Sony A1 Using Mode 1, 2 or 3? So far, it's not happening...

GracieAllen

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
David Perez
Today’s question. I would like to set up custom “2” to be my BIF setup. Do I have to go through the entire menu, setting each area the way I want it for birds? For example, PRIOR to messing with this, I’ve gone into the shooting menu and set it so Slot 1 is RAW, LOSSLESS, LARGE.

If I go the Aperture mode it appears to use that, but, if I go to “2”, suddenly I’m back to shooting jpegs. I've never set ANYTHING up to shoot JPEGs.

SO, I decided I DO have to go through EVERYTHING and set the whole system up to do birds WHILE I have “2” selected… But HOW MUCH of all this is it going to remember? It seems like settings I’ve done in the Setup menu, like assigning a custom button, WORKS, but a bunch of OTHER stuff that I THOUGHT I’d “Registered”, doesn’t SEEM to. As in, I WANT it to shoot Compressed RAW, but it keeps going back to JPEG…

Is there some specific order in which I have to do things? ‘Cause I want to set up “1” to be my general photography and it’s NOT going to use Auto ISO, and it’ll use aperture Mode, and so on.

I’m clearly missing something. What IS the process to have "2" use all the settings I THINK I've set up.

Set the camera up the way you want it in S or M position for birds then in Menu shooting mode 4 Camera set memory, enter into position 1. That should lock the settings in when you select 1 with the control knob.

I have found it easier to assign a custom set to recall on one button, in my case the AEL button. I then just need to switch OSS off when I want to shoot BIF.

If you want an easy route and you focus is BIF, as a starting point, suggest you either go to Mark Smith on youtube and follow his Manual
set up or alternatively, and which is probably more appropriate and extensive, go to Marc Galer on you tube who is a Sony Global Ambassador
and folllow his A1 custom settings for 1,2 and 3......you can get his custom setting download for 1, 2 and 3 and upload to your camera and
you are set to go. His custom 2 settings for action/birding are based on aperture priority which seems to be your preference.

He follows a set up wherein he sets up according to a PAL principle wherein he provides custom setting for Portraits, Action/Birding and
Landscapes corresponding to custom settings 1,2 and 3.

As a starting point , wherein it seems you have a degree of confusion presently, you will find either of these very useful to set up initially and as
you develop your own personal shooting style you will be able to adjust as necessary.

Don,t hesitate if you need further input........

My focus isn't just birds. I'm following the Mark Galer - I've watched at LEAST a dozen videos from Mark Galer, Mark Smith, and at least THREE other people, so I've seen plenty of videos. And spent HOURS with the Sony Help Guide.

I HAVE everything set up in the menu while in Manual mode. The problem I had last night was I THINK I did the registration, but I wound up with completely different settings in "2" than I planned. BUT, today, doing the same thing - which obviously WASN'T the same thing - it worked fine. When I switch to 2, things look right.

I've got things to the point where it all works. The Fn Menu does what I want - at least at this point. I'm having some trouble deciding what to put on the custom keys, but I'll get there.

Thanks for the replies...

My focus isn't just birds. I'm following the Mark Galer - I've watched at LEAST a dozen videos from Mark Galer, Mark Smith, and at least THREE other people, so I've seen plenty of videos. And spent HOURS with the Sony Help Guide.

I HAVE everything set up in the menu while in Manual mode. The problem I had last night was I THINK I did the registration, but I wound up with completely different settings in "2" than I planned. BUT, today, doing the same thing - which obviously WASN'T the same thing - it worked fine. When I switch to 2, things look right.

I've got things to the point where it all works. The Fn Menu does what I want - at least at this point. I'm having some trouble deciding what to put on the custom keys, but I'll get there.

Thanks for the replies...
David, have you found Mark Galer's Monthly Q&A Forum? You can always ask specific questions there and Mark will answer, usually in less than 12 hours. Let me know if you have questions how to find it. It is not very intuitive. :mad:

No, I haven't. I know about the Patreon thing, and I'm thinking of joining, at least for a month to see what it is and to get the A1 e-book, but I didn't know about the forum... I'll have to see if I can find it.

