Following
Name
Terry
Country
United States
City/State
Virginia
Hello folks,
I read a rumor on a different forum that someone damaged their camera by using a lens converter. I’m about to use a smart converter on an Irix 150mm F mount. Is this risk? I’ve never used them before.

Last edited:
The worry is cheap lens adapters - some are not machined very well, and they can damage the mount on your camera. I think the most frightening story I read was about a cheap adapter tearing out some of the contacts in the lens mount - not a cheap repair.

I have/have had at least a dozen different cheap adapters, $25 or less. Most were M-4/3, one for Sony. The Sony adapter is form A to E mount and cost $17. I have never had a problem. Try to stick with a known brand like Fotodiox, and use care when mounting the first time. Stop if there's any resistance on either side, but especially the camera side.

I saw a new adapter the other day for Minolta MC-MD > E mount that does double-duty as an adjustable macro tube. It has a heli-coil that can be adjusted for length from zero for straight adapter out to whatever the max length was. For $30, I'm going to give it a shot.

I have/have had at least a dozen different cheap adapters, $25 or less. Most were M-4/3, one for Sony. The Sony adapter is form A to E mount and cost $17. I have never had a problem. Try to stick with a known brand like Fotodiox, and use care when mounting the first time. Stop if there's any resistance on either side, but especially the camera side.

I saw a new adapter the other day for Minolta MC-MD > E mount that does double-duty as an adjustable macro tube. It has a heli-coil that can be adjusted for length from zero for straight adapter out to whatever the max length was. For $30, I'm going to give it a shot.
Thank you Tim. I‘m going to try a Smart adapter so I can control the aperture.

Terry

Last edited:
Thank you Tim. I‘m going to try a Smart adapter so I can control the aperture.

Terry
Let us know how it works out. The cheap one I have for A mount does control the aperture, but it doesn't report back through the camera, nor is it graduated (for obvious reasons). To use it I put the camera in P and watch the shutter speed as I turn the ring. For example, if I move the ring until the shutter changes by a full stop, I know I've changed the aperture by the same amount.

Let us know how it works out. The cheap one I have for A mount does control the aperture, but it doesn't report back through the camera, nor is it graduated (for obvious reasons). To use it I put the camera in P and watch the shutter speed as I turn the ring. For example, if I move the ring until the shutter changes by a full stop, I know I've changed the aperture by the same amount.
Well what do know, my Commlite smart adapter works. I can shoot in A now. It also reports through the camera. I’m just going to leave it mounted on my Irix 150mm Macro lens.

Last edited:

Let us know Tim.

Tim,
Please explain how to get focus confirmation with my new manual focus lens.
Thank you

Tim,
Please explain how to get focus confirmation with my new manual focus lens.
Thank you
Focus Assist (enlarging the image in the viewfinder to see more detail) and Focus Peaking (little colored pixels that glow when specific areas are in focus).

Look in your camera's menu under the focus heading.

Hello folks,
I read a rumor on a different forum that someone damaged their camera by using a lens converter. I’m about to use a smart converter on an Irix 150mm F mount. Is this risk? I’ve never used them before.
I'm late to respond, but I hope your use of the adapter/converter went without a hitch. As Tony mentioned, I have heard of times when a cheap manual converter had dust/metal shavings out of the box from china which would result in scratching the mount or worse, entering the sensor opening where it might damage the sensor.
I have 2 converters and before I used them I made sure to give them a visual inspection, used a handheld blower, and gave them a final wipe before mounting. Knock on wood, no issues.

Focus Assist (enlarging the image in the viewfinder to see more detail) and Focus Peaking (little colored pixels that glow when specific areas are in focus).

Look in your camera's menu under the focus heading.
Thank you Tim. That’s just what I wanted. Not having focus confirmation is a disappointment. Do I look under the camera symbol or tool bag? Have a wonderful weekend.

I don't know that your camera does or doesn't have focus confirmation, I don't have an A7RM4.

At the top of this page there's a link called 'Blog and Resources'. Click it.
At the top of that page there's a link called 'Camera'. Click that too.
If you scroll down just a touch, you'll find a table of cameras. Find your camera and click the link next to it that says 'Manual'.
Once you've done that you be presented with a couple of paragraphs. Within the text there's orange text called 'Online Help Guide'. It's a link. Clicking it will take you to the guide, which is searchable.
Choose your search term, like 'Manual Focus', or 'Focus Confirmation' or 'Focus Assist'.

I don't know that your camera does or doesn't have focus confirmation, I don't have an A7RM4.

At the top of this page there's a link called 'Blog and Resources'. Click it.
At the top of that page there's a link called 'Camera'. Click that too.
If you scroll down just a touch, you'll find a table of cameras. Find your camera and click the link next to it that says 'Manual'.
Once you've done that you be presented with a couple of paragraphs. Within the text there's orange text called 'Online Help Guide'. It's a link. Clicking it will take you to the guide, which is searchable.
Choose your search term, like 'Manual Focus', or 'Focus Confirmation' or 'Focus Assist'.
Thank you Tm. That’s going to be very handy. I appreciate your time.

Hello,
I use lens mount adapters all the time: it is a good to build a lens lineup without spending a fortune ;) I use Minolta AF primes (24 f2.8, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.4, 135 f2.8, 200 f2.8, 500 f8) the whole lot cost less than a Sony 24-105 f4. Maybe a bit less convenient ( LA-EA5 adapter required) but it really does the job well when I need a larger aperture specific shots. I also use older A mount zooms ( beercan, 24-70 f2.8), M42 lenses (Helios 44, Jupiter 11), Rokkor lenses and so on.

Never had any issues with the adapters. Except, in some cases, I had to use shims to correct the mounting distance for a 8mm M42 lense ( it was too close and would not focus well due to this: problem solved with some plastic sheets stuck between the lens mount and the adapter flange).

I'm a fan also though no AF with mine. The ea3 does everything else: aperture and FL data get where they're needed.
I also have many manual Pentax primes with aperture rings, so a generic PK-E is also in play.

How are you guys magnefing the image when focusing?

The worry is cheap lens adapters - some are not machined very well, and they can damage the mount on your camera. I think the most frightening story I read was about a cheap adapter tearing out some of the contacts in the lens mount - not a cheap repair.
I spent the bucks and bought a good one. Everything is fine.

I ended up getting Commlite Electronic Lens Mount Adapter. It’s well made and works as it should. It my first adapter.

How are you guys magnefing the image when focusing?
If it doesn't respond to turning the focus ring (and that's common with adapted lenses) you need to set one of the custom buttons to Magnify - it's less convenient, but you still get the functionality.

Back