knows how to do this also ,the video tracking for video is pita try touching your back screen to enable tracking a bird in flight then back up to your eye near on impossible.
Hopefully a lot sooner than it has taken them to introduce firmware updates via memory card! They have this feature now on the a7IV but the first firmware update they released didn't even support updating this way for some reason. A feature similar to Pro Capture would be welcome by many so hopefully Sony are looking into this and not just for the A1 II.

knowing sony though they like to leave features for new models .that would also be nice to do firmware via memory card something i always did with panasonic or olympus
Hopefully a lot sooner than it has taken them to introduce firmware updates via memory card! They have this feature now on the a7IV but the first firmware update they released didn't even support updating this way for some reason. A feature similar to Pro Capture would be welcome by many so hopefully Sony are looking into this and not just for the A1 II.

Have since done the 1.3 update but I'm not sure much has changed in the bird eye feature.

I updated to 1.30 and have noticed a recognisable improvement to the bird eye focus hit rate .

Not major but I believe something of an improvement both generally and with black subjects
with black eyes....

Back