Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
The new Tamron 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di III-A VC VXD lens for Sony APS-C E-mount cameras is now available to pre-order in the US for $699.00, other countries should follow shortly. First shipping will begin on September 24th 2021.

If I had $699.00 burning a hole in my pocket then I could be tempted, but I'd also need a few holidays booked first!

I am considering selling my drone to put towards the purchase of this lens.
The Sony 18-135 is my favorite travel lens but sometimes you want a bit more reach.
The Tamron 17-70 is a bit heavy to travel with, the range is limited, and f2.8 isn't as useful in daytime vacation pictures.
The biggest deciding factor for many APSC owners is: Sony 70-350 vs Tamron 18-300.

• Admin
Similar weight with the Sony 70-350 weighing 625 g / 1.37 lb and the Tamron 18-300 620 g / 1.36 lb. I have the 70-350 and like it very much, I often use it on my a7R IV as well. But 70mm probably wouldn't be wide enough for a lot of holiday snaps if I just wanted to pack the one lens.

Similar weight with the Sony 70-350 weighing 625 g / 1.37 lb and the Tamron 18-300 620 g / 1.36 lb. I have the 70-350 and like it very much, I often use it on my a7R IV as well. But 70mm probably wouldn't be wide enough for a lot of holiday snaps if I just wanted to pack the one lens.
Similar thought pattern here.
I don't ever do bird photography, so I think the Tammy edges the Sony out in the usefulness category for me, but it is even 100grams more than the 17-70, so its still a monster lens. More thought required. Plus I told the wife that the 17-70 was my last large photography expense for the year... silly me.

I am considering selling my drone to put towards the purchase of this lens.
The Sony 18-135 is my favorite travel lens but sometimes you want a bit more reach.
The Tamron 17-70 is a bit heavy to travel with, the range is limited, and f2.8 isn't as useful in daytime vacation pictures.
The biggest deciding factor for many APSC owners is: Sony 70-350 vs Tamron 18-300.
I LOVED my Sony 70-350 when I was shooting with my a6100. I still have my a6100 and a few APS-C lenses, but I sold the 70-350 already. I haven't found a lens for my full frame that I loved as much as that lens. Probably because I can't afford Sony glass for full frame.

I LOVED my Sony 70-350 when I was shooting with my a6100. I still have my a6100 and a few APS-C lenses, but I sold the 70-350 already. I haven't found a lens for my full frame that I loved as much as that lens. Probably because I can't afford Sony glass for full frame.
That is some good praise for the Sony lens.
BTW, just by focal range the Sigma 100-400 is probably a good bet for you on the full frame, plus its got optical stabilization.

I actually have the Sigma 100-400 I like but but not like I did the 70-350 on my a6100. So I must confess part of the reason I fell in love with it was because of my interest in macro. I would use my Raynox on the 70-350 to shoot macro, then take the Raynox off if I saw something interesting in the distance. The simplicity was awesome and the size and weight. I don't regret going full frame, but I do miss that lens.

Similar thought pattern here.
I don't ever do bird photography, so I think the Tammy edges the Sony out in the usefulness category for me, but it is even 100grams more than the 17-70, so its still a monster lens. More thought required. Plus I told the wife that the 17-70 was my last large photography expense for the year... silly me.
Chris, in my experience it is never a good idea to make such rash promises to our loved ones!!
I usually preface such purchases with “Once I get this I’ll be right for a good while” whilst never defining what a good while is. Also find that throwing in the odd part exchange helps with the persuasion. If all else fails my regular camera shop are very helpful in delaying delivery by a day or so to ensure SWMBO is at work when the item arrives.
Turning to this new Tamron lens I won’t be looking to get one as I already have the Sony 70-350 alongside the Tamron 17-70 and 11-20 so these 3 lenses give me a huge focal range which is plenty for me.
Only regret I have is letting my Sigma 30mm 1.4 go as part of the deal when I bought the 11-20. Will probably look to replace it for indoor portraits later in the year.

Chris, in my experience it is never a good idea to make such rash promises to our loved ones!!
I usually preface such purchases with “Once I get this I’ll be right for a good while” whilst never defining what a good while is. Also find that throwing in the odd part exchange helps with the persuasion. If all else fails my regular camera shop are very helpful in delaying delivery by a day or so to ensure SWMBO is at work when the item arrives.
Turning to this new Tamron lens I won’t be looking to get one as I already have the Sony 70-350 alongside the Tamron 17-70 and 11-20 so these 3 lenses give me a huge focal range which is plenty for me.
Only regret I have is letting my Sigma 30mm 1.4 go as part of the deal when I bought the 11-20. Will probably look to replace it for indoor portraits later in the year.
Haha, well said Rob.
I have the 10-135mm range covered with Sony glass, but the 17-70 has been good to me so far. How do you like that 11-20?

The new Tamron 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Di III-A VC VXD lens for Sony APS-C E-mount cameras is now available to pre-order in the US for $699.00, other countries should follow shortly. First shipping will begin on September 24th 2021.

If I had $699.00 burning a hole in my pocket then I could be tempted, but I'd also need a few holidays booked first!
Looking forward to the reviews on this lens for A6600. i need a travel lens that does it all. Made the switch to mirrorless and because i had the original Nex 6 decided to stick with Sony. Sold my Nikon and Nikkor lenses to help purchase the Sony 10-18mm, Sony 16-55 F2.8 (very disappointed w barrel distortion at 16mm) and the Sony 70-350mm (love ,love this lens for wildlife). i would probably have to carry the ultra wide angle and one other lens, but i don't want to carry three.

If I was still a crop sensor shooter, I would buy this!

Been watching Rumpole? "Lovely day." ;o)

To think we have a step on SWMBO is self delusion. She outlasts us. And they will gather together, three and four generations of women. to laugh, talk and have a good time when we are but pictures up on the mantle, having served our purpose and passed beyond.

Last edited:
Thanks for that sobering reminder!
The only consolation I can think of is that my wife plans to continue working for the next 3/4 years so I still have some time to continue buying bits and pieces and disposing of the evidence which usually takes the form of cardboard packaging marked fragile.

Back