iain clyne

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Iain Clyne
I am thinking of getting a Sony FE 70-200mm f4 G OSS Lens and was wondering if anyone had tried this lens with the 1.4TC on it. If so what was it like?

In answer to my own question I have just found that it won't fit the F4

In answer to my own question I have just found that it won't fit the F4
That is a shame. I assumed it would fit the f4 as well, but I just looked it up and you are correct. The newer version ii of the 70-200 f2.8 is quite light and the handling might be close enough to the f4 to make it easy to hold and use. What is NOT easy is the deep gouge on your credit card if you buy one!

It is interesting that Canon does not allow teleconverters to be used even on their 70-200 f2.8 in the new R mount (mirrorless), though in the old EF (SLR) mount they could be used on both the f2.8 and the f4 version. Nikon does allow a teleconverter to be used on their new Z mount (mirrorless) 70-200 f2.8, but they do not make an f4 version. In their old F mount (SLR), it can be used on both the f2.8 and f4 versions.

My 70-200 is the Nikon F f2.8 version, and I often use it with a 1.4x teleconverter. I would hate to not be able to have that option.

That is a shame. I assumed it would fit the f4 as well, but I just looked it up and you are correct. The newer version ii of the 70-200 f2.8 is quite light and the handling might be close enough to the f4 to make it easy to hold and use. What is NOT easy is the deep gouge on your credit card if you buy one!
I would have to dig enough to find gold before buying one of them.

The problem is that the lens has to be designed for the TC's. I'm guessing that if you did that, it would add length, cost and weight to the lens. The manufacturer would have to weigh these factors with the possible sales that they might generate. Also, some of the lens designs, pre-date the introduction of the TC's.

I've been using the 70 - 200 ii with the 1.4 tc whilst travelling around Japan. It's relatively lightweight combination, versatile and compact.

The price is horrible, but either I spend it or the kids get it later on.

The thing is that both TCs extend inside the lens (I imagine there is some optical reason why), so the lens has to have the space at the rear to accomodate that. I think there is some firmware requirement, too. I saw a report on another forum of someone getting a Sigma kens (might have been 100-400) working on a TC, but it required a power cycle and operated with less functionality.

I would have liked to be able to put the TCs on the 135 GM, but alas, that just not possible.

Seems the qualifiers for TC are that the lens has to be white and expensive :cool:

Well, you should sure as heck enjoy it!

Now's my chance! My investment in plastic crypto was inspired, they've kept almost 100% of purchase value 😃.

Plan B is my Focal 80-200/3.5, a little something from the superpower days of KMart.. Screenshot_20230215-183456.jpeg

Last edited:
I've got a Focal 135/2.8, in MD. Great lens.

I am thinking of getting a Sony FE 70-200mm f4 G OSS Lens and was wondering if anyone had tried this lens with the 1.4TC on it. If so what was it like?
The new version does ...I have the one you were talking about and considered the new version and a 1.4 also.

The new version does ...I have the one you were talking about and considered the new version and a 1.4 also.
Yes, that’s one of the changes in the new one - it supports the TCs that the old 70-200 f/4 did not.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back