Name
ST
Country
Canada
City/State
British Columbia
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Here are a couple of my favourite places, both shots taken this morning. These super-wide landscapes seem way out of proportion to me, but they are the only way I can capture the view from these vantage points. There is no room to back up farther because there are bodies of water behind me.
A7409605_Panorama.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II (SEL70200GM2)
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 100

The second shot was taken from a spot near the far left of the photo above and that explains the difference in the colour of the sky.
A7409616_Panorama.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 500

How many shots did you stitch together for that first one?

Only real issue with large wide panos is that the really large ones can't be shared on most sites.

Only real issue with large wide panos is that the really large ones can't be shared on most sites.
Yes. Not big enough to view properly anyway. I have a 12 vertical shot panorama of the upper reaches of the Snowy River (taken with my Sony RX100Miii) in my gallery if any of you want to have a look.

How many shots did you stitch together for that first one?
Hi, Chris,
Thanks for asking.

Twenty-three for the first one and ten for the second, handheld in portrait orientation with lots of overlap. I have plenty of practice with the 70-200 for stitched shots, so I can keep things steady and level when doing a quick series.

Even with the FE PZ 16-35 MM F4 G (field of view 107 degrees), I probably would have used at least three or four shots.

Sometimes, I'll do two rows if there's something interesting in the foreground or the sky, but not today.

In case you're wondering, I'm using Capture One Pro for editing (including stitching panoramas).

Last edited:
In case you're wondering, I'm using Capture One Pro for editing.
So you’re stitching them together in Capture one?

Yes. Not big enough to view properly anyway. I have a 12 vertical shot panorama of the upper reaches of the Snowy River (taken with my Sony RX100Miii) in my gallery if any of you want to have a look.
I have a few that 20+ with sizes that are >50,000 x >8,000 pixels. I hope to eventually meet someone that has a need to fill a wall the size of a city block.
So you’re stitching them together in Capture one?
For me Capture One does an ok job (3 out of 10), Photoshop does a slightly better job (4/10) but the best is easily Microsoft's Image Composite Editor (8/10). Sadly MS no longer offers ICE (it was free) but I still have the installer which is available here.

Hi, Chris,
Thanks for asking.

Twenty-three for the first one and ten for the second, handheld in portrait orientation with lots of overlap. I have plenty of practice with the 70-200 for stitched shots, so I can keep things steady and level when doing a quick series.

Even with the FE PZ 16-35 MM F4 G (field of view 107 degrees), I probably would have used at least three or four shots.

Sometimes, I'll do two rows if there's something interesting in the foreground or the sky, but not today.

In case you're wondering, I'm using Capture One Pro for editing.
Thanks for sharing ST, it looks so seamless I would never have guessed you used so many shots. I will have to try doing more overlap next time I do a pano myself.
ON1 does a decent job of pano-stitching, but sometimes its unavoidable to introduce some distortion.

I had a look at PTGui after seeing this thread but it’s pretty expensive if you’re not going to use it a lot. I find Photoshop does a pretty good job most of the time.

Revisiting the scene of the first photo
Here are a couple of my favourite places, both shots taken this morning. These super-wide landscapes seem way out of proportion to me, but they are the only way I can capture the view from these vantage points. There is no room to back up farther because there are bodies of water behind me.
View attachment 61494
A week ago.
A7409605_Panorama.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 100

Today, the tide was low, the basin was nearly empty, and it was lighter in the sky.
A7400756_Panorama.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 100

Last edited:
A7402141_Panorama.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • Sony FE PZ 16-35mm F4 G (SELP1635G)
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 100