Trading up from APSC: thinking out loud

Clint, Alex, Kev, Thanks for the additional insight.
What I like about the gear I have now is, I can try a little of every genre and satisfy my curiosity. Well, except wildlife, so the Sony 70-350mm is still tempting me! You see, I cannot seem to learn my lesson šŸ˜…

Jokes aside, maybe full frame is not something I move on to until I am ready to put my money where my mouth is. When I can drop a couple thousand dollars and not agonize over it, I will be ready for that move.

That's the thing, would someone be able to buy an A7CII with a Tamron 28-200mm and be happy with that alone? Of course, but people like us don't fall into that category... šŸ˜„

There is no doubt that I was/am a long way from outgrowing my a6500. Another route to simply enjoy more bells and whistles might have been the a6700: I had long been set on the mythical "a7000" whenever it eventually got issued.

There are a6700 features I'm not keen on. There are a7iv features I am keen on. Sony have not even released a6700 in this country yet: in fact they are talking about a7c/a7Rc as coming soon. There was money in the bank... My wife was away...

(And I do like my new toy a lot šŸ„° )

I don't really agree with a hobbyist 'outgrowing' a camera unless it's just super old. Buying new gear is simply just a matter of want and if you love it then why not buy it. Professional's yes, why not have the best equipment possible to make your job easier. Either way, why not..! āœ…ļø

Your wife should go away more... šŸ˜„

I agree with this. The thing which always puzzles me is when someone announces that they're switching to Sony and then they buy a Sony body and stick third-party lenses on it rather than actual, genuine Sony lenses. Sure, the third-party ones may be less expensive, but.....why bother buying Sony or any other brand if one is simply to slap third-party lenses on the body anyway? Sony has developed a system of camera bodies and lenses, a system where everything is meant to work together. Why buy into the system if one isn't even going to actually utilize it, take advantage of its specific unique characteristics, its ability to work well with the lenses designed to work with its bodies? Why ignore the system's true value that is inherent in its synchronicity, its carefully developed bodies and lenses?

I only have Sony lenses because their size and workman type build really appeals to me, and being relatively OCD I like uniformity too. I would have no issue owning Tamron, Sigma or Samyang if it wasn't for this. Let's remember that Sony release their algorithms to these companies, and Tamron pretty much actually is Sony. I think if someone wants to save a few dollars then they definitely aren't falling short in the IQ or connectivity department.

I understand your point and mostly agree because in a lot of ways Sony lenses are the best in my eyes, but that's certainly debatable and I wouldn't object or see a problem with someone only owning third party lenses either.

One of the main reasons I went with full frame over APS-C was our last trip to Italy, I was mostly shooting with Fuji Xt2 APS-C cameras and a Sony RX1rII full frame. I will admit that was very happy with the size of the Fuji outfit, especially the lens size and the images were great. But as we were driving up the hill from one of the small Cinque Terre towns the weather cleared and with smallest of pull outs, stop the car to take an image of the town. My Fujis were packed away and the Rx1rII was next to me so with not much time I shot an image that normally I would have thought this lens was to wide and I was too far away. Well when I got back to our room dumped the card on to my computer, at first glance I thought had been right the image of the town was too small in the frame, but as I blew it up i was amazed at the resolution and detail it retained. It was there that I decided when I got home I was selling the Fuji stuff and buying Sony for my personal work. The only thing I miss about M 4/3 and APS-C is the size of the lenses other wise no regrets. with the switch. Last point i never felt comfortable using any of the M4/3 or APS-C gear for work, that was all Canon or Nikon DSLRs and Hasselblad msdium format digital.

I don't really agree with a hobbyist 'outgrowing' a camera unless it's just super old.
I switched from the A6000 because it was clear that the capabilities of the camera were keeping me from getting the shots. This was right around the release of the A7iii so the A6000 wasn't that old at the time.

Just do like I did.
I switched out my APSC system for micro four thirds. My full frame system can compensate for APSC. But now I have 4:3 and 3:2 full sensor images with two formats. You just need to add a medium format sensor camera to your system. Or if you want to keep only 3:2 sensor format, Leica medium format has you covered.

