Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Hmmm, too bad the frequent issues with the 200-600 aren't mentioned in the update notes. If those would be fixed I would consider getting the A7R IV instead of the A9 as I really want the 200-600 for (african) wildlife...

• Admin
Hmmm, too bad the frequent issues with the 200-600 aren't mentioned in the update notes. If those would be fixed I would consider getting the A7R IV instead of the A9 as I really want the 200-600 for (african) wildlife...
Definitely agree with this and I'm not going to hold my breath that Sony is actually going to bring out a fix since they are so quiet about it. I've been fortunate with my R4 and 200-600 and I know many others are happy with their combo as well, but there are also a significant number of respected photographers who have not been happy. If you can buy it from somewhere with a no questions asked returns policy or restocking fee (like Amazon direct) then you could send it back if you are not happy, but I know that's a right pain in the back side!

I guess I am fortunate in that I have not experienced the issues that some people have reported with the A7R IV and the 200-600mm; I've used the lens both with and without a 1.4x TC and again, no issues that I can discern.

I haven't yet done any firmware updates on my A7R IV, as I'm not quite sure of the procedure even though I did look at the instructions provided by Sony when the first update was released. I am on a 2018 MacBook Pro and have seen comments that there are issues with doing the firmware updates on Macs. ?? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I know I really should keep my camera updated!

I hadn't seen this latest update, will get that done. Strangely the lens that causes me the most problems with auto focus is the 85m GM. It just whirs away for ages. Works fine on my husbands A7riii but not the riv

Have updated mind but haven't noticed any differences with the 200-600mm but I haven't been experiencing any of the problems that have been mentioned in the forums.

I've updated, and actually think it may have made my 200 600 worse, but I need more testing time. I had no issues at all before, but on my first shoot I had a series of 20 shots that back focussed by a foot. It may have been me, or I may have moved my focus point by mistake, but I'm pretty sure I didn't. I'll report back after Saturdays shoot.

Well that’s not good news. Hopefully it was just an aberration

It seems it was, last weekends shooting was spot on :) Probably user idiocy before, probably caught my thumb on the joystick thingummy.

Back