Sony A6300 Resources: Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

genesiusj

Followers
Following
Name
Genesius Jaromsky
Sony A6300 Changes Settings on Its Own
Hello,
I apologize if I break any forum rules*; I am a bit nervous and need an answer fairly quickly. Googling my question returns nothing.
I'm going to view (shoot?) the Solar Eclipse two weeks from today. I'm drving 5 1/2 hours to Upstate New York and will be in Totality for 3 minutes and 27 seconds. I was psyched, but an issuse occurred the past week that has me anxious.
In cold weather (30 - low 40's ?) my camera settings go crazy: Menu and Fn buttons won't work; Aperture and Shutter Speed change on their own (not only in A,M, S modes, but Auto as well); Exposure Compensation, set at 0, will jump to -/+ 3; and other wonky things.
This is my kit:
  • Sony A6300
  • SEL18200 OSS Lens
  • K&F Concept A-mount to E-mount adapter
  • SIgma 28-300mm 1:3.5-6.3D A-mount lens (use adper to connect to A6300)
I purchased the adapter AFTER the following happened on the A6300. For Christmas I was given a Meike MK-A6300 Vertical Shooting Grip Power Pack Holder. Unfortunately, thanks to the Play Memories app being discontinued, I was never able to establish a connection between my camera and laptop with other than a USB cable. Therefore, everytime I was done with my shooting for the day, I had to disconnect USB cable to the Meike AND remove the grip from the A6300 in order to replace the dummy battery used by the Meike and insert a good battery. This is frustrating. The cable from the Meike was a tight fit into the USB port in the A6300. However, I bent the connector in the A6300 and can no longer use the Meike. I made NO attempt to repair on my own. The time and cost to have it repaired would break into my practice/rehearsal for the Eclipse.

Please ask whatever clarifying questions needed to help me resolve this settings issue quickly.
* I apologize if anything in this post came off abruptly, or if I have posting in the wrong forum.

Thanks and God bless,
Genesius

I'll let Brownie address the whole solar eclipse and filter discussion as he's really been getting into it.

Your problem with the a6300 sounds serious. Does it happen in Manual mode? that is the only mode you will need for the eclipse. I never experienced similar with my a6000, a6400, or a6700, but then again I don't live in a cold climate. If it happens with both your 18-200 or adapted 28-300, then you know its the camera body itself. It might even be related to your USB port issues.

Once you familiarize yourself with the solar filters in the thread suggested by Brownie, maybe you would be better served by renting a replacement APSC body for this event and sending your a6300 in for servicing later.

Hi Brownie,
What I have been told, Google, YouTube, Facebook, friends, make sure you are using an ISO-12312-2 certified solar filter. Stay away from ND filters. I'm a newbie, so I am sure others will say ND's are fine. But I've read horror stories, so...
95% totality is not Totality. Therefore, the sun will still be its immense brightness and wreak hovac on your kit and your eyes if you are not using a certified filter. I will post a pic I shoot of the 2017 Solar Eclipse where I believe NJ was at ~90% (I don't remember). I did not purchase glasses or a filter for my cell phone. I was stubborn, the only precaution (stupidly) was looked the sun as a reflected off my turned off work cell phone. I shot a couple of pics with my other cell phone of the partial eclipse on my nose and cheek.
God bless,
Genesius

Hi Brownie,
What I have been told, Google, YouTube, Facebook, friends, make sure you are using an ISO-12312-2 certified solar filter. Stay away from ND filters. I'm a newbie, so I am sure others will say ND's are fine. But I've read horror stories, so...
95% totality is not Totality. Therefore, the sun will still be its immense brightness and wreak hovac on your kit and your eyes if you are not using a certified filter. I will post a pic I shoot of the 2017 Solar Eclipse where I believe NJ was at ~90% (I don't remember). I did not purchase glasses or a filter for my cell phone. I was stubborn, the only precaution (stupidly) was looked the sun as a reflected off my turned off work cell phone. I shot a couple of pics with my other cell phone of the partial eclipse on my nose and cheek.
God bless,
Genesius
Click the link Brownie shared; he is DEFINITELY not advocating ND filters.

Sony claims that the operating temp for the A6300 is 32–104°F / 0–40°C. So it really shouldn't be playing up in these temps. Does it happen with the SEL18200 as well or only when using the Sigma 28-300mm and lens adapter?