See? Easy. šŸ¤Ŗ šŸ¤‘ šŸ¤Ŗ šŸ¤‘šŸ¤Ŗ

I switched from the A6000 because it was clear that the capabilities of the camera were keeping me from getting the shots.
My move, a6000 to a6500, made better images easier.

My move, a6000 to a6500, made better images easier.
I've gone from a very short stint with an a6000 to the a6400, and now looking like the a6700. I will finally have IBIS! that alone should be worth the upgrade (similar to when you went from a6000-a6500).

Small update: Santa didn't have the a6700 in stock for me, something about me being on the naughty list??? So I used my Christmas bonus from work and bought it myself. Arrives tomorrow :cool:
Atta' boy Chris! Good for you!

Small update: Santa didn't have the a6700 in stock for me, something about me being on the naughty list??? So I used my Christmas bonus from work and bought it myself. Arrives tomorrow :cool:
WELL???????

I hope Chris' wife hasn't thrashed him to within an inch of his life. I would have expected some images from the new kit by now, and he also said he'd get some lens sample threads going.

Poor Chris... :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
WELL???????

I hope Chris' wife hasn't thrashed him to within an inch of his life. I would have expected some images from the new kit by now, and he also said he'd get some lens sample threads going.

Poor Chris... :ROFLMAO:
Yep he did make some it known he would be posting up some sample images

Sorry guys, I've been under the weather and dealing with a sick toddler. I have a few sample photos and I managed to record my daughter's "performance" at the day care's Christmas show (where we got sick). It was basically a bunch of toddlers shaking tambourines to Christmas music while the teachers try to keep them from wandering off stage LOL! At least I recorded it in 4k 30fps for the grandparents, though I haven't reviewed it on a larger screen yet.

My initial impressions of the camera are positive: while the images don't offer much more resolution or detail over those from my a6400, the whole camera is quicker in every operation and the autofocus is snappy, really impressive! The battery life is greatly improved. The ergonomics are good: bigger grip makes it easy to hold, but my pinky still hangs off. Going to put the PD micro-clutch on it soon.

I think the only downside is having to learn the new menu system, which is coming along, but not entirely intuitive. I've set up my fn menu, dials, and custom buttons for both stills and video, but I need more time to refine.

I'll try to post a dedicated thread soon.

Sorry guys, I've been under the weather and dealing with a sick toddler. I have a few sample photos and I managed to record my daughter's "performance" at the day care's Christmas show (where we got sick). It was basically a bunch of toddlers shaking tambourines to Christmas music while the teachers try to keep them from wandering off stage LOL! At least I recorded it in 4k 30fps for the grandparents, though I haven't reviewed it on a larger screen yet.

My initial impressions of the camera are positive: while the images don't offer much more resolution or detail over those from my a6400, the whole camera is quicker in every operation and the autofocus is snappy, really impressive! The battery life is greatly improved. The ergonomics are good: bigger grip makes it easy to hold, but my pinky still hangs off. Going to put the PD micro-clutch on it soon.

I think the only downside is having to learn the new menu system, which is coming along, but not entirely intuitive. I've set up my fn menu, dials, and custom buttons for both stills and video, but I need more time to refine.

Chris, look at what this fellow is doing with aps-c camera. https://www.iworthphotos.com/

I'd certainly imagine the AF difference would be very noticeable! šŸ”„

Chris, look at what this fellow is doing with aps-c camera. https://www.iworthphotos.com/
Looks like he is an experienced Fuji shooter. I have just now subscribed to his youtube channel; I like the flow and information offered in his videos. He also produces the kind of pictures I aspire to. Thank you for sharing!

Looks like he is an experienced Fuji shooter. I have just now subscribed to his youtube channel; I like the flow and information offered in his videos. He also produces the kind of pictures I aspire to. Thank you for sharing!
He has been using Fujifilm gear for quite some time now.
He also has built his own 4x5 camera.

Back