Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Southern Hawker with 100-400 and A7RIII

gfcphotography

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
George
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Heanor
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Started my Sony journey (from Canon) with the A7III but then got a great deal on a used A9 and A7RIII. Starting to love the A7RIII for the extra detail and it is becoming my favourite camera! This taken today locally and I believe it is a Southern Hawker. Hope I have got the image size right for this forum!

Southern Hawker.jpg

Last edited:
Also a dragonfly in flight (not sure on species yet)
Southern Hawker in Flight.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Kevriano - suspected it might be so thanks for confirming. Was amazed to get the shot!

Thank you Kevriano - suspected it might be so thanks for confirming. Was amazed to get the shot!

I like Migrant Hawkers, one of the few species that hover long enough to get a flight shot. Southern Migrants are another (see my post in the 200 600 thread if you're interested).

Also forgot to add this damselfly - confusingly these seem to be variable colours making ID difficult - give me a butterfly any day to ID!!
Damselfly.jpg

Also forgot to add this damselfly - confusingly these seem to be variable colours making ID difficult - give me a butterfly any day to ID!!View attachment 1898

Scarce Emerald. One of my favourites. Where was this taken? They are highly localised and specific to certain types of ditch.

Well that's odd - taken in Derbyshire at a place called Straws Bridge and specifically at the edge of a lake called Manor Flood. BDS say they are only found in Kent, Essex and some parts of East Anglia?

Last edited:
Well that's odd - taken in Derbyshire at a place called Straws Bridge and specifically at the edge of a lake called Manor Flood. BDS say they are only found in Kent, Essex and some parts of East Anglia?

Correct, until now it seems. They have spread out, but they are inhabitants of boggy ditches, and are a species that will survive in places where others don't. I travel to Essex for them each year. To see one from so far North is very interesting and worth contacting BDS about.

Thanks Kevriano - will pass the sighting on to them. Went back today but couldn't find it again! Will try again though and get some more pictures hopefully. In the meantime here is another dragonfly - Migrant Hawker I think?
Migrant Hawker 3.jpg

And one more - probably my favourite shot of today! And I love the 200-600 - this is with a clear filter on!
Migrant Hawker 4 2.jpg

Looking at the last picture a tad over sharpened I think!

Looking at the last picture a tad over sharpened I think!

A little, yeah, but yes, Migrant Hawker. Re the Scarce Emerald. it may be an Emerald, not a Scarce, however, that's still unusual, and also, late!

New in Marketplace

Back