Sony A1 Sony A1: Temperature Warning Shooting Video

mikee&b

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Mike
Hello all, new member here. Been using an A1 for the last year for video in a studio. My problem is I'm always getting the temperature warning on the camera.

I have the screen out, battery door open and regularly change the batteries but it is an annoying work around. I don't want to reduce the quality or frame rate, otherwise there is not point having such a high spec camera.

I see SmallRig and other companies make dummy batteries for the A1, to be powered by a larger external Sony NP-F970 battery. I wondered if any of you had used anything like this and how it would effect performance of the camera and battery life?

Thanks!
Mike

Do you have the temp warning set on standard or high?

There's a Sony accessory which can take up to 4 batteries. It includes a dummy battery to power the camera, and with 2 or 4 batteries (it can run half-size or full-size) you can record for longer periods.

Its set to High yes. Is that the Sony NPA-MQZ1K? I hadn't seen that before thanks. Quite expensive though, around £380 + batteries.

Would be good to know how the smallrig adapters effect battery performance, its a much cheaper-option then the Sony unit.

Hi, Mike,
Here's a video that suggests a couple of ways to avoid overheating issues (battery grip, dummy battery). I've linked directly to relevant sections.

And here's another video where the A1 with battery grip ran continuously until it exhausts both batteries (about 2 hours 45 minutes)

Its set to High yes. Is that the Sony NPA-MQZ1K? I hadn't seen that before thanks. Quite expensive though, around £380 + batteries.

Would be good to know how the smallrig adapters effect battery performance, its a much cheaper-option then the Sony unit.

Yes, it's expensive, but it can also charge 4 batteries at once. It has USB port so it can charge your phone as well. I think they almost overdid it, but if you have the room to use it, it's rather neat. I think it's made precisely for video use (or really long timelapses?).

I think it comes with two extra batteries, too (at least in my country), so you don't have to buy a full set.

You can split it in two and use just two batteries if you want a slimmer unit.

Back