So just interested to know what is your camera brand history if you did not start with sony

Yes, lets call it a bridge camera then. I think I owned 2.....both Olympus. I was disappointed in both, but it really was user error, and lack of knowledge on my part. I'm sure the cameras were much better than I experienced, just due to my lack of skill. But now, with some knowledge, and opportunity, I am loving photography.

Hi,
I started out with Canon and first camera I cannot remember model or lenses but I sold everything I had to get a Canon 70D with a Tamron 150-600mm. I also got a Sigma 18-35mm Art lens for Astro and landscapes.
Just over18 months ago a bumped into a Sony shooter and got a try with her Sony A7 iii and the 100-400 G master lens. Well it was like night and day, just loved it. So I traded everything in apart from the Sigma 18-35 Art and purchased Sony A7iii with a 100-400 G master lens.

I now have added a Sony X2 Teleconverter and an mc-11 adapter.

The next stage is to get the Sony FE 24mm f/1.4 GM Lens, but will sell the X2 and the mc -11 with the Sigma Art lens to help pay for it.

that's it for now

Thanks for starting this thread Gary. It’s definitely interesting to hear everyone’s camera history. I wonder how much we have all spent so far? 😂

If we don’t count disposable cameras 🙂 then my first camera was the Sony DSC-P9 Cybershot which I purchased back in 2002. I wasn’t so into photography back then but wanted a little travel camera as at the time I was living in Germany and travelling around quite a bit. At some point I replaced this for the Canon Powershot G9 which was an awesome little shooter. I had a brief affair with a Canon EOS 10D but decided it was just far too big and heavy and it rarely left my bag, so I sold it and stuck with the G9 for a few more years.

In around 2013 I experimented with my first mirrorless camera, the Canon EOS M. But it turns out that I still wasn’t quite ready for swapping lenses so sold that and purchased a little Canon PowerShot SX700 HS.

In 2016 I returned to Sony when I picked up the RX100 IV and was blown away by the quality of this tiny little camera. I still own and use this camera occasionally today.

I purchased the Sony a6000 and my first Alpha camera in early 2017 around the same time that I started this site.

Since then I’ve owned the a6300, a6500 and a7R II all of which I no longer own. I currently own the a7R III which I would have sold if I hadn’t tripped over a rock and put a dent in it along with my head, so I figured I might as well keep it rather than take a low offer. I also own the a6400, a7R IV, a9, a7III and recently the a7 IV.

If it wasn’t for running this site there’s no way I would own or be allowed to own so many cameras! I’d probably just go with the a1 which is next on my list when we have finally sorted out our housing situation and the a6400 for travel.

I also own a Canon R5 which is a fantastic camera. I just wish my 200-600 would fit on it as this would be a great combination.

One way of knowing when you have far too much camera gear is when your insurance bill is around £800 a year! 😂

Where do you get insurance? This actually just came up for me yesterday. I was asked to do something in a professional setting and the concern came to me immediately.

I use personal item insurance and I make sure that I state that I do not do professional work (i.e. no money exchange for services rendered). Personal item insurance is a replacement cost insurance without a deductible. All the gear I insure is listed with serial number and replacement cost and if the item costs more than $2,000, I must provide a receipt.

Started of with a Pentax in film days and migrated to Canon digital which I stayed loyal to for over 20 yrs , went through a 400D , 500D , 550D , 7D , 7Dmkii , 1DX and 1DXmkii together with a whole estate of Canon lenses and flash gear . Having then tried my mates Sony A9 for a session out with him I was blown away by the autofocus system and it was like something off another planet compared to my 1DXmkii and I made the decision to sell all my Canon gear and make the switch to Sony. I did have doubts initially about switching as I knew everything about my Canon kit and it was a big call after so many years but I can honestly say I have not regretted it for one single minute and absolutely love the Sony kit I currently shoot with.

Re the insurance. I just have mine added to the house insurance, and it is fully covered for accidental damage inside and outside the house. If you aren't a pro photographer (making your living form it) this is all you need and costs pence on top, if anything at all. You only have to list anything of higher value than 2.5k, and obviously have proof of ownership should you need to claim. My house insurance, buildings and contents including all the gear is less than £200 PA

I'm at $600 a year and I don't have everything insured. 😬
I'm guilty of not insuring everything as well. I normally just cover the expensive items that I might not be able to afford to replace comfortably.

