Traveling to humid and hot place. Need advice

gytamas88

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Tamas Gyarmati
I have a Sony a6400 and primarily use a sigma 16mm 1.4
I'm about to go to south India where it's very hot and humid. I'm very hesitant taking my camera there as I spent a big chunk of my savings on it and don't want to ruin it. Any recommendations what I should do?
In case I take it I got some ziplock bags, indicator silica gel, thermometer with humidity gauge, airtight box, and silicon covers for the HDMI and USB ports to be on the safer side.
If I don't take it than I will have to rely on my phone and I will know my camera is safe... (but why have it if I don't use it for such occasion...)

Hi Welcome to the forum!
I live in south Florida but travel to Jamaica a few times per year. Both are hot and humid, though South India is definitely more so. I travel with my camera and lenses in a peak design 6L sling with some silica packets stuffed inside. The travel kit usually consists of a6400 body, a few lenses (10-18, 17-70), a rode video micro, camera remote, spare batteries, lens cleaning cloth, and some filters (though I rarely use them).

I think you'll be ok, but one thing to note is that if you are staying in a really cold airconditioned hotel room or a car, when you initially step out into the heat and humidity, the lens will fog up, its just physics. The fog will clear in a few minutes, so just expect this kind of acclimatizing delay. Also, try not to change lenses frequently in this environment.

Unless you are planning to take pictures at the beach with kids splashing you with saltwater, I think you'll be just fine.

I live in Texas where it's very hot and humid several months a year. The camera kit can probably handle the heat and humidity better than you can. I would keep a small towel in your kit to wipe the sweat and salt off of your gear. I use equipment bags that breathe to avoid condensation. Don't leave your gear in a hot car. Carry a spare charged battery, extreme temps can effect battery life. I agree with FowlersFreeTime about air conditioned rooms and lens fogging.

Back