Ok so here is your chance to have a say, get it out what is Sony doing right or wrong, kit, firmware, service what ever you want

Or the decimation of rain forests. Yeah...USB cables...that'll solve it.
Funny thing is, and depending on which expert, is that the global green coverage increased recently --- decimation does sound pretty final though.

A lot these figures can be very misleading (and it does seem to matter who pays what to which expert too - sort of like expert testimony) - but for me the funniest interpretation of data was when the 32% chance of there being global warming then turned (as if by magic) into 97% (all it took was a little palm lubing).

I have been waiting in my boat for the flooding ever since the 1980s and nothing has happened yet, but any day now...

Still, as kids we were told, that the next ice-age was just around the corner - well, that and as well that we would probably never get to have any actual sex as men would be unnecessary now that the tech was there for it to all be frozen for use later --- seems like one thing is for sure, nobody knows.

Now, I'd like a USB cable, as they keep nicking them whenever they come over!

Funny thing is, and depending on which expert, is that the global green coverage increased recently --- decimation does sound pretty final though.

A lot these figures can be very misleading (and it does seem to matter who pays what to which expert too - sort of like expert testimony) - but for me the funniest interpretation of data was when the 32% chance of there being global warming then turned (as if by magic) into 97% (all it took was a little palm lubing).

I have been waiting in my boat for the flooding ever since the 1980s and nothing has happened yet, but any day now...

Still, as kids we were told, that the next ice-age was just around the corner - well, that and as well that we would probably never get to have any actual sex as men would be unnecessary now that the tech was there for it to all be frozen for use later --- seems like one thing is for sure, nobody knows.

And acid rain, and the ozone layer, and everything else. And along with an increase in green coverage, the Ozone layer is healing itself and has been for some time.

The climate monkeys changed it from Global Warming to Climate Change several years ago because we weren't having enough hot weather to scare everyone. Now they're wishing they had left it alone!

Follow the money.

Just for a moment, back to cameras... Earlier in here, this was stated: "Companies survive by keeping their customers happy. With the ever and constantly shrinking camera market, it's even more important you stop people from going to someone who makes improvements."

I don't think Sony is very concerned about the statement above.

I have an Alpha 1. I periodically get asked if it's "great". I always say I like it, it's a very good camera. And they ask, "Why not great?" Two things I inferred would be coming from statements I read in various places before and after purchase, both of which were claimed to be able to be done in firmware: In-camera focus stacking - if a 6-year-old Nikon can stack 100 images, an Alpha 1 should. Pre-capture - If Nikon can provide firmware to do it in jpeg, Sony should be able to do a 2 (or more) second rolling buffer shooting 30 fps compressed RAW.

Other people have their own features they think the A1 lacks, that are important to them. These just happen to be mine.

Just for a moment, back to cameras... Earlier in here, this was stated: "Companies survive by keeping their customers happy. With the ever and constantly shrinking camera market, it's even more important you stop people from going to someone who makes improvements."

I don't think Sony is very concerned about the statement above.

I have an Alpha 1. I periodically get asked if it's "great". I always say I like it, it's a very good camera. And they ask, "Why not great?" Two things I inferred would be coming from statements I read in various places before and after purchase, both of which were claimed to be able to be done in firmware: In-camera focus stacking - if a 6-year-old Nikon can stack 100 images, an Alpha 1 should. Pre-capture - If Nikon can provide firmware to do it in jpeg, Sony should be able to do a 2 (or more) second rolling buffer shooting 30 fps compressed RAW.

Other people have their own features they think the A1 lacks, that are important to them. These just happen to be mine.
Interesting. I don't recall Sony ever saying the A1 will focus stack. I just dump my images into Affinity Photo and it'll stitch a pano or create an image stack for me. I love that I can program my Fujis to take a set number of images for stacking at focus distances I prescribe. That is neat.

The capabilities over all of the stacked sensor beast that is the A1 even today have me thinking that this is the greatest camera you can buy at the moment. Different strokes for sure.

A quick look at numbers will show that this past century has actually been uncannily stable in regards to the Earth's climate. Much like death numbers before covid vaccination showed absolutely no indication of any country being in any type of health crisis. Then after the injection and still accelerating, most of the Western countries are seeing between 12-20% in excess mortality, higher than even any war time in history.

