Name
Rick Veazey
Country
United States
City/State
Greenville, SC
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I built a solar filter for my old K mount Sigma 50-500 that I used in 2017 for the solar eclipse. I got some step up rings to adapt it to my Sony FE 200-600 and brought it with me as we traveled to Virginia for the weekend hoping to get some shots of the partial eclipse. It rained most of the morning and was very cloudy but I was able to grab some shots in the brief moments of breaks in the clouds and was able to get some shots without the filter when the sun was behind some clouds but visible.

Here's a shot through the clouds without a filter just 10-15 minutes past the peak.
JRV06542.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 394.0 mm
  • ƒ/14
  • 1/8000 sec
  • ISO 500

A break in the clouds gave me a chance to put on the filter and get some shots. I didn't prepare well ahead of time since it looked like it would be impossible to get ay shots so I quickly took some shots. Afterwards I noticed the ISO was much higher than I needed and I was in jpg mode. This one is cropped.
JRV06574.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 12800

This one is uncropped.
JRV06577.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 12800

Thirty minutes later while looking at the previous shots I saw that it was getting brighter so I went back out with the camera set to RAW and tried several different settings with lower ISO.
JRV06645-Edit.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 1600

As the sun went back behind the clouds I got a few more shots without the filter.
JRV06742-Edit.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM5
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/18
  • 1/8000 sec
  • ISO 50

My daughter and her family are moving to Texas in January and will be in the direct path of the April 8th solar eclipse. I plan to make the trip from the east coast.

I built a solar filter for my old K mount Sigma 50-500 that I used in 2017 for the solar eclipse. I got some step up rings to adapt it to my Sony FE 200-600 and brought it with me as we traveled to Virginia for the weekend hoping to get some shots of the partial eclipse. It rained most of the morning and was very cloudy but I was able to grab some shots in the brief moments of breaks in the clouds and was able to get some shots without the filter when the sun was behind some clouds but visible.

Here's a shot through the clouds without a filter just 10-15 minutes past the peak.
View attachment 48392

A break in the clouds gave me a chance to put on the filter and get some shots. I didn't prepare well ahead of time since it looked like it would be impossible to get ay shots so I quickly took some shots. Afterwards I noticed the ISO was much higher than I needed and I was in jpg mode. This one is cropped.
View attachment 48393

This one is uncropped.
View attachment 48394

Thirty minutes later while looking at the previous shots I saw that it was getting brighter so I went back out with the camera set to RAW and tried several different settings with lower ISO.
View attachment 48395

As the sun went back behind the clouds I got a few more shots without the filter.
View attachment 48396

My daughter and her family are moving to Texas in January and will be in the direct path of the April 8th solar eclipse. I plan to make the trip from the east coast.
Thanks for sharing the photos ,good for us brits to see .

This is a collage of photos I took of the solar eclipse that we were able to view from the school where I worked in August of 2017. (Photos taken with a Pentax K3 and Sigma 50-500 lens.)

eclipsecollage2.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 48392

View attachment 48393

This one is uncropped.
View attachment 48394

View attachment 48395

View attachment 48396

Well done, great shots.

Didn't plan for this at all but had a few minutes during a safety car period and lucked out with the clouds
A1_08533.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS (SEL100400GM)
  • 102.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/32000 sec
  • ISO 2000

Back