Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Update: Shortly after releasing v1.05 and v1.10 Sony pulled the downloads from their support sites after reports that some people are having issues accessing menus and the camera restarting. The downloads are now available again so hopefully these issues have been resolved.

The latest firmware update for the Sony a7 IV is now version v1.10. This firmware can thankfully now be installed via memory card instead of connecting the camera to your computer.

Confusingly Sony released a v1.05 update at the same time as v1.10. According to Sony "when updating from a version lower than Ver.1.01, you need to update to Ver.1.05 first". Well I tried to update directly to 1.10 from 1.01 but it failed. I then installed 1.05 before successfully installing 1.10.

I'd be interested to know if anyone here has successfully upgraded direct to Ver.1.10 from 1.01, or did your install also fail?

The Ver 1.01 > 1.05 update took around 4 minutes to install on my a7 IV and the 1.05 > 1.10 also 4 minutes. During this time the LCD is blank but the red access light (next to trash button) will flash. Don't turn it off before the update is complete.

If the access lamp repeats 5 long blinks (0.5sec. cycle) and 6 short blinks (0.25sec. cycle), the system software update failed. In this case, remove the battery and memory card from the camera, and start over. Or if you are trying to go from Ver 1.01 to 1.10, install 1.05 first.

Ver.1.10 adds the following benefits and improvements:
  • Allows you to select M and S sizes in addition to L when using the RAW recording lossless compression method
  • The shutter speed and ISO sensitivity settings dedicated for flash photography can be retained
  • Adds the Touch Shutter function
  • Improves the accuracy of the Eye AF feature
  • The camera’s serial number can be recorded in the metadata in the movie files
  • Improves operability of Wi-Fi connections
  • Adds a 1 minute setting to the Power Save by Monitor menu
  • Fixes an issue where the viewfinder display may not be brightened according to the ambient brightness
  • Improves the operational stability of the camera

Ver 1.05 Download Links
US Support Site
UK Support Site

Ver 1.10 Download Links
US Support Site
UK Support Site

Further details and an install guide can be found in the blog article.

Last edited:
Version 1.10 withdrawn from Sony site. Russ.

• Admin
Version 1.10 withdrawn from Sony site. Russ.
Cheers Russ. That didn't last long! It seems a few people have had menu issues since updating, mine seems to be fine so far. Hopefully they push out a quick fix.

The vers. 1.05 has been removed on the Sony asia (Australia) site too.

It was confirmed that some products that updated may not operate properly in some cases.
Distribution will be suspended until we can inform you of modified version. (August 24, 2022)

I've never updated mine at all, works just fine. Based on their abysmal track record so far I'll leave mine alone.

The latest firmware update for the Sony a7 IV is now version v1.10. This firmware can thankfully now be installed via memory card instead of connecting the camera to your computer.

Confusingly Sony released a v1.05 update at the same time as v1.10. According to Sony "when updating from a version lower than Ver.1.01, you need to update to Ver.1.05 first". Well I tried to update directly to 1.10 from 1.01 but it failed. I then installed 1.05 before successfully installing 1.10.

I'd be interested to know if anyone here has successfully upgraded direct to Ver.1.10 from 1.01, or did your install also fail?

The Ver 1.01 > 1.05 update took around 4 minutes to install on my a7 IV and the 1.05 > 1.10 also 4 minutes. During this time the LCD is blank but the red access light (next to trash button) will flash. Don't turn it off before the update is complete.

If the access lamp repeats 5 long blinks (0.5sec. cycle) and 6 short blinks (0.25sec. cycle), the system software update failed. In this case, remove the battery and memory card from the camera, and start over. Or if you are trying to go from Ver 1.01 to 1.10, install 1.05 first.

Ver.1.10 adds the following benefits and improvements:
  • Allows you to select M and S sizes in addition to L when using the RAW recording lossless compression method
  • The shutter speed and ISO sensitivity settings dedicated for flash photography can be retained
  • Adds the Touch Shutter function
  • Improves the accuracy of the Eye AF feature
  • The camera’s serial number can be recorded in the metadata in the movie files
  • Improves operability of Wi-Fi connections
  • Adds a 1 minute setting to the Power Save by Monitor menu
  • Fixes an issue where the viewfinder display may not be brightened according to the ambient brightness
  • Improves the operational stability of the camera

Ver 1.05 Download Links
US Support Site
UK Support Site

Ver 1.10 Download Links
US Support Site
UK Support Site

Further details and an install guide can be found in the blog article.