Re the insurance. I just have mine added to the house insurance, and it is fully covered for accidental damage inside and outside the house. If you aren't a pro photographer (making your living form it) this is all you need and costs pence on top, if anything at all. You only have to list anything of higher value than 2.5k, and obviously have proof of ownership should you need to claim. My house insurance, buildings and contents including all the gear is less than £200 PA
I've tried to add mine to the home insurance in the past but because camera gear goes through my business I was told I wouldn't be covered. But I'm going to look into new home insurance soon if we complete our house purchase, as it would definitely be cheaper if I could wrap it all up into one policy. Who are you using for home insurance Kev?

Where do you get insurance? This actually just came up for me yesterday. I was asked to do something in a professional setting and the concern came to me immediately.
Not sure about insurance in the US I'm afraid, I'm using PhotoGuard here in the UK.

I've sent an email off to my agent. In thinking about it, I don't even know if what I have would be fully covered in the house, let alone out and about. I am fairly certain there isn't enough to cover my collection of film stuff.

I've tried to add mine to the home insurance in the past but because camera gear goes through my business I was told I wouldn't be covered. But I'm going to look into new home insurance soon if we complete our house purchase, as it would definitely be cheaper if I could wrap it all up into one policy. Who are you using for home insurance Kev?
Admiral now, as they undercut Aviva by £80 this year. We also have some expensive jewellery insured the same way. Obviously area makes a difference, but not that much.

Long history: Kodak Instamatic, my dad's Canon FTb, then Canon AE-1, Canon A1, early Canon EOS Rebel, Canon 10D, Lumiz TZ50, Canon 40D, Sony 6400 and now a9.

First one was a Brownie when I was quite young. I know I had a camera in the Army (68-73), but I don’t remember what it was. When our daughter was born I got a Minolta. A few years later I moved on to Nikon and got a Nikkormat (my daughter now has that camera, among others). Then went to a Mamiya medium format. Then back to Nikon, winding up after several predecessors with the D850. I gave my daughter the D850 and she takes spectacular photos with it. After the D850 I went to Leica. The first Leica was the M Type 240 with 35mm and 50 mm lenses. I still have that Leica. I decided to get a Leica Q next. Gave that one to my daughter’s boyfriend and got the Leica Q2, which I still have. Decided to give Fuji a try and got the X100V; I like that camera very much and still have it. I decided I wanted to go back to the DSLR type camera. One of my golf buddies is a Sony enthusiast and we had many discussions about his a7 iv. So, I got the a7R iv along with a Sigma f2 24-70 and a Sony f1.8 35 mm. There were numerous Canon and Nikon point and shoot cameras over the years, none of which remain in my inventory.

I was a Nikon guy for more than 20 years. N65, D70, D200, D800.

My wife has all Canon gear, the latest body being a T7i (800D). It's nice that we can share lenses now that I have a Sony again.

My first camera was a Kodak 110 when I was like 9. I went to 35mm when I was 12 with a Pentax K1000 that I got for Christmas that year and moved to the ME Super w/ winder at 14 and the Super Program w/ motor drive at 16 or 17. At 19 I migrated to Nikon and got a used F2 with the motor drive and was hooked on Nikon for a long time. Got a F3 w/MD then to autofocus with the F5 and then to digital with he D2X. That was where things ended for me as the cropped DX sensor really messed with my abilities and I refused to replace my FX lenses with DX lenses so I walked away from photography or about 12 years. I decided it was time to get back into a hobby that I had loved for so long this year and did all the research. I decided mirrorless was the way to go and looked at Canon, Nikon and Sony to determent that at this time Sony was the big player in the mirrorless full frame game.

Ok I often see new members state new to Sony so I was wondering what brands and gear you used before Sony and your reason for changing? I started about 35 years ago with Pentax me film camera then stopped for 30 plus years when my grown up kids where asking about cameras for holiday trips abroad so I looked at what was out there around 2014 and liked the Sony a77ii so that powered me back to photography. One of the other plus points for me was that I could buy the excellent vintage Minolta lenses. So what your story?
Just clarify pentax me first real camera, then a couple of fujis a long lay off and a77ii ,then a99ii then a7iii, and a9 best body so far, and I dont want to think about the thousands I have spent on prime lenses along the way
I was a former Nikon user and my other hobby that was competing for funds at the time is cycling. I ended up selling everything to support my habit, 4 bikes later I re-entered the ring and was trialing my daughter's Canon. I wasn't impressed and the more I read about Sony the more I became interested. I just picked up my A7 IV yesterday and am really surprised at how incredible the results are. I also own a Mamiya 645 that I absolutely love for landscape photos.

