Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Tripod for 200-600

TerryL

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Terry
Country
United States
City/State
Virginia
Hello, I’m shopping for a very sturdy tripod and gimbal for my 200-600. My question is will a 100mm leveling bowl cause vibrations or shake? I can also use the Arcatech leveling base. If my very heavy tripod and gimbal will become less sturdy with either I can just not use them. I want to get this purchase right the first time. Thank you.

Solution
Hi David, I’m having a hard time finding a 3 section tripod. Most are 4. I hate center columns and won’t use them. Just for your information, I’m in a wheelchair and only use the top 2 sections. Will that make a difference. Will a 4 section tripod be ok if I only use 2 sections? The brand I’m looking at is Leofoto. They are sold at BH. They started out years ago and were only sold on Amazon. They have a USA distributor now. I was very happy with the tripod I brought from them on Amazon. I was going to get their 100mm leveling bowl too. It has a very high weight capacity. My budget is $1,200. I was going to get the Leofoto tripod, a heavy duty model, and the 100mm leveler, along with the Arcatec long lens head.
Most tripods are capable of holding a gimble + camera + 200-600G. You wouldn't use a leveling bowl with a gimble as both of these devices replace the head unit. The tripods from 3-Legged Thing or Benro or Gitzo or Really Right Stuff or Fotopro are all for the most part really good, especially if you look at their more premium collections. With tripods it is really a question of what combination of features and how much are you willing to spend to get those. In general:
The heavier = more stable
Fewer leg segments = more stable
Not using the center column = more stable
If you just go for that combination of features you will end up with a heavy tripod that is a pain to travel with and it will also most likely cost $1100+ with no head unit.

I suggest that you identify what your primary uses of the tripod are and how you intend to get it to where it will be used. Then take a look through at least the brands I mentioned to get a feel for what your budget really is for the features you want. Also most of these brands have someone reviewing some product of theirs on youtube to give you a feel for the brand's generally reliability, just note with these reviews that the version they are reviewing most likely is not around anymore.

If you are going to be traveling and wanting a gimble might I suggest a Sidekick instead. This is so much smaller and provides all the benefits of a gimble.

Thank you Thad. That is very helpful.

Hi David, I’m having a hard time finding a 3 section tripod. Most are 4. I hate center columns and won’t use them. Just for your information, I’m in a wheelchair and only use the top 2 sections. Will that make a difference. Will a 4 section tripod be ok if I only use 2 sections? The brand I’m looking at is Leofoto. They are sold at BH. They started out years ago and were only sold on Amazon. They have a USA distributor now. I was very happy with the tripod I brought from them on Amazon. I was going to get their 100mm leveling bowl too. It has a very high weight capacity. My budget is $1,200. I was going to get the Leofoto tripod, a heavy duty model, and the 100mm leveler, along with the Arcatec long lens head.

Last edited:
Solution
Thank you Thad

You would be welcome, but it can't have been me: I don't know much about tripods (and don't own a lens that goes to more than 180).

I did go on one of those, oh wow, got camera, better buy kit spending sprees. I own two tripods and a monopod. One is a light-weight and fine for what it is, the other is heavier build, but just not made to good enough tolerances; the monopod is really well made, but I find I'd just rather hand hold. Tripods/etc just don't suit my photography.

With that behind me, and as you are looking to buy a fairly substantial tripod, I can see why you want to be as well-informed as possible!

The lower the tripod is the more stable it should be, just use the upper sections first.

I know nothing about Leofoto but from their product guide they seem to know what they are doing. It seems like you have done research on them and if you feel good about it go with them. The brands I named are just some of the more popular the last time I was looking at a new tripod, which was several years ago. If you are really worried about the stability I know most of the youtube landscape photographers use the Really Right Stuff ones but they might still be out of budget but I haven't looked.

I don't use a leveling base but then again other than sunset shots once a week I rarely use any of my tripods.

Whatever way you go give us a review as someone is probably always looking for a new tripod.

The lower the tripod is the more stable it should be, just use the upper sections first.

I know nothing about Leofoto but from their product guide they seem to know what they are doing. It seems like you have done research on them and if you feel good about it go with them. The brands I named are just some of the more popular the last time I was looking at a new tripod, which was several years ago. If you are really worried about the stability I know most of the youtube landscape photographers use the Really Right Stuff ones but they might still be out of budget but I haven't looked.

I don't use a leveling base but then again other than sunset shots once a week I rarely use any of my tripods.

Whatever way you go give us a review as someone is probably always looking for a new tripod.
I always use the upper 2 sections first and being in a wheelchair it is usually enough. When looking at the specs I look at the carbon fiber thickness of each section since that is all I use. Leofoto’s specs are great. I wish they had a 3 section version.

I just checked their USA distributor, and they do make 3 section tripods. I’m getting one of those. 3 sections, and no center column. That’s just great. Thank you for your help.

Most tripods are capable of holding a gimble + camera + 200-600G. You wouldn't use a leveling bowl with a gimble as both of these devices replace the head unit. The tripods from 3-Legged Thing or Benro or Gitzo or Really Right Stuff or Fotopro are all for the most part really good, especially if you look at their more premium collections. With tripods it is really a question of what combination of features and how much are you willing to spend to get those. In general:
The heavier = more stable
Fewer leg segments = more stable
Not using the center column = more stable
If you just go for that combination of features you will end up with a heavy tripod that is a pain to travel with and it will also most likely cost $1100+ with no head unit.

I suggest that you identify what your primary uses of the tripod are and how you intend to get it to where it will be used. Then take a look through at least the brands I mentioned to get a feel for what your budget really is for the features you want. Also most of these brands have someone reviewing some product of theirs on youtube to give you a feel for the brand's generally reliability, just note with these reviews that the version they are reviewing most likely is not around anymore.

If you are going to be traveling and wanting a gimble might I suggest a Sidekick instead. This is so much smaller and provides all the benefits of a gimble.
I have the sidekick.
Thank you.

I decided on a Gitzo 3 section tripod. No center column or leveling bowl. Also a Arcratec Long lens head.

New in Marketplace

Back