Ok so would any of you guys ever consider changing camera system/ brand from Sony, or have we got members using more than Sony already

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so as usual all welcome question as title, I have Sony and Olympus gear , and would consider changing brand if Sony does not add value with the new cameras, spec is fine but they seem to be expensive when looking at some other options.

In a heartbeat. I've done it before, would do it again. There would have to be some reason for it though. Does it do it better, more bang for the buck, etc.

I had two systems but found it to be a pain in the butt so ended up with just Sony. If I were to go with another manufacturer it would probably be a complete change out instead of adding a second system.

I went through the expensive process of changing from Canon to Sony, after waiting several years for Canon to bring out a decent mirrorless camera. Needless to say, had I waited another year, I would probably have remained with Canon. However, at this point, I don't see myself changing brand again. I am enjoying my Sony camera equipment and comfortable with what Sony is doing in terms of development. Also, living in South Africa, with our currency rapidly losing value, camera equipment is becoming extremely expensive and a time will soon come when I will just have to decide that I am happy with what I have and won't upgrade again.

If Olympus hadn't collapsed and gone into OM Systems zombie-mode, I might have changed systems. I have had TG-series cameras in the past and they worked as expected, so to think that I could have a m43 camera with better IBIS than Sony in a body that is more waterproof without the need for a case? yeah, sign me up! Only thing that would have held me back is lens availability.
Of course, in the real world (and not an alternate reality where Olympus still thrives), I don't have faith enough in OM Systems to commit that much $ to a platform with a dubious future.

I went through the expensive process of changing from Canon to Sony, after waiting several years for Canon to bring out a decent mirrorless camera. Needless to say, had I waited another year, I would probably have remained with Canon. However, at this point, I don't see myself changing brand again. I am enjoying my Sony camera equipment and comfortable with what Sony is doing in terms of development. Also, living in South Africa, with our currency rapidly losing value, camera equipment is becoming extremely expensive and a time will soon come when I will just have to decide that I am happy with what I have and won't upgrade again.
I had not realised the currency in South Africa was falling badly, I guess we are all busy looking at our own currency and economic state right now

In the past I have owned and or shot with Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Olympus and I am now with Sony, there would have o be a very compelling reason to switch the whole system now. Sony more than exceeds my needs or wants and to switch would be very expensive with little gain. Have more than one camera system at the same time as just for fun shooter is just not worth the hassle unless you are talking about say a dedicated street camera with a fixed lens.

Twice I worked on films in Cape Town, not because it made any sense for the project but because it was much cheaper for the US production company. Even though it took forever to get there really enjoyed both trips.

I had not realised the currency in South Africa was falling badly, I guess we are all busy looking at our own currency and economic state right now
Twice I worked on films in Cape Town, not because it made any sense for the project but because it was much cheaper for the US production company. Even though it took forever to get there really enjoyed both trips.

In the last 2 years the Rand has lost about 20% to the US dollar. A positive aspect is that it does make South Africa a very affordable tourism destination and also attracts companies who find it much cheaper to do business here like in the film industry, software and some others.

As already said there would have to be some very compelling reason. I don't consider price a very strong reason to switch because of the cost in actually switching and there is nothing that says because brand A is cheaper today that it will still be cheaper in the future. As far as feature sets go I believe we are near the point at which the features I use/care about will all basically be the same between Sony, Canon and Nikon or within a small percentage of being that same and that the "best" camera will be whichever most recently released a model.

I have thought that maybe having a m43 for the wildlife and Sony for everything else would be a way to go as reducing weight is very compelling. This however leads into who are the m43 manufactures and this sums that up nicely:

I don't have faith enough in OM Systems to commit that much $ to a platform with a dubious future.

@iamdlewis I carry a go-pro and my a6400 when I go on vacations because I fear any water damage to my main camera. It would be a true all-in-one solution to be able to have a decent camera that is more adventure-proof. Olympus was the only brand I saw that understood that. Sadly, I think its a lost cause because modern smartphones like my Samsung S23 already do it all (for the majority of casual users) and are waterproof without the need for a case. So at a time when smartphones have already taken over a significant market share of non-professional mirrorless cameras, there is even less $ to be made by researching/manufacturing/offering an enthusiast camera with enhanced water/dust/shock-proofing.

Sorry, I got off on a tangent didn't I?

I’m already a Fuji X/GFX and Q2 shooter.

At some point down the road if m4/3 improves their at/tracking to the Sony level I might take a look but there’s nothing out there better than the A1 and the FE lens ecosystem even after almost 3 years. I’ve given some thought to selling the GFX system since I don’t use it that much.

The iPhone 15 Pro so far has been impressive so far for casual stuff and low light.

@iamdlewis I carry a go-pro and my a6400 when I go on vacations because I fear any water damage to my main camera. It would be a true all-in-one solution to be able to have a decent camera that is more adventure-proof. Olympus was the only brand I saw that understood that. Sadly, I think its a lost cause because modern smartphones like my Samsung S23 already do it all (for the majority of casual users) and are waterproof without the need for a case. So at a time when smartphones have already taken over a significant market share of non-professional mirrorless cameras, there is even less $ to be made by researching/manufacturing/offering an enthusiast camera with enhanced water/dust/shock-proofing.

Sorry, I got off on a tangent didn't I?
Fully agree. I don't worry about the weather as much as the A1 is fine in any weather I'll probably be out in. On that note though I can say that a Samsung S21 can handle a 20-40 minute saltwater bath at a depth of about 10 feet with about 2 days of drying out pretty well. The phone no longer knew its orientation and the compass was about 30 degrees off but the rest of it worked fine.

I have thought about using a M43 for the wildlife and the Sony line for everything else.

I changed from Canon to Sony mainly because the Sony a7iv was at the same price point as the R6, also I previously had the 800D crop sensor and would need an adaptor to use my lenses.

Furthermore it was approx 1/3 less resolution that I didn't want to loose, also the RF glass is also pretty expensive and as we know we have a lot of 3rd party lenses available for the Sony system.

I have thought about using a M43 for the wildlife and the Sony line for everything else.
Panasonic has just upgraded their 100-400 lens and made it usable with new TCs. M-4/3+100-400+2x TC = 1600mm, handheld.

Panasonic has just upgraded their 100-400 lens and made it usable with new TCs. M-4/3+100-400+2x TC = 1600mm, handheld.
Tim I think that what I was told recently when in store (y)

Back