Tripod gimbal comparison for large lenses

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

garuda

Well Known Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 14, 2020
Name
Mike
City/State
Illinois
I have compiled a list (not comprehensive) of popular tripod/monopod large lenses gimbals for comparison. I purchased the MOVO GH-1000 gimbal and I'm quite satisfied w performance and price point.

The only functional drawback I can find with the GH-1000 (and likely all the other models being compared), is they do not have the conventional “fluid drive” system on either axis. Therefore, it takes more practice to gain consistent skill in tracking, panning, tilting (especially for BIFs, et al) to keep a moving target in frame. Lacking true fluid drive, the friction-drag resistance can be implemented with care by tweaking the pan and tilt locking-knobs for just enough pressure to add some resistance to somewhat replicate the smooth, graceful, fluidity found in a fully fluid drive system, which smooths out start/stop and tracking movements. It appears to me that all of the gimbals compared here do not have a true "fluid drive" system but rather a friction-drag mechanical axis resistance system. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

I had listed two MOVO models, along with other more expensive popular competitors. Comments are welcome.

All-1.jpg

You can view PDF comparison (below) with FireFox or Microsoft Edge -- just click on thumbnail on left below:

Attachments

• TRIPOD GIMBAL COMPARISON.pdf
    687.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Reactions: Timothy Mayo

Jeff A

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 31, 2020
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
As you may tell from some of my past posts, I try to offer cheaper solutions for various camera equipment or workarounds. And while doing so, I also try to suggest a cheaper solution, but still maintains the same (or nearly the same) reliability, performance, and longevity while still at a lower price point.

I totally agree with the old adage “You get what you pay for.” Implying that the more expensive versions of a product likely will be worth the extra price in in the long run, as well as better quality. So for that reason, I’m cautious about suggesting the cheaper versions unless they seem to be the exception to the rule (adage).

Recently I purchased a carbon fiber tripod gimbal (GH-1000) by MOVO that seems to have comparable quality, performance, and functionality as the more expensive gimbals available. So I decided to post a thread for those with a budget, to show a comparison, and to solicit opinions on the MOVO GH-series gimbals.

I chose the dual-arm model because of its extra strength for supporting the larger/longer tele lenses (my 200-600 specifically). And I am not contending that this gimbal is necessarily superior to the more expensive competition, but rather it certainly seems to be a good, safe buy for the price for those on a budget.

The only functional drawback I can find with the GH-1000 (and likely all the other models being compared), is they do not have the conventional “fluid drive” system on either axis. Therefore, it takes more practice to gain consistent skill in tracking, panning, tilting (especially for BIFs, et al) to keep a moving target in frame. Lacking true fluid drive, the friction-drag resistance can be implemented with care by tweaking the pan and tilt locking-knobs for just enough pressure to add some resistance to somewhat replicate the smooth, graceful, fluidity found in a fully fluid drive system, which smooths out start/stop and tracking movements. It appears to me that all of the gimbals compared here do not have a true "fluid drive" system but rather a friction-drag mechanical axis resistance system. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.

I had listed two MOVO models, along with two other more expensive popular competitors. Comments are welcome.

UPDATE: Standby, figuring out how to upload a PDF file. In meantime, you can view with FireFox or Microsoft Edge -- just click on thumbnail.
Actually, when I tried to open it in Firefox, It just went to my Download directory. FYI, I'm a Windows 10 user.

garuda

Well Known Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 14, 2020
Name
Mike
City/State
Illinois
The "Download" option works also, I guess. I get the choices on my Windows 10. It may depend on your download presets. Could you read it after download?

Jeff A

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 31, 2020
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
The "Download" option works also, I guess. I get the choices on my Windows 10. It may depend on your download presets. Could you read it after download?
Yes, I could.

Timothy Mayo

Admin
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Mar 1, 2020
Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Malvern
Thanks for sharing Mike! I'm using the Jobu Design BWG-J3K Jobu Jr.3 myself which I'm pretty happy with. I don't use it a great deal though. Normally just if I'm sitting in a hide which isn't so often.

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.