Followers
Following
Name
Dr. John A. Allocca
Country
United States
City/State
Northport, NY
I wish Sony would come out with a 24-240 mm or 28-200 mm G master lens.

John

I really don't think it will happen. The G Master series are high quality lenses with optically superior designs which are intended to provide excellent image quality even on higher resolution cameras of the future.

Any super-zoom is a bundle of compromises to be able to support a very wide zoom range. It doesn't fall inside the GM limits.

I haven't checked, but I suspect the longest zoom range we'll see in GM is x3 (like 24-70, 70-200). A G lens can be a bit further (like the 24-105 G).

I really don't think it will happen. The G Master series are high quality lenses with optically superior designs which are intended to provide excellent image quality even on higher resolution cameras of the future.

Any super-zoom is a bundle of compromises to be able to support a very wide zoom range. It doesn't fall inside the GM limits.

I haven't checked, but I suspect the longest zoom range we'll see in GM is x3 (like 24-70, 70-200). A G lens can be a bit further (like the 24-105 G).
Then there is still hope for a 200-600 GM f4.5-5.6

Right now the Tamron 28-200 is getting great reviews. And is a good option as an all around travel lens.

Then there is still hope for a 200-600 GM f4.5-5.6
I doubt it. The current 200-600 (the only Sony lens I own) is so sharp that I don't think there is a need for an improved version. Also, the current version is fairly large and heavy. To make the aperture even a bit larger, as you suggest, I think would make the lens too heavy (and expensive).

Right now the Tamron 28-200 is getting great reviews. And is a good option as an all around travel lens.
I have that lens. It is just ok. Certainly not a G or G master quality and no IS.
John

I doubt it. The current 200-600 (the only Sony lens I own) is so sharp that I don't think there is a need for an improved version. Also, the current version is fairly large and heavy. To make the aperture even a bit larger, as you suggest, I think would make the lens too heavy (and expensive).
I also own (and use extensively) the current 200-600. Would still upgrade to a 200-600 GM if it is slightly faster and no more than 1/2 price of the 600 f4 GM. But a 300mm f2.8 GM FE is still number 1 in my wish-list.

Buy a Sony RX10 IV with its range of 24mm-600mm (35mm equiv on a 1" sensor) and remarkable Zeiss lens if you want a travel camera with an extensive zoom range. You are not going to get that in a FE GM lens. I think the 70-200mm GM II is about the extent of what they will offer, with a 24-70mm GM II as its accompaniment. The latest version of the "holy trinity" could be: 12-24mm GM, 24-70mm II GM, 70-200mm II GM.

Back