Click the link Brownie shared; he is DEFINITELY not advocating ND filters.
New to the forum. When I saw brownie's response I thought it was a new post related to Solar Eclipses. My bad :confused:. Disregard my answer. Or can I just delete it?
God bless,
Genesius

I'll let Brownie address the whole solar eclipse and filter discussion as he's really been getting into it.

Your problem with the a6300 sounds serious. Does it happen in Manual mode? that is the only mode you will need for the eclipse. I never experienced similar with my a6000, a6400, or a6700, but then again I don't live in a cold climate. If it happens with both your 18-200 or adapted 28-300, then you know its the camera body itself. It might even be related to your USB port issues.

Once you familiarize yourself with the solar filters in the thread suggested by Brownie, maybe you would be better served by renting a replacement APSC body for this event and sending your a6300 in for servicing later.
Thanks, FowlersFreeTime.
I check out the suggestions when I get home. Its 48 here today. I'll shoot some outdoors, and then some indoors; using both lenses in Auto, S, A, M modes. I'll update this post with the results.
Thanks for your help.
God bless,
Genesius

Sony claims that the operating temp for the A6300 is 32–104°F / 0–40°C. So it really shouldn't be playing up in these temps. Does it happen with the SEL18200 as well or only when using the Sigma 28-300mm and lens adapter?
Hi Tim,
Glad be a part of this forum.
If you check my answer to Fowler, I am going to test tonight.
Apologies. Freaking out with this issue and time running out.
Thanks and God bless,
Genesius

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and coments.
Conerning my shooting of Totality, it is suggested to bracket these shots. As a newbie, I've never done this; which is another reason why I am freaking out with practicing. Q - Can bracketing be done with this adapter and vintage glass? I mean, I cannot control the F-stop. Will bracketing work?
Thanks and God bless,
Genesius

Hi Brownie,
God bless,
Genesius
You are correct, you need an ISO certifies solar filter or the material with which to make one. B&H sells both and has a tremdous amount of information on eclipse watching and photography on their website. I've purchased filter material, binocular filters, and glasses from them. Other than that I don't understand what the question is?

Does this issue happen with the Sony lens or with the adapted lens?
Hi, iamdlewis.
I'm going to re-check and document when I get home this evening; both outdoors and indoors, with both lenses. I'll update my post with my findings.
Thanks and God bless,
Genesius

You are correct, you need an ISO certifies solar filter or the material with which to make one. B&H sells both and has a tremdous amount of information on eclipse watching and photography on their website. I've purchased filter material, binocular filters, and glasses from them. Other than that I don't understand what the question is?
Brownie,
I don't have a question about the Eclipse per se. My question was about my A6300 making erratic setting changes on its own; as well as Menu, Fn and other keys being inoperable when outdoors in 30-40 degree (F) temps.
I mentioned the Eclipse because I am frantic that my A6300 will fail during the Eclipse. I'm going North to Lake Ontario (closet locale to when I live in NJ). Temps will be colder in No. NYS than they are in Central NJ.
Thanks and God bless,
Genesius

Brownie,
I don't have a question about the Eclipse per se. My question was about my A6300 making erratic setting changes on its own; as well as Menu, Fn and other keys being inoperable when outdoors in 30-40 degree (F) temps.
I mentioned the Eclipse because I am frantic that my A6300 will fail during the Eclipse. I'm going North to Lake Ontario (closet locale to when I live in NJ). Temps will be colder in No. NYS than they are in Central NJ.
Thanks and God bless,
Genesius
That behavior is clearly not normal. I don't know that it will help, but I would try a factory reset. Short of that, with no time for repairs and concern for missing the event, your choices are probably limited to rent, borrow, or buy.

That behavior is clearly not normal. I don't know that it will help, but I would try a factory reset. Short of that, with no time for repairs and concern for missing the event, your choices are probably limited to rent, borrow, or buy.
I just shot outdoors with the SEL18200 and the solar filter. It was 49/50 degrees F, so not really cold. Erratic settings behavior, buttons not always responding. Very sad. Going to try a factory reset after the A6300 has a chance to warm up to indoor temps. Will post results.
Thanks and God bless,
Genesius

I just shot outdoors with the SEL18200 and the solar filter. It was 49/50 degrees F, so not really cold. Erratic settings behavior, buttons not always responding. Very sad. Going to try a factory reset after the A6300 has a chance to warm up to indoor temps. Will post results.
Thanks and God bless,
Genesius
Brownie,
Did a factory reset and it appears OK for now. Dark outside, so I cannot test. Will test tomorrow and post results. Thanks for your help.
God bless,
Genesius

Thanks and God bless,
Genesius

Brownie,
Did a factory reset and it appears OK for now. Dark outside, so I cannot test. Will test tomorrow and post results. Thanks for your help.
God bless,
Genesius
Good luck!

