Sony FE 300mm GM + Zemlin Cape and a Owl Coat Came Len Cover

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

TheFloridaShooter

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
It's like Christmas in March - I recieved the FE 300 f/2.8 GM on the day of release. I ordered the Zemlin cap the moment I got the email from them stating they were ready to take orders and found the place to order the lens covering on this site. The Zemlin cap and the Owl Coat(owlcoat.com) arrived in today's mail. The Zemlin is extremely well made and the Owl Coat is exactly what I was looking for. Some lens covering can be difficult to put on, but the Owl Coat took me less than 10 mins. On a safety note - the Owl Coat would keep the Really Right Stuff Lens-Foot from slidng off in the unlikely event it became loose. Oh and I always put a neoprene camo Lencoat hood on all off my long lenses.

Attachments

• IMG_3766.jpg
    IMG_3766.jpg
    641.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_3767.jpg
    IMG_3767.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
How secure does the Zemlin cap feel? I am so accustomed to putting on the lens cap before putting the lens in the bag that I feel awkward not doing so, but the hat really doesn't fit into any of my bags.

How secure does the Zemlin cap feel? I am so accustomed to putting on the lens cap before putting the lens in the bag that I feel awkward not doing so, but the hat really doesn't fit into any of my bags.
Very secure, I have one for my 400 and 600

What's the purpose of the lens cap? I've never heard of them and went to look it up. $90 for a lens cap seems kind of excessive. Is there something special about it?

It's just another form of protection.
How so? My question is based on the cost for a lens cap. How does the performance of this $90 lens cap exceed that of the one that came with the lens? I'm not challenging you, I want to understand. Does it stay on better?

not sure the 300 mm or any large prime comes with a lens cap, for sure none of the older white primes I have came with a lens cap, having said that I would not buy one at the price anyway

Owl coat?
I cannot find any information except your posting at 3, 4 photo site. Owlcoat.com site is not in use right now.
Maybe I am looking in the wrong spot.

How so? My question is based on the cost for a lens cap. How does the performance of this $90 lens cap exceed that of the one that came with the lens? I'm not challenging you, I want to understand. Does it stay on better?
The one that comes with the 300mm is a soft cap and honestly it doesn't stay on very well. The hard cap from Zelin provide protection from imact , moisture and airborne particles.

The one that comes with the 300mm is a soft cap and honestly it doesn't stay on very well. The hard cap from Zelin provide protection from imact , moisture and airborne particles.
Got it, so it's one of those slip on type caps. Probably interferes with the hood as well? Thanks, makes sense.

The lens doesn't come with a regular lens cap - it doesn't have filter threads for one to attach to, either (or I'd have bought a regular lens cap). I believe this cap is designed to fit into what the lens does have (which is s series of steps) - it's a custom design.

The lens is supplied with a "hat", which provides excellent protection (no complaints there!), but the hat is bulky - it goes over the lens hood, and the hood is quite large, too. All up, the hat makes it difficult to fit the lens into a bag, but without the hat, the front element is uncovered, and that scares me - it's a large piece of glass, and I imagine that replacing it would be quite expensive.

So I'm interested in the option of a lens cap that lets me protect the front element, but allows the lens to fit into the bag far more easily.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back