Cheers
Steve

Glad to see this thread is still running thanks all , just wondering if anyone has had the excellent rx1r? I just remembered that one wow that was super travel camera excellent lens, down side well known for pulling dust on to sensor it killed mine, sony do not repair these anymore I was told, version 2 too costly at 3k in the uk crazy money

These are the cameras I've owned I think. In this exact order. I've been a bit all over the place. Going from a "proper" camera, to a compact camera and back again a couple of times. Interest has been on and off ever since I started. Last year it completely turned for me and I got obsessed again, more so than ever before.

Canon Ixus 400
Canon EOD 350D
Canon Powershot S90
Panasonic G9
Panasonic LX100
Fujifilm X-T30
Nikon Z6
Sony A7 III

No brand loyalty apparently, haha!

re INSURANCE: If you live in USA you can get camera insurance if you become a member of NANPA (North American Nature Photography Association).

re: CAMERA HISTORY (some of these I eventually got a second body)...

Pentax A3000 (35mm film) circa 1986 - sold
Pentax K1000 (35mm film) circa 1988 - sold
Canon Elaniie (35mm film) circa 1997 - sold
Canon EOS 1 (35mm film) circa 2004? - sold
Canon EOS 1N (35mm film) circa 2006? - sold
Canon 5Dii (full frame digital) 2010 - sold
Canon 5Diii (full frame digital) circa 2013 - sold
Canon 5Div (full frame digital) circa circa 2016 - sold
Nikon D850 (full frame digital) 2019,2021 - still own both (with 3 lenses & 1.4x)
Nikon D500 (APS-C digital) 2020 - sold (with one lens)
Sony A74 (full frame digital) 2022 - still own (with one lens & 1.4x)

MY OPINION (take it or leave it)...

The Nikon D850 is the best DSLR ever made, I love it, and cannot imagine I will stop using the two I own in the foreseeable future. Mirrorless cameras are not as enjoyable to use as a true SLR for me, but I bought the Sony solely to use with their stellar 200-600 lens for wildlife. (I sold my D500 and 500 f/5.6PF lens because the lack of zoom was too limiting). When Nikon finally comes out with their listed (but not yet announced) 200-600 for Z Mount, I may trade out my Sony (especially if they also release the rumored Z8 which is mirrorless equivalent of D850). Then again I may not for financial reasons.

The Nikon D850 may be the best DSLR ever made but because of the many advantages of a good mirrorless camera that a DSLR can never hope to have, I have absolutely no interest in the DSLR technology. a1 & happy.

Mirrorless cameras are not as enjoyable to use as a true SLR for me,
Interesting comment. What is it about a DSLR you like better then a mirrorless? The only thing that comes immediately to my mind is balance with a large lens due to the added weight and size of a DSLR body, but other than that, what advantages?

@MrFotoFool,

I am guessing you are not including the D5 in your statement about the D850, correct?

I’d consider the D850 more useful than the D5. The D5 can shoot at a higher frame rate, but it’s only 20Mp - enough if you are very good, but less forgiving if you need to crop. The D850 is more flexible. Think of it as being similar to the A9 vs the A1, if the A9 had a faster shooting rate than the A1 (which may happen when we see the A9 mark III) - I’ll still choose the A1.

I’d characterise the D850 as perhaps the best all-round DSLR available today.

Since more than one person asked, here is why I prefer Nikon SLR to Sony (or any other) mirrorless.
1. Better ergonomics/balance with large lenses.
2. Much better battery life.
3. More comfortable/natural viewfinder.

Other people, of course, are free to use whatever they like best. If you like mirrorless (specifically Sony), that's great. Enjoy your camera and have fun. I am sure there will be more replies, but I won't see them for a while since I am going to Belgium and France tomorrow (with my beloved D850 and leaving the Sony at home, since I am not doing wildlife).

Since more than one person asked, here is why I prefer Nikon SLR to Sony (or any other) mirrorless.
1. Better ergonomics/balance with large lenses.
2. Much better battery life.
3. More comfortable/natural viewfinder.

