Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
A quick update to this article as Sony has now added support for macOS 10.13 – 10.15 to their Imaging Edge Webcam Software.

Last edited:
It makes a change for us PC users to get something first - fascinating idea and may actually be useful!

hopefully it ends up being useful and they make a version for Mac

Seems like it is more of a test piece, not exactly something people will use seriously. Limited to basic HD resolution, no audio through camera, etc... I wouldn't be too dissapointed as a MacOS user not getting this, yet... Let them work out what they need for the Windows folks, then we can see if you acutally want it for the Mac....

Better functionality is available by using the HDMI out, and a USB PC adapter like Cam Link 4k or the likes... Not sure if that solves the audio issue, but makes for more usable video resolutions...

Greg

As a PC user who does not have a capture card or webcam but does have a good microphone, this could be useful to me on the odd occasion if i was looking to connect with friends or family online.

Clearly not for everyone though as it does not support MacOS users and any serious streamer would want better quality!

Thanks for the info.
Adam

Seems like it is more of a test piece, not exactly something people will use seriously. Limited to basic HD resolution, no audio through camera, etc... I wouldn't be too dissapointed as a MacOS user not getting this, yet... Let them work out what they need for the Windows folks, then we can see if you acutally want it for the Mac....

Better functionality is available by using the HDMI out, and a USB PC adapter like Cam Link 4k or the likes... Not sure if that solves the audio issue, but makes for more usable video resolutions...

Greg

Hadn't read the details on the resolution.. good to know.

I'm curious about the potential damage to the camera if its used in this mode for an abnormal period of time. I would imagine the camera was set to function primarily as a still image camera but allow for decent video capture. There has been overheating issues for those shooting video for longer periods of time (keeping the LCD screen up and off the back of the camera helps) but the camera still builds up a good amount of heat. I'd have to think that using it for streaming for a few hours on end could be harmful (do they warn against it?)

Still, I think in a pinch this could have exceptional purpose. It might not be a CamLink but it is at least free. I could have potentially used this this past weekend. We run a non-profit that performs scientific study on birds of prey and we were live streaming from our migration count location. Being able to use my 200-600 on a migrating Red-tailed Hawk could have been cool.

Back