Evidently Sony has suspended these updates. Both of those links lead to a page that says, "It was confirmed that some products that updated may not operate properly in some cases. Distribution will be suspended until we can inform you of modified version. (August 24, 2022)"

Let me know about 6 months after you all get it downloaded and your cameras still work ok... :ROFLMAO:

You'd think a company with their roots planted squarely in electronics could do a lot better.

I got some weird behaviour from attempting download using Firefox. I did the download in Chrome and got huge BODYDATA.DAT files instead of an executable.
Edit: Okay so the bodydat.dat is correct and used by the updater tool. I should read the instructions instead of expecting the update to be like older cameras. The way my version of Firefox handles it is still weird.

Here's what I got when attempting the download in firefox. This is from the Sony Asia (.com.au) site

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-08 200051.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-09-08 200051.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Cue 'Jeopardy' theme...

Got mine updated. Everything seems good ... I hope!

Got mine updated. Everything seems good ... I hope!
Is there a noticable eye AF improvement? (I realise you've only just updated)

Last edited:
I got some weird behaviour from attempting download using Firefox. I did the download in Chrome and got huge BODYDATA.DAT files instead of an executable.
Here's what I got when attempting the download in firefox. This is from the Sony Asia (.com.au) site
The v1.05 update file is named BODYDATA.DAT and is 839.8 MB, whilst the v1.10 update file is also named BODYDATA.DAT and is around 860.2 MB. These are not executable files just generic data files. I downloaded using Chrome without any issues.

The v1.05 update file is named BODYDATA.DAT and is 839.8 MB, whilst the v1.10 update file is also named BODYDATA.DAT and is around 860.2 MB. These are not executable files just generic data files. I downloaded using Chrome without any issues.
I used Safari to follow the directions and the updates (I had v1.01) applied without difficulty.

Crossed fingers, crossed legs and held in the bum cheeks and all happened as it should, will be interesting to see what if any improvements have been made to the Eye AF but I was happy with it as was anyway. Russ.

I don’t know yet. I’ll play with it this afternoon and test it.

Question:

When Sony does firmware updates, is each previous update included in the current version, or do you need to do them separately?

If separately I'm going to wait to see how these all work out and then go ahead with it. Even though I'm not experiencing any issues, I don't want to get too far behind in case something critical is updated.

Edit:

Found this at the Sony Rumors Site

Precautions when updating from Ver.1.01 or earlier

• When updating from Ver.1.01 or earlier, you need to update to Ver.1.05 before proceeding with the Ver.1.10 update. Only update to Ver.1.10 after updating to Ver.1.05. If you try to update to Ver.1.10 without updating to Ver.1.05, an error will occur and you will not be able to update.
  • Follow the instructions below to check the system software version.
    Note: If the Date/Time setting screen appears when you turn on your camera, be sure to set the date and time to the correct values.
So I guess I'll be updating all of these as soon as I know they aren't faulty. This is a cheesy fail for Sony AFAIC. With Panasonic you only needed to update the most recent to get them all. Sony could do this if they wanted to.

Some of these comments are citing problems. Not sure if it's the firmware or user error:

Last edited:
The promise of better wireless connectivity got the better of me so I decided to jump right in.

Downloaded 1.05, transfer to SD, install in camera and updated. Deleted the copy of the first update from computer and SD card and downloaded the 1.10 version and did the update. (Less confusion over which was which as both files are named bodydata.dat)

It took no time at all and I can confirm the wireless connectivity seems to be more stable to my phone. It was terrible and kept dropping prior to the update. That in itself is worth the update.

Last edited:
Edit: Okay so the bodydat.dat is correct and used by the updater tool. I should read the instructions instead of expecting the update to be like older cameras. The way my version of Firefox handles it is still weird.