I'm still beside myself at the rise in sea levels! Cronulla Beach looks like it's risen maybe one or two millimetres since I was a kid, give or take one or two millimetres I reckon!

Don't forget to buy all your digital device protection for the turn of the new century too. Because no digital device ever simply starts at zero once it gets to the end of a number cycle right? No, they blow up of course... ✅

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I don't recall Sony ever saying the A1 will focus stack. I just dump my images into Affinity Photo and it'll stitch a pano or create an image stack for me. I love that I can program my Fujis to take a set number of images for stacking at focus distances I prescribe. That is neat.

That's why it's one of the items on the list... It DOESN'T. And yeah, Affinity may render your focus stack adequately, but there's no built-in focus stacking on the Alpha 1...

That's why it's one of the items on the list... It DOESN'T. And yeah, Affinity may render your focus stack adequately, but there's no built-in focus stacking on the Alpha 1...
ok... no argument from me. I know the A1 doesn't focus stack. I use my GFX for that.

Unless Sony promised it at the outset I don't see why it's that big a deal. If not having in camera focus stacking is a dealbreaker then you bought the wrong camera. :)

People go on about Nikon and their updates via firmware. The difference to me is that they are essentially adding things that were missing at release but were touted pre-release. To me at least - there's a difference.

Not a deal breaker, and I suspect Sony is VERY careful never to make any overt promises of features added to stay competitive. The topic asked, and there are things IMO that prevent a very good camera from being better. I'd add the third thing - a fully articulating LCD, but that's not something they could provide with a firmware update.

When asked, I don't push people at Nikon or anyone else, but I do suggest they look at the mfrs that are adding value during the life of their products as they fight to stay competitive. Especially with their much touted "flagship" products.

Not a deal breaker, and I suspect Sony is VERY careful never to make any overt promises of features added to stay competitive. The topic asked, and there are things IMO that prevent a very good camera from being better. I'd add the third thing - a fully articulating LCD, but that's not something they could provide with a firmware update.

When asked, I don't push people at Nikon or anyone else, but I do suggest they look at the mfrs that are adding value during the life of their products as they fight to stay competitive. Especially with their much touted "flagship" products.
lol... I came to Sony for the better tele glass options, killer tracking, autofocus and e-shutter performance that a stacked sensor delivers.

I already had focus stacking/bracketing/exposure bracketing etc. with my Fujis but really didn't use them very often. I guess our priorities are just different because Sony gave me exactly what I was missing from Fuji and is still doing it better than just about everyone else. And the A1 EVF blackout free shooting is just *money* imo. A1 still king for my use.

Ok, I have a complaint about Sony! (well, sort of…)

We were told that the A6700 would arrive in July, and the 70-200 f/4 G II would arrive in September. Nice and clear in the press release for each product.

Today my local dealer calls me to say my 70-200 G II has arrived! It’s not September! I thought it was a mistake: “I wanted the G II, not the GM II”, and “I wanted the G II, not the original 70-200 f/4”. Went in - it’s real. Lens is 2 months early! My dealer got several of them, plus a shipment of A6700 cameras, all today.

If you are waiting for an A6700 or a 70-200 f/4 G II, check with your dealer…

lol... I came to Sony for the better tele glass options, killer tracking, autofocus and e-shutter performance that a stacked sensor delivers.

I already had focus stacking/bracketing/exposure bracketing etc. with my Fujis but really didn't use them very often. I guess our priorities are just different because Sony gave me exactly what I was missing from Fuji and is still doing it better than just about everyone else. And the A1 EVF blackout free shooting is just *money* imo. A1 still king for my use.
And that's good. This topic is about what Sony is doing RIGHT or WRONG... The A1 is a very good camera that does many things well. But, in a shrinking market, when your competitors are putting out capabilities that draw sales (Olympus pre-capture), Sony could be more responsive with firmware updates that provide much-requested capabilities that are of value to a subset of users - particularly on your flagship. Those who don't need or want those capabilities can ignore them.

