Name
Uncle Kev 😆
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Ormesby St Margaret
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I thought it worth posting about this, as it seems a lot of people are unaware of it.

If you are a Prime member, you get unlimited photo back ups as part of your account. All you need is the Amazon Photo app and you can back up everything you have now, and auto schedule back ups at will, or even instantly as you import to your PC. It is a little slow to upload, even on hyper fast broadband, but I don't know of any other service that gives unlimited storage for £79 a year. If you choose to leave prime you can retrieve your uploads too. Personally I only back up my completed files, but you can upload your original RAW files too. I really don't think it can be beat. Probably worth being a Prime member just for this alone.

Thanks for this info Kev. I have Prime but was totally unaware of this.

Thanks for this info Kev. I have Prime but was totally unaware of this.
No worries. I don't know why they don't promote it more.

It is a great part of a photo backup strategy. I have about 1.3Tb of images I have uploaded to it. When I process a new shoot is alway make a copy of all my shots to a local external drive and to Amazon Photo and a second Cloud service. I highly recommend folks make use fo theis service if they have Amazon Prime.

Thanks for the info @Kevriano . I've been using it for some years and it's great. In fact, I don't use Prime at all, except for photos backup and watch some videos, because I live outside USA and there is no local Amazon, but at this price, it's unbeatable. It became even more attractive after the decision of Google to stop the free unlimited storage of photos.

As a second backup, I use OneDrive. Microsoft has a Family plan for 5 Office licenses + 6Tb storage at about 100USD/year (it's called Microsoft 365 Family). That's also a good deal. If moderators are OK with this, I can share a link to that plan (BTW, I have nothing to do with Microsoft)

I thought it worth posting about this, as it seems a lot of people are unaware of it.

If you are a Prime member, you get unlimited photo back ups as part of your account. All you need is the Amazon Photo app and you can back up everything you have now, and auto schedule back ups at will, or even instantly as you import to your PC. It is a little slow to upload, even on hyper fast broadband, but I don't know of any other service that gives unlimited storage for £79 a year. If you choose to leave prime you can retrieve your uploads too. Personally I only back up my completed files, but you can upload your original RAW files too. I really don't think it can be beat. Probably worth being a Prime member just for this alone.
Thanks for the info! I've had Prime for years and never really considered this as a backup option. Considering I've been a Prime user for half a decade and have no plans to stop this is a no-brainer. I just wonder how long you have to remove your content on e you close the account? 🤔

Thanks for the info! I've had Prime for years and never really considered this as a backup option. Considering I've been a Prime user for half a decade and have no plans to stop this is a no-brainer. I just wonder how long you have to remove your content on e you close the account? 🤔
The terms and conditions just say we will give you reasonable time to retrieve your files. I would think a week at least, but you shouldn't really need long, especially as you will know in advance of you closing anyway.

@Osval. 6TB for $100 seems quite expensive to me, I could buy a 6TB HD for that.

I use local hard drives, but having a cloud option is a safety net. One of my external hard drives just failed in the past week. Fortunately I had 2 with copies of everything on both. Hard drives fail regularly. Cloud vendors deal with this for you. Relying just on local drives is a high risk option in my opinion.

I use local hard drives, but having a cloud option is a safety net. One of my external hard drives just failed in the past week. Fortunately I had 2 with copies of everything on both. Hard drives fail regularly. Cloud vendors deal with this for you. Relying just on local drives is a high risk option in my opinion.
Oh yes, I don't rely on them solely, but have several, plus my Prime uploads. They are handy for quick access though. I know people who use NAS systems and all sorts, but they will always be fallable, or at least until large capacity SSD become viable.

The terms and conditions just say we will give you reasonable time to retrieve your files. I would think a week at least, but you shouldn't really need long, especially as you will know in advance of you closing anyway.

@Osval. 6TB for $100 seems quite expensive to me, I could buy a 6TB HD for that.
For sure it's expensive if it only were the storage, but in those 100USD are included 5 full MS Office licenses.

For sure it's expensive if it only were the storage, but in those 100USD are included 5 full MS Office licenses.
That's not so bad I guess then, if you have the need for it of course.

Thanks for the info I was also unaware of this feature. I use multiple hard drives on site for backups. I was using Google to backup photos until I received an email from them saying how nice the photo was!

Thanks for the info I was also unaware of this feature. I use multiple hard drives on site for backups. I was using Google to backup photos until I received an email from them saying how nice the photo was!

Ooo cheeky beggars! While I'm sure Amazon can see if they want, I don't expect they would ever send me a compliment :)

Back