Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, CA
I have a Product evaluation to share with my Forum friends. My Wife gave me a Christmas gift of a Sony GP-VPT2BT Wireless Shooting Grip. You gotta Love the Amazon Wish List.

2022-01-11_001.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 55mm F1.8 ZA
  • 55.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 125

This is the Grip mounted to my Sony A7M4. All plastic of course, it uses Bluetooth technology to connect to your Bluetooth enabled camera. CAUTION: Not all Sony’s offer Bluetooth. There is a securely latched, flush mounted access door on the widest of the three legs that is access to the CR2032 battery that powers the unit. I have another Sony remote (RMT-P1BT) that is powered by the same battery and the only time I have replaced the battery in over a year is when I failed to “Lock” the device when I was finished using it.

2022-01-11_003.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 55mm F1.8 ZA
  • 55.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 125

This shows the grip with the legs deployed to act as a mini-tripod. This is a sturdy base for the camera but I’m not sure if I would mount an FE 200-600mm Telephoto to it and walk away but for most lenses, it is a solid mount. Notice the Push-Button where the legs come together. When pushed, the photographer can change the angle of the grip to the camera.

2022-01-11_004.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 55mm F1.8 ZA
  • 55.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 100

This is a view of the controls, which I suspect need no explanation except for the Rocker Switch between the Photo and the Movie button. This switch will operate in Movie mode or in Photo mode if your camera supports Digital Zoom. In Photo mode, it operates for JPEG shooting only, not RAW. I have tested this function on my A7M4 and it does work. The controls also have a Lock Switch. I believe the lock switch removes battery power from the unit, but I would not swear to it.

2022-01-11_005.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 55mm F1.8 ZA
  • 55.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 500

The knurled knob on the right with the coin slot in it is a tension adjustment for the angle of the grip. So far, my Arthritis does not require me to use a coin. In this photo you can see a small, rectangular push button just below the knurled attachment wheel. This releases the camera to rotate 360° with solid detents every 90°.
2022-01-11_008.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 55mm F1.8 ZA
  • 55.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 200

This shows a comfortable angle for walking and shooting movies.
2022-01-11_009.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 55mm F1.8 ZA
  • 55.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 500

The unit is shown here with the legs vertical.

In summary, at $138 US Dollars, this seems a bit pricey. Pricey Sony stuff is not a “Shocker” for me but this feels and looks to me like a well designed, quality product. While getting good service from an accessory like this, the price will not linger in my mind. What do they say? “Cry once!”

Last edited:
I looked at these when researching my camera. It's a clever bit of kit, aimed a Vloggers (aaagh, I hate that term), but with lots of other uses. Not exactly useful for a camera with a 200 600 :D

I looked at these when researching my camera. It's a clever bit of kit, aimed a Vloggers (aaagh, I hate that term), but with lots of other uses. Not exactly useful for a camera with a 200 600 :D
I think perhaps a set of wheels would be more useful, Kev. :D Seriously though, this is going to be useful for me when I want to set the camera down near ground level for a shot. This piece, along with the articulating display of the M4 and a 2 second delayed shutter release will allow me to make shots that my Arthritic back would prevent me from making.

For ground level remotely triggered situations I prefer a slightly less portable (But also cheaper) non plastic (Doesn’t get scratched by rocks) table-top tripod with a proper ball-head (for leveling) that does not require me to remove my peak design plates from the camera body before use. Also extensible legs provide for a wider/stabler footing and can be opened to a flat horizontal position. Also useful for raising the camera a little bit higher above a crowd, or an off camera flash a little bit away off axis. Different fish

I think perhaps a set of wheels would be more useful, Kev. :D Seriously though, this is going to be useful for me when I want to set the camera down near ground level for a shot. This piece, along with the articulating display of the M4 and a 2 second delayed shutter release will allow me to make shots that my Arthritic back would prevent me from making.
Haha, I don't need wheels for the lens. I might need them to replace my knackered knees though.

That was very thoughtful of her, Jeff.

I have a Product evaluation to share with my Forum friends. My Wife gave me a Christmas gift of a Sony GP-VPT2BT Wireless Shooting Grip. You gotta Love the Amazon Wish List.

View attachment 16246
This is the Grip mounted to my Sony A7M4. All plastic of course, it uses Bluetooth technology to connect to your Bluetooth enabled camera. CAUTION: Not all Sony’s offer Bluetooth. There is a securely latched, flush mounted access door on the widest of the three legs that is access to the CR2032 battery that powers the unit. I have another Sony remote (RMT-P1BT) that is powered by the same battery and the only time I have replaced the battery in over a year is when I failed to “Lock” the device when I was finished using it.

