Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Tamron 17-50mm f4..!

• Thread starter Deleted Member 5045
  • Start date

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Love the range and thought about it, but the f/4 puts me off for my use. Will stick with the 17-28/2.8 for now.

Definitely a pretty interesting range.

Makes me wonder what could be coming down the track. A 14-something f4 maybe...

Looks like its mostly internal zoom too. Video/gimbal users would like that... not that it makes a difference to you or Tim :LOL:

Looks like its mostly internal zoom too. Video/gimbal users would like that... not that it makes a difference to you or Tim :LOL:

As is my PZ. In all honesty, that super wide angle lens is the one going in waterfalls and stuff and it is a nice addition to have internal zoom on them in my opinion. That was another attribute I loved over my 16-35mm GM, especially with the 16mm side being the extended side on the GM's...

Not that I would necessarily be concerned with the sealing of an externally zooming lens especially Sony, Tamron or Sigma. But I've always believed that the best way to solve a problem is to eliminate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would see it as competing with Sony 16-35 f/4 PZ Too. Only 1mm narrower on wide but getting to 50mm would be handy. The Tamron may weigh more though I guess, where the 16-35 is a great lightweight for carrying around.

Would see it as competing with Sony 16-35 f/4 PZ Too. Only 1mm narrower on wide but getting to 50mm would be handy. The Tamron may weigh more though I guess, where the 16-35 is a great lightweight for carrying around.

Very true although it would be pretty phenomenal if the IQ was close. I've found the cheaper Tamrons to be relatively close in terms of sharpness but fall far behind in flaring and CA...

Yeh I’m thinking about abandoning my Tamron and Sigma and investing in GM lenses. It’s all trade-offs — quality, cost, weight!

Yeh I’m thinking about abandoning my Tamron and Sigma and investing in GM lenses. It’s all trade-offs — quality, cost, weight!

I'm G and GM but absolutely no regrets with it. I now have a four lens and one teleconverter do it all for my needs kit. It's really awesome knowing all the capabilities I have with me at all times, especially with it being so light!

Interesting walkaround range for landscape and street. F4 isn't really an issue, is it? You never shoot at 2.8

Interesting walkaround range for landscape and street. F4 isn't really an issue, is it? You never shoot at 2.8

Personally I'd rather the 20-70mm Sony for street, but I'd rather this Tamron's range for landscape. On the street I'd give up a bit on the wide to have a touch of telephoto, but landscape you can never really have too wide, the amount of times I'm in a waterfall and want wider so I'd be happy to give up a bit on the long end in that scenario.

Either way, both can do a fantastic job in both situations.

Agreed.17 is very wide. I used to have the Sigma 10-20 3.5 on my Pentax APSC. The biggest problem was that the foreground stuff is still too far out of shot.

Agreed.17 is very wide. I used to have the Sigma 10-20 3.5 on my Pentax APSC. The biggest problem was that the foreground stuff is still too far out of shot.

Just got to get the foreground material nearly touching the lens hood... ✅

Just got to get the foreground material nearly touching the lens hood... ✅
That would have involved getting wet feet a lot of times, and who are you to say touch the hood!

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Deleted Member 5045, If this reply answers your question please make sure to mark the reply as the solution by clicking on the    icon next to the appropriate reply.

New in Marketplace

Back