Aviation Traveling with a Sony a6000

MoniBinis

Newcomer
Followers
Following
I will be traveling out of the country soon and am not familiar with the rules of flying with a camera. Are these cameras typically allowed on board or do they have to be checked in? Will the security x-ray machine damage the camera?

I have traveled abroad (US to Yurp) a couple of times with the old A7M II. I was assured that the gear they had to assure themselves I had no bombs would not harm the camera or SD cards. They were right. The camera bag came on board with me as carry-on luggage. Also my laptop. A guy has to keep track of his toys. oops, tools.

Last edited:
I had no problems, when I flew to Japan in 2019. I had my camera and tablet. When I was flying out of Japan they did make me remove it from my carry on bag.

I fly everywhere with my camera since 2019, (Japan, USA, Jamaica) absolutely no issues. Always in a camera bag or carry-on bag, never in checked luggage. The x-ray doesn't seem to harm digital cameras.

What does your travel kit look like?
I usually travel with the A6400, 10-18, 18-135, 2 spare batteries, a small mic and a mini tripod in a 6liter bag.
I found that using a backpack was sometimes less than ideal: camera backpacks are so specific that they are not good at carrying anything other than camera and accessories, while normal backpacks don't have the padding for your camera (unless you wrap it in clothes).

Back