View attachment 16247
This shows the grip with the legs deployed to act as a mini-tripod. This is a sturdy base for the camera but I’m not sure if I would mount an FE 200-600mm Telephoto to it and walk away but for most lenses, it is a solid mount. Notice the Push-Button where the legs come together. When pushed, the photographer can change the angle of the grip to the camera.

View attachment 16248
This is a view of the controls, which I suspect need no explanation except for the Rocker Switch between the Photo and the Movie button. This switch will operate in Movie mode or in Photo mode if your camera supports Digital Zoom. In Photo mode, it operates for JPEG shooting only, not RAW. I have tested this function on my A7M4 and it does work. The controls also have a Lock Switch. I believe the lock switch removes battery power from the unit, but I would not swear to it."

View attachment 16249
The knurled knob on the right with the coin slot in it is a tension adjustment for the angle of the grip. So far, my Arthritis does not require me to use a coin. In this photo you can see a small, rectangular push button just below the knurled attachment wheel. This releases the camera to rotate 360° with solid detents every 90°.
View attachment 16250
This shows a comfortable angle for walking and shooting movies.
View attachment 16251
The unit is shown here with the legs vertical.

In summary, at $138 US Dollars, this seems a bit pricey. Pricey Sony stuff is not a “Shocker” for me but this feels and looks to me like a well designed, quality product. While getting good service from an accessory like this, the price will not linger in my mind. What do they say? “Cry once!”
Please note that since I published this document, I found some actual illustrated instructions and I learned that the section of the controls for this Shooting Grip needed to be revised. I have made this revision but instead of having the reader try and figure out what changed, here is the revised text. The revision has to do with the Wide-Zoom Rocker switch in the Shooting Grip.
"This is a view of the controls, which I suspect need no explanation except for the Rocker Switch between the Photo and the Movie button. This switch will operate in Movie mode or in Photo mode if your camera supports Digital Zoom. In Photo mode, it operates for JPEG shooting only, not RAW. I have tested this function on my A7M4 and it does work. The controls also have a Lock Switch. I believe the lock switch removes battery power from the unit, but I would not swear to it.

Please note that since I published this document, I found some actual illustrated instructions and I learned that the section of the controls for this Shooting Grip needed to be revised. I have made this revision but instead of having the reader try and figure out what changed, here is the revised text. The revision has to do with the Wide-Zoom Rocker switch in the Shooting Grip.
"This is a view of the controls, which I suspect need no explanation except for the Rocker Switch between the Photo and the Movie button. This switch will operate in Movie mode or in Photo mode if your camera supports Digital Zoom. In Photo mode, it operates for JPEG shooting only, not RAW. I have tested this function on my A7M4 and it does work. The controls also have a Lock Switch. I believe the lock switch removes battery power from the unit, but I would not swear to it.
Bluetooth 5.0 only spends a very minute amount of power to stay connected and ready-to-go, I can run my Apple magic keyboard for 6 months continuously on (24h/7) and with moderate active use (avg 3h/day) without ever turning it off on the mechanical ON-OFF switch that it does have. Being always on allows me to put the iMac on sleep mode (instead of powering it down) and it awakes immediately with a mere 2x shift key press on the wireless keyboard.

I doubt that lock button powers your Sony tripod down: would take too long to be ready for action if it was truly off.

Aw Jeff don't tempt me with another piece of kit! LOL!
I am not a vlogger, but I think this does look like a comfortable way to shoot video when traveling. The convenience of having the record buton and zoom rocker by your thumb is also good.

Of course, video stabilization in my a6400 is so bad that if I wanted handheld video, I might reach for a gopro instead. Another reason why this was targeted to the vlogging camera users who have active stabilization. Does the A7IV have active stabilization?

Aw Jeff don't tempt me with another piece of kit! LOL!
I am not a vlogger, but I think this does look like a comfortable way to shoot video when traveling. The convenience of having the record buton and zoom rocker by your thumb is also good.

Of course, video stabilization in my a6400 is so bad that if I wanted handheld video, I might reach for a gopro instead. Another reason why this was targeted to the vlogging camera users who have active stabilization. Does the A7IV have active stabilization?
Yes. Chris, someday you'll own something like an A7III or A7IV. Admit it! You deserve it!

Back