This is interesting. Sony sensor strategy and forecast: Focus on bigger size sensor and market share of 60% by 2025

Brownie

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
You'll have to click the link for this one. There's a lot of info in there. It's looking like Sony's main thrust will be 'large' and cellphone/automotiive sensors.

This is more news than rumor.

What does it mean for APS-C users? Buy a 6700 because it will be the last one for a long time (maybe forever)? Sell your APS-C stuff while it has value and move to FF? Dump Sony altogether and try Fuji or another company heavily invested in APS-C? Drink a lot of whiskey and hope for the best?

You'll have to click the link for this one. There's a lot of info in there. It's looking like Sony's main thrust will be 'large' and cellphone/automotiive sensors.

This is more news than rumor.

What does it mean for APS-C users? Buy a 6700 because it will be the last one for a long time (maybe forever)? Sell your APS-C stuff while it has value and move to FF? Dump Sony altogether and try Fuji or another company heavily invested in APS-C? Drink a lot of whiskey and hope for the best?

So the a6700 may be SONY APSC's swan song eh? Maybe so for a halfway-serious photographer, but I think Sony is gonna wring the most life they can out of their APSC sensors for "vlogging" cameras (or "content creators") for another 5-10 yrs, unless YouTube goes out of business first LOL.

On a serious note though, the gap between smartphones and APSC is narrowing, and the gap between smartphones and type-1 sensors (formerly known as "1-inch sensors") is even thinner. In a few years, will the beginner photographer even want less than entry-level full frame performance?

An interesting counterpoint to this argument is Fuji who use APSC format VERY effectively instead of full frame, and then jump straight to medium format.

Bear in mind too, this is about Sony's 'sensor' focus, not cameras. They sell to so many places it's tough to nail down exactly what their plans are with regard to cameras. I thought the mention of cellphone and automotive significant.

Bear in mind too, this is about Sony's 'sensor' focus, not cameras. They sell to so many places it's tough to nail down exactly what their plans are with regard to cameras. I thought the mention of cellphone and automotive significant.
Cellphones makes sense: Sony's been trying to gain market share there for a long time, but having trouble against the big boys Apple & Samsung (well at least here in USA).
Automotive is interesting and unexpected. I wonder if that's for back-up cameras and 360 degree cameras that some cars now have (really multiple cameras stitched together for a 360 feed in dash). I've never used the latter, but I have seen it in my neighbor's F150.

Defect to another brand, and drink whiskey

Cellphones makes sense: Sony's been trying to gain market share there for a long time, but having trouble against the big boys Apple & Samsung (well at least here in USA).
Apple uses Sony sensors. Samsung in a past used some and may still for some of the lower end models as they ramp up their sensor design and production. As of 2021 Sony was down to 45% of the total phone sensor market share with Samsung 2nd at 29%.

I think just calling this market "camera phone" is kind of wrong since the same type of sensor would be used in cars, doorbells, VR gear, tablets and however many more small devices have cameras these days.

Back