Country
United States
City/State
Petaluma CA
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Hey everyone,

Bill Cunningham:New York
When I retired from the service, I had my GI Bill still available and went to the Academy of Art in SF where I got a BFA in Documentary Photography. I just came across a documentary called Bill Cunningham: New York, on Prime and Max if you wanna catch it. He worked for the NY Times and did a lot of street/fashion photography. For the most part he was truly embraced by those on the street along w high society of NYC. It's a fascinating doc.

For my senior project at AAU I "followed" a hooker and her pimp in the Bay Area/Oakland for a year, highlighting mainly her life, the pimp was simple as dirt. It was a crazy year. W AAU being more a "fashion" school, my project was not picked up for gallery showing. (Jerks :).

I wish in today's world, street/documentary work was more accepted with a place to showcase the work, but there's no way in today's environment, I'm gonna try taking images on the street anymore.

why not? I still love doing some street stuff here and there, maybe not as carelessly as in the past but still can be a great subject.
Quite honestly, because I value my life and equipment.

The challenge is finding somewhere to live and visit that is less like a game of Grand Theft Auto.

The challenge is finding somewhere to live and visit that is less like a game of Grand Theft Auto.
LOL you ain't lying' brother!

It has become difficult for them to hide it, yes.

Last edited:
I have never had any street photography event where i felt like my life was at risk, and as far as my equipment I have had my cameras stolen twice once in the parking lot of the Madrid airport and once in the middle of nowhere Queensland, Australia rainforest from my rental car in a trailhead parking lot. The interesting note on that parking lot was there were no other vehicles in the lot. There was one other theft but with that one it was only film no equipment in my stolen pack from an outdoor cafe in Rome.

I have never had any street photography event where i felt like my life was at risk, and as far as my equipment I have had my cameras stolen twice once in the parking lot of the Madrid airport and once in the middle of nowhere Queensland, Australia rainforest from my rental car in a trailhead parking lot. The interesting note on that parking lot was there were no other vehicles in the lot. There was one other theft but with that one it was only film no equipment in my stolen pack from an outdoor cafe in Rome.

There’s a saying here in COOGEE Beach something like this….
If you leave your shovel outside on the beach overnight, it will rust. If you leave it outside in far North Queensland, it will get stolen.

The Spanish and Italian thieves moved to FNQ? (just artichoking/having a giraffe)

Back