And that's good. This topic is about what Sony is doing RIGHT or WRONG... The A1 is a very good camera that does many things well. But, in a shrinking market, when your competitors are putting out capabilities that draw sales (Olympus pre-capture), Sony could be more responsive with firmware updates that provide much-requested capabilities that are of value to a subset of users - particularly on your flagship. Those who don't need or want those capabilities can ignore them.
Sony disappointed me by failing to offer any meaningful functional updates to the A9II. I spent an extra $1K on it instead of the A9 in hopes that they would be more likely to upgrade the II. Nope.

Lesson learned. Updating existing bodies is not the Sony way. I wish it were otherwise of course but have zero expectations.

Kind of like in the frequent traveler world. Even for high level elites - upgrades are becoming more difficult to get.
The adage is ”buy the class/suite you need” as you cannot count on an upgrade.

Ok, I have a complaint about Sony! (well, sort of…)

We were told that the A6700 would arrive in July, and the 70-200 f/4 G II would arrive in September. Nice and clear in the press release for each product.

Today my local dealer calls me to say my 70-200 G II has arrived! It’s not September! I thought it was a mistake: “I wanted the G II, not the GM II”, and “I wanted the G II, not the original 70-200 f/4”. Went in - it’s real. Lens is 2 months early! My dealer got several of them, plus a shipment of A6700 cameras, all today.

If you are waiting for an A6700 or a 70-200 f/4 G II, check with your dealer…
Nice for you Tony so I will assume you will review the lens for us including some shots please :)

Doesn't matter. I have several custom modes set up for what I need. I spin the dial to 1, 2, or 3, and I have the settings I want. The last thing I need is to have to remember to move 2 or 3 dials to get something so common as burst rate. I guess that's Sony's idea of a 'professional' set up. Idiots.
So I dont have any memory setups on the a9, so could not answer question, just looked at memory recall options and mr 1-3 I can set frame rate low-med -high on the a9

I set the numbers up as P/A/L, and then promptly forget all about using them and just shoot manual

So I dont have any memory setups on the a9, so could not answer question, just looked at memory recall options and mr 1-3 I can set frame rate low-med -high on the a9
Well that makes sense. I would assume then that the A1 is no different. Given that, I think I've enjoy the dials for quick changes.
I set the numbers up as P/A/L, and then promptly forget all about using them and just shoot manual
Custom modes aren't necessarily about P or A or S. I am in M 99% of the time. In fact I don't think I've used anything else in well over a year. Even at the drag strip with non-stop fast action the camera is in M. The difference is that by programming all of my preferences like burst rate, metering, AF tracking, M, etc. etc. ad-nauseum into Custom Mode 1, I can set the mode dial there, have everything properly set up, and still have the ability to spin the aperture and shutter dials as needed. It really is the best of both worlds, and no need to worry about what I may have changed in the camera last time I was shooting a flower or landscape.

Well that makes sense. I would assume then that the A1 is no different. Given that, I think I've enjoy the dials for quick changes.

Custom modes aren't necessarily about P or A or S. I am in M 99% of the time. In fact I don't think I've used anything else in well over a year. Even at the drag strip with non-stop fast action the camera is in M. The difference is that by programming all of my preferences like burst rate, metering, AF tracking, M, etc. etc. ad-nauseum into Custom Mode 1, I can set the mode dial there, have everything properly set up, and still have the ability to spin the aperture and shutter dials as needed. It really is the best of both worlds, and no need to worry about what I may have changed in the camera last time I was shooting a flower or landscape.

Yup, Portrait, Action and Landscape ---- and I still don't really bother ---- I am more likely to hold down the AF-ON and use that mode-switch for those "oh sh*t, there's a bird" moments

I don't see the need for it for things like landscape and portraits, nor do I see a need when successful shots aren't critical and a few 'oops' shots are ok. that's relaxed shooting. I don't have that luxury. There's enough to think about without having to worry if I've remembered to put everything back where it was supposed to be, including safety and working with other photographers to make sure we aren't getting in each other's way. Mode 1 takes care of the camera end so I can pay attention to the rest.

The P A L settings are Mark Galer’s suggestions as a way to remember what 1 2 and 3 are set to. I started with those, then varied them. My 1 is set to studio shooting ( M, ISO 100, sync speed, etc) while 2 is still action ( A, auto-ISO, min shutter speed, etc). Still haven’t locked in what I want as 3, although I might play with setting it up for focus bracket (because I expect to need a bunch of unusual settings).