No, I haven't. I know about the Patreon thing, and I'm thinking of joining, at least for a month to see what it is and to get the A1 e-book, but I didn't know about the forum... I'll have to see if I can find it.
Without joining, you will never see it. I too joined for a month. That was 9 months ago. I cannot see a circumstance that would cause me to leave.

Today’s question. I would like to set up custom “2” to be my BIF setup. Do I have to go through the entire menu, setting each area the way I want it for birds? For example, PRIOR to messing with this, I’ve gone into the shooting menu and set it so Slot 1 is RAW, LOSSLESS, LARGE.

If I go the Aperture mode it appears to use that, but, if I go to “2”, suddenly I’m back to shooting jpegs. I've never set ANYTHING up to shoot JPEGs.

SO, I decided I DO have to go through EVERYTHING and set the whole system up to do birds WHILE I have “2” selected… But HOW MUCH of all this is it going to remember? It seems like settings I’ve done in the Setup menu, like assigning a custom button, WORKS, but a bunch of OTHER stuff that I THOUGHT I’d “Registered”, doesn’t SEEM to. As in, I WANT it to shoot Compressed RAW, but it keeps going back to JPEG…

Is there some specific order in which I have to do things? ‘Cause I want to set up “1” to be my general photography and it’s NOT going to use Auto ISO, and it’ll use aperture Mode, and so on.

I’m clearly missing something. What IS the process to have "2" use all the settings I THINK I've set up.
The key thing, which seems not to be mentioned anywhere, is that you do NOT turn the dial to 2 to set up 2. What you do is set the camera up exactly as you want - for example, if you want 2 to be Aperture priority then have the dial on A. Then save the lot to 2 in the menu. You even get to choose what it sets (I have it set everything).

I did as I think you did - turn the dial to 2 and start setting things. But how then do you set aperture or shutter priority? That’s the key That helped me work it out.

OK, back to the 1,2,3 thing..........

I JUST WATCHED the Mark Galer video on changing memory. Yes, it's now pretty easy to get something in setting 1, 2 or 3.

Now I want to CHANGE a setting and have it go back into "2". The setting I want to change is from Manual mode to Aperture mode.

I can recall "2", but I can't find any setting to change from Manual to Aperture.
I tried switching the dial to "A", but that lost the recalled "2".
I tried starting from "Aperture" mode, then trying to Recall the Saved "2", but it says it'd disabled.

How DO I change the mode from Manual to Aperture without having to redo the entire configuration for "2"?

OK, back to the 1,2,3 thing..........

I JUST WATCHED the Mark Galer video on changing memory. Yes, it's now pretty easy to get something in setting 1, 2 or 3.

Now I want to CHANGE a setting and have it go back into "2". The setting I want to change is from Manual mode to Aperture mode.

I can recall "2", but I can't find any setting to change from Manual to Aperture.
I tried switching the dial to "A", but that lost the recalled "2".
I tried starting from "Aperture" mode, then trying to Recall the Saved "2", but it says it'd disabled.

How DO I change the mode from Manual to Aperture without having to redo the entire configuration for "2"?

you are wanting to change the one thing that means you have to start again. Pretty much everything else can be changed without moving the dial, but that one, not possible. Sorry!

Of COURSE I am! I have a knack for finding the hardest things to try to do in most any situation. I thought MAYBE, like the "Hold" buttons you can create - where you hold in a button and it completely changes the settings for 1 or 2 shots - the 1,2,3 modes could do the same thing, but permanently. Bummer...

Of COURSE I am! I have a knack for finding the hardest things to try to do in most any situation. I thought MAYBE, like the "Hold" buttons you can create - where you hold in a button and it completely changes the settings for 1 or 2 shots - the 1,2,3 modes could do the same thing, but permanently. Bummer...
Remember: "That which does not kill you only makes you stronger" - you must be getting much stronger!

I'm not so sure - I seem to have an ENDLESS supply of "STUPID HUMAN TRICKS"... If it CAN be done wrong, I've probably done it - Usually at least TWICE 'cause I don't learn the first time.

Back