Suppressing shutter sound on A1

Astacus

Followers
Following
Name
Robert Beynon
I mostly use electronic shutter, but if I switch the sound off, the visual feedback is inadequate, and I have little sense of the number of frames I am shooting. Although t'web suggests otherwise, So, I leave the sound on, and boy it is loud (wrt wildlife, hides etc). I cannot reduce the sound electronically (unless someone here can show me how) but somewhere else (DPREVIEW?) somebody suggested covering the speaker hole with sticky tape.

This is my solution. I bought some of those self adhesive bumpers that are used to stop cupboard doors banging shut, and stuck one of those over the speaker holes.

And, for me, this works. It is still audible to me, holding the camera, but is substantially attenuated. It isn't pretty, but I could always colour it in with a sharpie!

Would still prefer a software solution. Sony?

D91341E8-D4FF-480B-AEA3-50C0598DEF05.jpeg
  • iPhone 13 Pro
  • iPhone 13 Pro back triple camera 5.7mm f/1.5
  • 5.7 mm
  • ƒ/1.5
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 500

I mostly use electronic shutter, but if I switch the sound off, the visual feedback is inadequate, and I have little sense of the number of frames I am shooting. Although t'web suggests otherwise, So, I leave the sound on, and boy it is loud (wrt wildlife, hides etc). I cannot reduce the sound electronically (unless someone here can show me how) but somewhere else (DPREVIEW?) somebody suggested covering the speaker hole with sticky tape.

This is my solution. I bought some of those self adhesive bumpers that are used to stop cupboard doors banging shut, and stuck one of those over the speaker holes.

And, for me, this works. It is still audible to me, holding the camera, but is substantially attenuated. It isn't pretty, but I could always colour it in with a sharpie!

View attachment 35899
I have the same issue.. with no sound on in electronic shutter I ended up taking over 600 shots in the blink of an eye…
So I will try your solution..

I have grown accustomed to keeping an eye on the "shots remaining" count in the EVF - it blinks when you are shooting, and if you shoot a burst you see a moving bar as it writes the burst to the card.

I tried the noise in the studio once when working with a model who hated the silent shutter, and I didn't like it. But then, I don't like the beep on the strobes when they re-charge, and the beep from the camera when it achieves focus - I'm not an audible feedback person, I guess :unsure:

View attachment 35899
A volume switch would be handy.

Never had the problem where the sound of the E.S. causes an issue. Too many years of shooting with mechanical shutters I guess. I think we're getting a bit spoiled!
Got to give them a sporting chance!

Never had the problem where the sound of the E.S. causes an issue. Too many years of shooting with mechanical shutters I guess. I think we're getting a bit spoiled!
Got to give them a sporting chance!
Never had a problem with the sound of the e-shutter (cos it’s silent!) - yeah yeah, I know I’m pedantic :D Don’t like the surrogate noise, so I have it turned off.

After getting the A7RV, I had to readjust to the sound of the mechanical shutter again - considering I once owned a 1D mark IV, whose shutter was described as, um, “authoritative“ (yeah, LOUD!), that surprised me.

Yes, we are spoiled, but I like it!

I'm not an audible feedback person, I guess
I 2nd this. I get annoyed now when I am out with others and I hear the clacking of their shutters or the beeping of focus and shutters.

Beeping I would never have on, but shutters are much quieter than they used to be and I've never had a problem disturbing wildlife even in a hide! Birds get used to noise in and around hides.

Update.. birding trip confirmed that the shutter is now faintly audible to me only. I’m happy.

Beeping I would never have on, but shutters are much quieter than they used to be and I've never had a problem disturbing wildlife even in a hide! Birds get used to noise in and around hides.
I once went on safari where a friend was shooting video. The soundtrack was littered with the clack of my Nikon shutter! Oops!

Back