Sony a7iii mp4 file format

Chesney

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Chesney Vermeulen
Hi guys!

I am new hear and just to let you guys know English isn't my native language. So you know. Don't mind my mistake ;)

If I am not allowed to post this I'll delete it no problem. :)

I have a problem and I can't figure out how to fix it. I have been looking the solution for over a week now and hopefully someone here can hell me. :)

I have a a7iii and I wanted to learn how to make videos. Now I keep getting mp4 files that look horrible. Like lots of noise and stuff.
Sow I have been researching and I have come across mov files which I am unable to get out of camera.

I have put pp on slog and ect, put in on XAVC 4k and HD tried a lot of different settings with the same results. Even tried exporting the files using the Sony home software but keep getting mp4 files that look horrible.

The only thing I can think of now is that the ad card is the issue, the specs of that are 95mb/s 64gb sandisk SD card.
So I though it would have been fine on 60bit rate instead of 100mb rate.

Hopefully some one here can help me. I have been considering returning my microphone and gimball just because I can't get it to work.

Anyways, thanks in advance for the effort! :D

My a7ii makes excellent videos in the different formats that I've tried (avchd and mp4). If your problem is noise maybe you don't have good enough lighting so the iso has been pushed up. Start by seeing if a a still photo is good with a shutter speed and aperture that's reasonable ie maybe at least 1/30s but better 1/60.

If your still photos are noisy then the video will be too.

My a7ii makes excellent videos in the different formats that I've tried (avchd and mp4). If your problem is noise maybe you don't have good enough lighting so the iso has been pushed up. Start by seeing if a a still photo is good with a shutter speed and aperture that's reasonable ie maybe at least 1/30s but better 1/60.

If your still photos are noisy then the video will be too.
Hi Chris!

Thank you for your reply.
I have had the a7iii for 2 years now and photos are coming out great. Here is a link of an album that includes some photos I took.

Now yesterday I found out that xcav s always outputs to an mp4 file. I though it had to be a mov.file but looks like I was mistaken.
Since I have to work during the day and its already dark when I get home and is dark when I get up I will try and experiment a bit more this weekend. So I don't have to use my houses light.

Anyways I'll keep this updated if I succeed to get good quality out of my camera or if I have more questions!

Thank you very much though for your time! :D

My suggestion was to try a still in the same conditions and see what settings you end up with.
Then keep an eye on what the video settings are especially Iso, since you mentioned noise.

I haven't done much video, but for the a7ii, it appears to be a more automatic mode than stills so that's why I wondered if the camera had pushed the Iso too high.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if you can solve your problem :)

My suggestion was to try a still in the same conditions and see what settings you end up with.
Then keep an eye on what the video settings are especially Iso, since you mentioned noise.

I haven't done much video, but for the a7ii, it appears to be a more automatic mode than stills so that's why I wondered if the camera had pushed the Iso too high.

I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if you can solve your problem :)
Must have mis read it.
Makes sense to try and take still image aswell and compare those.

I will definitely try this.
Thank you again. :)

Hi Chris,

My apologies for the late response.

I can say that I have solved my problem.

The issue was my SD card.
I was using a "Sandisk Extreme PRO SDXC V30 I u3 64GB" which has a read/write speed of 95MB/s.
Now after making a post on this forum and messaging with you I read a reddit post and one of the comments there mentioned that you can get so called "Video Noise" by using a to slow SD card.
Considering my sd card only costed like 30 Euro's, I looked up for a better one and ordered it straight away.

Now, a week later the new sd card came in the mail which is the "Sandisk Extreme PRO SDXC II U3 128GB" and has a read speed of 300MB/s and write speed of 260MB/s. It cost me 200 euros this one but I can confirm that this solved my problem.

I did a compare test, same settings different SD card and can confirm there is a big difference.
So hopefully if anyone else reads this post and has the same issue, buying a better sd card solved my problem.

Anyway Thank you again for trying to solve my problem! :)

Back