I had the same issue with Firefox but Chrome was fine. My upgrade to v1.05 & v1.10 is complete. It's nice to be able to do these Firmware updates from a picture card.

I had the same issue with Firefox but Chrome was fine. My upgrade to v1.05 & v1.10 is complete. It's nice to be able to do these Firmware updates from a picture card.
Agreed!

I am seeing what I think is an improvement with the eye AF.

Denoise-2.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 8000

Taken today ISO 8000, run through topaz denoise and Lightroom Updated firmware yesterday without any problems. Russ.

I am seeing what I think is an improvement with the eye AF.
Actually Sony had complaints from people that the camera would focus on the eye lashes so they moved the focal point back to the eye ball.

All,

This is the most frustrating thing I've ever done in Sonny's user friendly company about ever worked with. I had a Sony account but it would not let me login so I change the password at least 10 times tried to re-create a new account none of that worked. Anyway so I went to the download page and I don't have the download for a Mac OS system anymore. There's a great tutorial on YouTube but the pages she goes to and talks about don't exist anymore... I've given up for now unless someone can point me in the correct direction.

This does not work anymore Sony does not support the mac option:

But this did and I upgraded to 1.05 on to 1.10 next

So I successfully updated to the latest version 1.10. You can only do it by loading the file onto your SD card from slot number one. I was not sure how to do this but I took a chance when you take the cord out it still has the update file from your last update so I just drag the new one on there and said replays said it seemed to work.

I had a Sony account with all my products registered but somehow they lost it so I created a new account and loaded a bunch of my products in there and it lets me login but when I click on my registered products it says you have to create an account to see those but I was already in an account and already spent half a day hanging out at their website and I'm running out of interest. I hope some of my problems help someone else.

Last edited:
Thank you to @Timothy Mayo for keeping us posted on updates, as I would likely not know otherwise. I just did both updates - ver 1.05 first followed immediately by ver 1.10. Thanks also to Timothy for letting us know you had to do it in that order instead of jumping straight to 1.10. I am going to walk through the arroyo behind my condo right now to look for javelinas and make sure the camera still works!

Thank you to @Timothy Mayo for keeping us posted on updates, as I would likely not know otherwise. I just did both updates - ver 1.05 first followed immediately by ver 1.10. Thanks also to Timothy for letting us know you had to do it in that order instead of jumping straight to 1.10. I am going to walk through the arroyo behind my condo right now to look for javelinas and make sure the camera still works!
Glad that it all went smoothly for you Fred!

All,

This is the most frustrating thing I've ever done in Sonny's user friendly company about ever worked with. I had a Sony account but it would not let me login so I change the password at least 10 times tried to re-create a new account none of that worked. Anyway so I went to the download page and I don't have the download for a Mac OS system anymore. There's a great tutorial on YouTube but the pages she goes to and talks about don't exist anymore... I've given up for now unless someone can point me in the correct direction.

This does not work anymore Sony does not support the mac option:

But this did and I upgraded to 1.05 on to 1.10 next

So I successfully updated to the latest version 1.10. You can only do it by loading the file onto your SD card from slot number one. I was not sure how to do this but I took a chance when you take the cord out it still has the update file from your last update so I just drag the new one on there and said replays said it seemed to work.

I had a Sony account with all my products registered but somehow they lost it so I created a new account and loaded a bunch of my products in there and it lets me login but when I click on my registered products it says you have to create an account to see those but I was already in an account and already spent half a day hanging out at their website and I'm running out of interest. I hope some of my problems help someone else.
Sony's firmware updates have always been a nightmare, more so for Mac users. The a7 IV is the first camera to support firmware updates via the memory card which does make it a lot easier, although how Sony have gone about this by requiring 1.05 before going to 1.10 is confusing for many. It doesn't help that both updates use the same file name so users are downloading 1.10 to the same directory as 1.05 and it might get automatically renamed to something like BODYDATA-1.DAT which of course the camera won't recognise. Hopefully this will be a lot less painful in the future.

I updated 2 of my lens last night then went on to the camera
I downloaded 1.05 but it will not open when I click on it
Any ideas ?

Back