Sony Wish List

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

DrJohn

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Apr 7, 2022
Name
Dr. John A. Allocca
Country
United States
City/State
Northport, NY
I wish Sony would come out with a 24-240 mm or 28-200 mm G master lens.

John

AlphaWorld

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Apr 8, 2021
Name
Tony
I really don't think it will happen. The G Master series are high quality lenses with optically superior designs which are intended to provide excellent image quality even on higher resolution cameras of the future.

Any super-zoom is a bundle of compromises to be able to support a very wide zoom range. It doesn't fall inside the GM limits.

I haven't checked, but I suspect the longest zoom range we'll see in GM is x3 (like 24-70, 70-200). A G lens can be a bit further (like the 24-105 G).

Reciprocum

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Jan 9, 2021
Name
Afonso Santos
Country
Portugal
I really don't think it will happen. The G Master series are high quality lenses with optically superior designs which are intended to provide excellent image quality even on higher resolution cameras of the future.

Any super-zoom is a bundle of compromises to be able to support a very wide zoom range. It doesn't fall inside the GM limits.

I haven't checked, but I suspect the longest zoom range we'll see in GM is x3 (like 24-70, 70-200). A G lens can be a bit further (like the 24-105 G).
Then there is still hope for a 200-600 GM f4.5-5.6

AZHeaven

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Oct 29, 2021
Name
Jeff Logan
Right now the Tamron 28-200 is getting great reviews. And is a good option as an all around travel lens.

Reactions: MrFotoFool

MrFotoFool

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Apr 18, 2022
Name
Fred Hood
Country
United States
City/State
Arizona
Then there is still hope for a 200-600 GM f4.5-5.6
I doubt it. The current 200-600 (the only Sony lens I own) is so sharp that I don't think there is a need for an improved version. Also, the current version is fairly large and heavy. To make the aperture even a bit larger, as you suggest, I think would make the lens too heavy (and expensive).

DrJohn

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Apr 7, 2022
Name
Dr. John A. Allocca
Country
United States
City/State
Northport, NY
Right now the Tamron 28-200 is getting great reviews. And is a good option as an all around travel lens.
I have that lens. It is just ok. Certainly not a G or G master quality and no IS.
John

Reciprocum

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Jan 9, 2021
Name
Afonso Santos
Country
Portugal
I doubt it. The current 200-600 (the only Sony lens I own) is so sharp that I don't think there is a need for an improved version. Also, the current version is fairly large and heavy. To make the aperture even a bit larger, as you suggest, I think would make the lens too heavy (and expensive).
I also own (and use extensively) the current 200-600. Would still upgrade to a 200-600 GM if it is slightly faster and no more than 1/2 price of the 600 f4 GM. But a 300mm f2.8 GM FE is still number 1 in my wish-list.

Reactions: DrJohn

Clix Pix

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Country
United States
City/State
Northern Virginia Suburbs of Washington, DC
Buy a Sony RX10 IV with its range of 24mm-600mm (35mm equiv on a 1" sensor) and remarkable Zeiss lens if you want a travel camera with an extensive zoom range. You are not going to get that in a FE GM lens. I think the 70-200mm GM II is about the extent of what they will offer, with a 24-70mm GM II as its accompaniment. The latest version of the "holy trinity" could be: 12-24mm GM, 24-70mm II GM, 70-200mm II GM.

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.