All,
Factory reset worked...temporarily. Indoors at the railstation w/SEL18200 worked for about 2 -3 minutes. Then the settings and buttons went wonky. At one point, it swtiched to Bulb and stayed there.
Since it is obvious that the board is short circuiting and needs to be repaired, I am going to take a risk at bending the connector back. Wish me luck.
Thanks and God bless,
Genesius

Update.
Various camera shops quote ~$400 to repair: replace any/of these (USB port, main board, flexible board [controls all the buttons]). I pay for shipping. This will run me well over $500 because I would need 1-day shipping both ways. I might receive my camera in time before I drive to Upstate NY.
On a lark (aka divine inspiration) figuring I could not do any more damage to my A6300 than there already was, I used a very small flat-head jewelry screwdrive and "moved" the bent contact with the USB connector and was able to set all my controls.
I shot about 5-7 sets of bracketed 3-9 pics (first time using bracketing) and things went smoothly. I haven't checked out the pics yet, but my A6300 was clicking away.
This was all with the SEL18200 lens. I'm leary of trying the Sigma 28-300mm w/the A-mount adapter because things are working. However, since it appears to be the USB cause shorts, I should give it a try.
Also, looking to wedge a small piece of non-conductive material between the contacts. Don't know what to use, or if it would make any difference.

Comments, suggestions, offers to put me out of my misery :ROFLMAO:, are appreciated.
Thanks and God bless,
Genesius

Update.
Various camera shops quote ~$400 to repair: replace any/of these (USB port, main board, flexible board [controls all the buttons]). I pay for shipping. This will run me well over $500 because I would need 1-day shipping both ways. I might receive my camera in time before I drive to Upstate NY.
On a lark (aka divine inspiration) figuring I could not do any more damage to my A6300 than there already was, I used a very small flat-head jewelry screwdrive and "moved" the bent contact with the USB connector and was able to set all my controls.
I shot about 5-7 sets of bracketed 3-9 pics (first time using bracketing) and things went smoothly. I haven't checked out the pics yet, but my A6300 was clicking away.
This was all with the SEL18200 lens. I'm leary of trying the Sigma 28-300mm w/the A-mount adapter because things are working. However, since it appears to be the USB cause shorts, I should give it a try.
Also, looking to wedge a small piece of non-conductive material between the contacts. Don't know what to use, or if it would make any difference.

Comments, suggestions, offers to put me out of my misery :ROFLMAO:, are appreciated.
Thanks and God bless,
Genesius
Sadly at that cost, you could probably purchase a newer camera body (or a second-hand camera body) and have it delivered before the Eclipse.

Sadly at that cost, you could probably purchase a newer camera body (or a second-hand camera body) and have it delivered before the Eclipse.
Fowlers,
This is true. Found used bodies for about high $400's / low $500's. But right now not in my budget because this trip is already eating into our funds. :D
My son, and my boss are supposed to driving up in his car. He had to cancel, so it will be just my son and me. wife has been a very good sport about this because we have only one car and we will be gone for 2 1/2 days. Gonna owe her big time. :ROFLMAO:
Thanks and God bless,
Genesius

Providing updates for all who were very helpful in this and other posts.
Had the opportunity to experience double totality: I was in the path of totality AND we had 100% total cloud cover. Not even partials were visible. The one saving grace was during totality we experienced 360 degree sunset. Pictures will follow in a future post.
EDITED: Apologies. Because of the issues with my A6300 wonking out, my 360 degree pics are from my point-and-shoot Kodak AZ405, which I can't post here.
Thanks and God bless,
Genesius 🙏 📸☁️

Last edited:
EDITED: Apologies. Because of the issues with my A6300 wonking out, my 360 degree pics are from my point-and-shoot Kodak AZ405, which I can't post here.
You should be able to convert those to jpeg files and post. We allow posts for non-Sony images, this site is just primarily Sony, not exclusively Sony.

About the repair stuff, if you haven't done that yet you should be able to save some money by physically dropping it off at one of the NYC centers. (I had good experience with Photo Tech Repair Service).

Sony A6300 Resources: Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

Back