Other people, of course, are free to use whatever they like best. If you like mirrorless (specifically Sony), that's great. Enjoy your camera and have fun. I am sure there will be more replies, but I won't see them for a while since I am going to Belgium and France tomorrow (with my beloved D850 and leaving the Sony at home, since I am not doing wildlife).
It wasn't a challenge, just a question. I get 1 and 2, although batteries are small and easy to pocket. I don't get #3 anymore. I guess if that's what you're used to, but having made the switch to mirrorless some time ago, I am firmly in the WYSIWYG camp. Looking through a viewfinder and seeing the effect of your settings is an advantage when you're spinning dials on the fly.

Have fun in Belgium and France, I went there on vacation as a kid.

It wasn't a challenge, just a question. I get 1 and 2, although batteries are small and easy to pocket. I don't get #3 anymore. I guess if that's what you're used to, but having made the switch to mirrorless some time ago, I am firmly in the WYSIWYG camp. Looking through a viewfinder and seeing the effect of your settings is an advantage when you're spinning dials on the fly.

Have fun in Belgium and France, I went there on vacation as a kid.
I still have my Sony a99ii and have started to realize I use it less than ever but given the collection of a-mount prime glass I will be keeping it and yes it's a great camera but it cannot shoot silent which I love and it's a real handful given my shoulder and wrist and back issues after 40 odd years in heavy construction, last year they were selling for 2k plus here in the Uk so I did consider selling it, Oh a quick news flash I still have my a77ii but that's a crop body and could come in handy. To be honest I have all my camera bodies bar 2 and they are the a7 mk1 I hated that slow to focus body and the other is the rxr mk1 which was excellent until it sucked in a load of crap on a trip to Grand Canyon America a known issue Sony haven't cracked on version 2 and that's 3k, I love that Zeiss 35 mm lens, well that turned in to a rant sorry people

I came within inches of buying an A99II right toward the end of the run, but the writing was on the wall for the A-Mount system. Glad now I didn't. I doubt I'd use it at all and it would've likely ended up being sold at a loss. Great camera for it's time, but the A-Mount adapters are effective and take up less space. I ended up selling off all of my A-Mount cameras with the exception of two Minolta Maxxum 7000s.

I really like the smaller bodies. I can't even imagine adding the bulk and weight of a battery grip. I can stick a battery in my pocket and swap it out in a few seconds, and shooting vertical is a spin of the wrist. It's faster to rotate the camera than it is to change to a different grip. I know some folks love them, just not for me.

...I am firmly in the WYSIWYG camp. Looking through a viewfinder and seeing the effect of your settings is an advantage when you're spinning dials on the fly....
Even though I don't like the look of an electronic viewfinder, I figured some people would like it for the convenience of seeing the exposure setting appearance. The look of an EVF is something that is being constantly improved, and both Sony and Nikon are ahead of Canon in this regard (though I haven't seen the newest Canon R6 or R3, so maybe they are just as good?). I had the opportunity to briefly try a Canon R5 on two different occasions and it was hideous. (Interestingly, Timothy Mayo seems to love his). The Nikon Z9 is supposedly the closest to the look of an SLR viewfinder and I wish I had asked to look through my brother's when he visited here a couple months ago. Not that I would spend $5.5 thousand on a camera body. But if they put the same (or improved) technology in a rumored Z8 that is the theoretical mirrorless equivalent of D850, including a larger body size than their current Z7ii or the current Sony bodies, and they finally release the roadmapped 200-600 and it's as sharp as the Sony I own, then maybe someone here will get a good deal on my well treated Sony setup. ;)

Of course this is all being nitpicky as we are all spoiled for choice. Modern cameras and lenses are so good (and have been for years) that it is nearly impossible to buy a bad setup, regardless of brand.

I can see them putting the same viewfinder in the new 8 as is in the 9. They can skimp in other places but the viewfinder is a draw. One of the biggest complaints I hear regardless of the brand or format is the viewfinder. It doesn't bother me, but I do get it. Everyone used to complain about the viewfinder in Panasonic's GX9, and wondered why it was so bad compared to the fantastic viewfinder in the G9. I had both, and it never bothered me. I guess if I were shooting a lot of landscapes/flowers etc. I might be more aware.

The good news is that as you say, everything is under constant improvement. With the ILC market shrinking faster and faster they manufacturers are scurrying to stay ahead of the competition.

Back