Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
The latest firmware for the Sony a1 is now v1.20.

Benefits and Improvements:

1. Adds support for FTP transfer in Active Mode
  2. Improves the operational stability of the camera
You can download the latest firmware from your local Sony support website. The below links will take you to the correct page to download the firmware. Make sure that you download the correct firmware for your computer (Windows or Mac).

Important note: Make sure that you read the install instructions, especially for Mac. You will need the latest Sony Camera Driver as well for a successful install on MacOS 10.14, 10.15, 11.

GROAN..... I have not had much luck in the past in doing these updates on my Sonys with my Macs. My A7R IV still has the version it came with the day I brought it home, and probably my A1 will for a while, too, now. What are the things which have been changed, are they compelling enough to make it worthwhile updating?

• Admin
GROAN..... I have not had much luck in the past in doing these updates on my Sonys with my Macs. My A7R IV still has the version it came with the day I brought it home, and probably my A1 will for a while, too, now. What are the things which have been changed, are they compelling enough to make it worthwhile updating?
It only mentions support for FTP transfer in Active Mode and improves the operational stability of the camera, so not really a biggie this time. I always dread updates on my Mac as well. But it looks like with my new a7 IV you can finally do it via a memory card like Canon have been doing for years already. I wonder if that could be enabled for the a1 via firmware?

That would be incredible if Sony has finally seen the light about how to do firmware updates using a memory card like Canon, Nikon and just about everyone else has been doing for years!! Maybe that is part of the new firmware update, making it possible for the A1 as well? Nice, if that is the case!

"Operational stability" of the camera? I have not had any issues with my A1, so I'm not sure what this is about. It would be nice if they spelled things out, wouldn't it?! Maybe that includes providing the mechanism for using a memory card for future firmware updates in the A1?

At the time I was buying my A1 I inquired at the camera shop about them doing a cleaning of my A7R IV's sensor and also doing the firmware update in that camera. They do provide this service, but so far I haven't gotten back over there with the camera in order to have this done. Maybe I should have them also do the firmware update in the A1 as well.....

I never have a bad experience updating from Mac, but I always keep one MacBook air with older os coz I know that sony updates didn't work with newest os.

Thankfully I have never had any problems with downloading, and installing, new firmware on my mac with either my previous A7III, my A9 and now with my A1. This is with OS 10.14.6 and previous.
One thing that I will say though is that this new A1 firmware is a 'Biggie' so make sure that your battery is fully charged.

I would love to know what they 'actually' have changed to necessitate such a Big file. Can only be for the better whatever!

Back