Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
Very interesting rumor drop by Andrea over at SonyAlphaRumors: Sony is allegedly working on a 24-200mm f2.8-4.5 G OSS to possibly replace the current 24-240mm lens.

I've read some of the posts where our members have said that the original 24-240 was incredibly versatile but compromised in the corners. If they improved that, and kept the size/weight down, would you care about the loss of 40mm on the far end? My interest here is purely academic... but if I did have a full frame, like the A7C-II, this would be a great all-in-one lens.

This is what I've been on about for a couple years, begging that Sony upgrade the 24-240. This is better yet and would replace the 24-105/4 in a heartbeat. I would gladly trade the 1/3 stop slower at the long end for the 1 stop faster at the short, plus the added 95mm!

I told you that Sony plans to update some of their current G zoom lenses. Last week I leaked the possible image of a new 24-50mm f/2.8 G lens. Now I got this rumor about a second new G zoom: The Sony 24-200mm f/2.8-4.5 G OSS.

I would probably preorder this lens, the 40 at the long end isn't that big of a deal for the intended use. Image quality and lens speed are far more important to me. The one drawback to the Tamron for me as always been the 28mm short end instead of 24. I would've probably been happy with even a slight improvement over the /3.5-6.3, but this is a substantial improvement. We can probably thank Tamron for their 28-200 sales forcing Sony to react!

Last edited:
Nice Tim but from rumor to on the shelf knowing Sony could be a long long wait ;)
It says 2024, so maybe? I thought of you and your thread asking about travel lenses. If this turns out to be a good lens (assuming it comes true) this would be a very nice all-in-one.

It says 2024, so maybe? I thought of you and your thread asking about travel lenses. If this turns out to be a good lens (assuming it comes true) this would be a very nice all-in-one.
Ok so possible then

Going by Sony's latest stuff I'd expect this to be crazily compact and well less than 700gm!

The recent trend of making lightness a focus (no-pun intended) of their lens revisions is refreshing. This super-zoom will sell very well for all full-frame users and [if light/compact enough] maybe a handful of APSC users who plan to upgrade to FF in the future.

I wouldn't expect anything extraordinary in size/weight unless it's a GM. They're going to do the same thing they do every time, the best is reserved for the higher dollar gear. The question is if they can get the IQ high enough on a superzoom to give it the GM designation.

I expect this to sell in the $1500 range unless it's a GM, then it'll be $2500.

The recent trend of making lightness a focus (no-pun intended) of their lens revisions is refreshing. This super-zoom will sell very well for all full-frame users and [if light/compact enough] maybe a handful of APSC users who plan to upgrade to FF in the future.

I feel obliged to point out that "all full-frame users" is a serious exaggeration. I certainly won't buy one, and I'm definitely a full-frame user :)

That said, I'm glad you are excited for a new lens. You may be even more excited than I am about the impending 300mm GM. I'm certain that this lens will be far less expensive, too!

I guess one of the best things about ILCs is that we can all use different lenses - there are certainly plenty to choose from!

I wouldn't expect anything extraordinary in size/weight unless it's a GM. They're going to do the same thing they do every time, the best is reserved for the higher dollar gear. The question is if they can get the IQ high enough on a superzoom to give it the GM designation.

I expect this to sell in the $1500 range unless it's a GM, then it'll be $2500.

I'd say it will be just FE. I'd doubt they'd risk the GM label or even the G (seeming that a lot are GM quality) on a lens that is physically impossible to not have some type of reasonable flaw. I'd imagine they will get the sharpness pretty close though, although with huge distortion, maybe they'll label it a G...

I'd say it will be just FE. I'd doubt they'd risk the GM label or even the G (seeming that a lot are GM quality) on a lens that is physically impossible to not have some type of reasonable flaw. I'd imagine they will get the sharpness pretty close though, although with huge distortion, maybe they'll label it a G...
They can get it to G easily. I expect it to be a G lens.

I feel obliged to point out that "all full-frame users" is a serious exaggeration. I certainly won't buy one, and I'm definitely a full-frame user :)

That said, I'm glad you are excited for a new lens. You may be even more excited than I am about the impending 300mm GM. I'm certain that this lens will be far less expensive, too!

I guess one of the best things about ILCs is that we can all use different lenses - there are certainly plenty to choose from!
Haha fair point, pardon my exaggeration. I meant to say it would be of interest to most/many full-frame users, but I'd still be wrong wouldn't I? You're right, there's a lens for everyone, plenty of options to choose from.

Going by Sony's latest stuff I'd expect this to be crazily compact and well less than 700gm!
I first read this as "well less than 700gm (as in a 700mm GM lens in terms of price)!" and thought "well damn I hope so!"
I think except for a kit lens Sony is done with non-G/GM lens. They keep upping their ownership of Tamron which suggests that they will let them and other 3rd party take the lower end of the market.

I first read this as "well less than 700gm (as in a 700mm GM lens in terms of price)!" and thought "well damn I hope so!"

I think except for a kit lens Sony is done with non-G/GM lens. They keep upping their ownership of Tamron which suggests that they will let them and other 3rd party take the lower end of the market.

I had not thought of that. Interesting idea. I almost want it to be true, because I really like G and GM lenses, and if Sony concentrates on them, some of the ones I want may come sooner. But will it discourage people from starting out with Sony if there’s a big gap from kit lens to G?

I can't stop thinking about this lens. I'm planning to buy one already, and it's not even sure they'll make it! :ROFLMAO:

Back