Advice on travel documentary set up

Raindog

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
I have the opportunity of travelling to Ghana accompanying a literacy charity. It is likely to be the final trip for the 4 co-founders who are all now in their 80s. I have offered to join them to help, but while I’m there, I suggested I might document the occasion through photo and video. I’m comfortable on the photo side but have very little experience shooting video and was looking for some advice on essential kit that might make the whole process easier and make sure I get decent footage for editing when I return. I was thinking of taking the following:
  • Sony A1
  • Sony A9
  • 100-400 GM
  • 24 GM
  • 90 G
  • 24-105 G (this is the lens I’ve mostly used for video)
  • Variable ND for the 24-105
  • Travel tripod
  • GoPro 10
  • Magic Air 2s drone
  • Sony ECM-XYST1M microphone
  • Air blower for cleaning
I also have 2 x 160gb cf express A cards and 3 x np-fz1000 batteries.

Just looking at this list, my first concerns are storage (including back up for footage) and batteries for the Sony cameras.

We will be in some of the remotest parts of Ghana, so I’m hoping for some incredible dark skies (night timelapse) and that I won’t need permission to use the drone.

Any thoughts would be very welcome. I’m paying my own way on this trip, but it’s an amazing project so I hope to be able to do the charity justice and bring back some great footage for them.

Sounds exciting, but also sounds like you're carrying a lot of gear.
As if that weren't enough gear, I was going to ask if you didn't want to bring a gimbal too LOL!

Sounds exciting, but also sounds like you're carrying a lot of gear.
As if that weren't enough gear, I was going to ask if you didn't want to bring a gimbal too LOL!
Haha, don’t get me wrong it was on my list! I do have a gimbal. But I’ve worked with people far more creative than me who run and gun with incredible results so……

If you wind up taking all that equipment with you, I can almost guarantee that you will not wish to carry it all around with you. I'd be looking to slim it down to the bare essentials, if I were you. I have just returned from a few days in Seville and took my A7r4 + 24-105 + 14mm lens. I used the wide angle just once for a handful of shots and the 24-105 was a great lens that didn't leave me wanting much else.

I admit that your trip and my holiday are not the same, but there is a lot to be said for traveling light.

I hope you have a fabulous time.

Thank you so much for replying. I agree it does sound like a lot. But each lens has a very specific function in my own brain and the kind of photo or video shots it might create.

It seems like a little too much stuff, I would leave the 90 home, maybe even the 24 as well, and just bring the 100-400 and 24-105, if you have the tripod the fast lens is less important, how much macro do you plan on shooting.You can always bring a super lightweight ext tube for macro stuff. For image backup i would have some more cards even if they are just are the compact flash kind, one or two small ssd drives, also one more battery and two chargers. If you are doing any close up portraits of them you might want a small collapsible white translucent reflector disc, takes up no room or weight. Just my suggestion, sounds like fun, enjoy.

Back