I agree, the big advantage with setting up the modes is to be able to clean up after setting something odd - it’s so annoying to realise you have tried to shoot using a studio strobe at 1/2000, for example.

I'd like to whine about all the whining, but I'm having dinner, and I don't like to whine and dine (sorry, that pun was crying out to be made).

I've seen (on another site - the people here are smarter) someone claiming that the "AI" chip is a hoax, and that the new AF could be added to any Sony camera. Apparently the information came "from an inside source" (perhaps inside a bottle?).

---

Has anyone noticed that the neck strap supplied with Sony cameras is getting cheaper? I didn't bother putting the one that came with the A7RV onto my camera, but I noticed the edges felt kind of "sharp". I don't think it would be all that comfortable to use for long.

---

As an anti-whine - I bought a pair of Sony headphones recently, and they really are trying to improve their packaging. No styrofoam, and no plethora of plastic bags. The A7RV was similar - cleverly folded cardboard packaging and reduced waste. I like that.
I am with you on the straps. Junk and what is with the el cheapo lens bags? For the amount of money invested I would have hoped for something other than a pull string.

I am with you on the straps. Junk and what is with the el cheapo lens bags? For the amount of money invested I would have hoped for something other than a pull string.
Not much to complain about then?

I notice that the 20-70 and 70-200 f/4 G II did not come with "pouches" - no bag at all. I think that's a good thing - I have a bunch of zipped lens cases for GM lenses, but the lenses are never in them.

I would love to see a 200-400 f/4 with built in TC, like Canon's.

I went to Sony because of the sensor size and resolution in a mirror-less body, many of the feature others here talk about as must haves, deal breakers or needs have never meant much to me. I am pretty simple in my needs in the controls of a camera, and do use much in the way custom settings. So for me the results are what I like about Sony. My disappointments with Sony in the beginning was in the lack of lens options, like the other camera companies I had come from. I went with some Zeiss Batis lenses which were fine I guess back then. Since that time I have been very glad to see they have more than made up for that lack of lenses. Yes there are still some lenses I wish they would make like a 300mm F2,8, a 120mm F1.8 Macro, a pancake like a 28 or 35 f2.
My biggest issue with Sony was the lack of a new version of the RX1RII, my first full frame Sony camera that made me want to be in the Sony camera world. I realize that they were a lot of money on paper for what they did but I find the camera a joy to shoot with. A few years ago I thought they will never make an updated version because of the cost but then Leica has now done 3 version of theirs. Those Leica Qs are in demand, so there might still be market fora new Sony one. Instead I will probably have to buy a A7CR and a pancake lens and spend more money than a new RX1RIII would sell for.

I went to Sony because of the sensor size and resolution in a mirror-less body, many of the feature others here talk about as must haves, deal breakers or needs have never meant much to me. I am pretty simple in my needs in the controls of a camera, and do use much in the way custom settings. So for me the results are what I like about Sony. My disappointments with Sony in the beginning was in the lack of lens options, like the other camera companies I had come from. I went with some Zeiss Batis lenses which were fine I guess back then. Since that time I have been very glad to see they have more than made up for that lack of lenses. Yes there are still some lenses I wish they would make like a 300mm F2,8, a 120mm F1.8 Macro, a pancake like a 28 or 35 f2.
My biggest issue with Sony was the lack of a new version of the RX1RII, my first full frame Sony camera that made me want to be in the Sony camera world. I realize that they were a lot of money on paper for what they did but I find the camera a joy to shoot with. A few years ago I thought they will never make an updated version because of the cost but then Leica has now done 3 version of theirs. Those Leica Qs are in demand, so there might still be market fora new Sony one. Instead I will probably have to buy a A7CR and a pancake lens and spend more money than a new RX1RIII would sell for.
I'd just buy a used Q2 and call it a day. Great value now that the Q3 is out. Will probably get most of your money back if you decide to sell.
Even if you hold out for a Q3 - it's probably the A7 R IV sensor anyway. :)

I find the A1 / Q2 a great pair. Instead of bringing a fast prime like the 35GM on a trip I bring the Q2. Lovely to operate.
20-70 for day, Q2 for low light/night.

Back