Time for something different, b&w

agfa100

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
bill barton
When I started with photography it was all just b&w and darkroom work back in 1968, now 55 years later I have to say it is still for me 75% b&w. I do jpg and raw but set the camera to display the Image in b&w. I just see the world that way with photography, I have just picked up a used A-9 and I really like the results this camera puts out in jpg in both b&w and color. Are there any other crazy old coots out their like myself, that still see the world in tones instead of colors? Now in film I was a Leica M shooter so that maybe just a hold over from that. Any other words of wisdom???

That’s the era, also, wherein I received my first photography education. Then, we were told that we needed to “see” light. The only way to do that was to envision the tonality of a scene. (We also had to be able to give the correct exposure setting of a scene within 1 and 1-1/2stops)

Even today I still evaluate a naturally lit scene before me in its tonal range although I rely on meters to set the camera. However, outputting a photograph in B&W — or in any other monochrome — only occurs to me as part of post processing. I have fully embraced the world of color.

Oh, I love shadows. It’s an Aussie thing bcause the light is so strong here. My pre-Christmas trip to Europe helped me experience a world where shadow was absent. Fascinating, difficult, soothing.

Back