The young guns at play!šŸ˜

Tim Driman

Followers
Following
As a wildlife photographer I often get asked how I manage to capture the kind of opportune images, that I do...

Firstly, I have to say that knowing your equipment intimately, and being able to change settings, on the fly, while looking through the viewfinder is essential. This is achieved through practice, practice and more practice until it becomes a natural instinct!

Another extremely important thing is to place yourself at the action. By that, I mean researching the target species, or area well, and then spending time out there in the field, which can mean discomfort, and sometimes other hardships, and waking up before dawn, and waiting in the late afternoons until it's dark to make the most of those "golden hours of sunrise and sunset. Most of those amazing shots never came easily... They took hours of preparation, and patience, in the understanding that a great result would be well worth the pain!

You have to spend time and have great patience, and wait until those magical moments occur, and then be ready, to capture those moments....

It goes without saying that to capture frozen action, you need fast shutter speeds, the right aperture (To get the subjects all pin sharp), shoot multiple frame bursts, and not be shy to shoot a lot.

If you don't know the area, or much about the subject matter, go with an experienced guide...

Above all, never take yourself seriously. Go out there, and have fun!

If you get grumpy because you missed a shot, is totally unacceptable, and a lost opportunity to learn from your mistakes........,Ask other successful photographers how they do things... Only a few "grumps" will refuse to share information!

Shoot a lot, because it costs nothing...You just delete the "not-so-great" stuff and keep the good ones ...:p

Attachments

• _DSC2116.jpg
    _DSC2116.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 60
  • _DSC2137.jpg
    _DSC2137.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 58
i've honestly never run across another photographer that was unwilling to discuss how they are doing/what they are doing when we are shooting in the same area. that said, a lot of people see the big lens on my camera and assume i know what i'm doing and i can assure you that i do not. :D :D

i've honestly never run across another photographer that was unwilling to discuss how they are doing/what they are doing when we are shooting in the same area. that said, a lot of people see the big lens on my camera and assume i know what i'm doing and i can assure you that i do not. :D :D
I suffer from the 'assumption' too. Trouble is I pretend to know what I'm talking about!

Nice shots an sentiments. Not only knowing your equipment but know what you are doing :)

Back