We all know this is a Sony forum, but I would like recommendation for a compact camera

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
So, a title regardless of make recommendations for compact travel camera please I have the rx100 mk3 and have had the rxr1, but they are prone to dust getting on to the sensor the reason I parted with the last one I had, and the rxr2 is 3k crazy, some zoom would be good, I know nothing about the other brands on offer and would be interested in what you guys use and think Sony or anything else

Look no further than the Panasonic Lumix ZS-100. 20MP 1" sensor, 25-250 (35mm Eq) f/2.8-5.9 Leica lens, Macro mode, and a bunch of Panny's fun features. Not bad for $600.

Look no further than the Panasonic Lumix ZS-100. 20MP 1" sensor, 25-250 (35mm Eq) f/2.8-5.9 Leica lens, Macro mode, and a bunch of Panny's fun features. Not bad for $600.

Thanks, Tim just the info I need I have no clue on the non-Sony brands I will give this a good look, my wife is not comfortable with me lugging some of the expensive kit I do in some of the places we visit

Unlike the majority of the population (at least here in USA), I use a genuine pocket camera instead of a cell phone for snapshots. Though they are less popular there are several compact cameras out there. Best quality will of course have a larger APS-C sensor, but if you want this AND small size (truly a pocket camera) there are two main contenders, but neither is a zoom. If you want a zoom lens (Canon has some good ones) you may need to go slightly smaller sensor. As for the two non-zooms I refer to, both have a full-frame equivalent 28mm f2.8 lens. The less expensive of the two is the one I use: Fuji FX10. The more expensive (twice the price) is Ricoh GRiii. The main advantage of the Ricoh is that it has IBIS whereas the Fuji does not. However I read several reviews that said the Ricoh failed after a short period of time (enough users report this that I believe there is a genuine quality control issue). Here is a comparison video from Matt Granger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av41O9o58uY

I had a ZS-70, similar but it had the 1/2.3 sensor, much smaller. Still, it took really nice photos. The 1" sensor will deliver.

Also, if you prefer an ILC form factor, consider a nice bridge camera instead of a compact. I had an FZ 70 with a zoom range from 20-1200mm!!! It was also a small sensor, but again made very nice photos. There are now more advanced versions of this camera, they made an FZ-80, and I think a 100. This is the FZ-70 in iAuto!
021 by telecast, on Flickr

I had a ZS-70, similar but it had the 1/2.3 sensor, much smaller. Still, it took really nice photos. The 1" sensor will deliver.

Also, if you prefer an ILC form factor, consider a nice bridge camera instead of a compact. I had an FZ 70 with a zoom range from 20-1200mm!!! It was also a small sensor, but again made very nice photos. There are now more advanced versions of this camera, they made an FZ-80, and I think a 100. This is the FZ-70 in iAuto!
021 by telecast, on Flickr
As I thought just ask the question and I don't need to do the research because the members will do it for me, and brownie will be leading the way

I looked and buying something like that a while ago and the Panasonic Lumix ZS-100 was on my short list with the Sony RX100

I've owned zs100 and still have a zs50. Both do good work but picking up a gx85 made the 100 pretty redundant. The 50 has a small sensor but can go to 720mm/eq with lens IS, and in raw its 12Mpx sensor does pretty well.

Back